1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'm interested in which direction you go.

I'm trying to replace my racing addiction with a dual sport addiction. I bought a new KTM500 EXCF last year. It is amazing but very geared towards serious off-road. I think the perfect ADV stable has two bikes. One like my KTM and one more road oriented like the Tenere, GS, 1190, etc. I haven't decided which for me yet. I probably lean more towards the Multi or big KTM.

Like we have talked about before, I am doing a big Alaska ride in June. We are renting 800GS's in Anchorage. I can report back on that bike when I am done.

Also, I just sent in my deposit for an off-road ride through Cambodia. We are going in February of next year! :eek: That will be on WR450's.

acorn27 and rd400racer like this.
  2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Tiger 800. With right tires its pretty damn good.

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Two friends have done trips to cambodia. One just went a month or two ago, the other a few years ago. Both had a fantastic trip from what I gather. The first two guys basically just rented XR's for a week and wandered around the backcountry and followed trails.

Link to ADV Rider thread:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...wo-hammocks-jungle-madness-and-danger.749495/

4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Tenere for sure in that case. I've seen what one will do and its damn impressive. Soft luggage only , I had the alum boxes on my Vstrom and they are painful in a tip over. I got to where I liked just a large Wolfman on the pillon seat.

5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Actually, I was referring to the new one. A friend (and seasoned ADV. guy) in Colorado bought one and raved about it.. https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

6. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Got to admit ADV bikes make great all-rounders. Brought a Ducati Enduro last summer, so far its a lot of fun. image1.jpg

7. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

2013 KTM 690- only ridden some week long trips (800-1100) miles round trip. I like it. It is fast and a hooligan bike. I want to do some mods, but as of now bike is stock...other than luggage.
    Bought my boy a 2006 GMD spec'd KLR (Kent rides one and has some great suspension settings) w extended re-valved frx and Penske shock from a good friend...haven't ridden it on any trips.
    Just put together a back road/dirt road route from Atlantic Beach to Barber for the upcoming tire test and plan to ride it Friday and Saturday

If you visit the adv forum, I have the same handle there

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Imho , that Kawasaki can't hold a candle to the DR 650 .. I've ridden both and have a 2000 DR 650 . It is the best Dual sport in that size and price range . And Pro Sport has many upgrades to suspension and engine ( 800cc) kits that are unbelievable.
    Edit : Pro Cycle , not Pro sport !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    roy826ex likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

As seen on an aviation website....plus its in Portland, OR so you can start your ownership out right with a cross country trip.

Price drop--- 7200

Excellent 2012 Yamaha super tenere - 73xx Miles
    Bike used for commuting - never been off-road.
    Never been dropped.
    Oxford Heated grips
    LED ads-on lights (PMAA)
    Tail trunk that accommodates full face helmet
    Second owner.
    Stock windscreen but comes with a larger brand new windscreen.
    Awesome bike but a bit too heavy for me - I am going back to a sport tourer like the interceptor.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The thumpers are nice and all. But they lack in getting to the good stuff.
    Hell all the “adventure” bikes lack in some regard. I just found it easier to settle for something that did the most of what I wantd to, in a way i was comfortable with.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thanks, but trust me, I've looked at every Tenere and used GS for sale in America :D

And there's plenty of great deals just like the one you've shown. You can get a lot of motorcycle for 7-12,000. Just depends how far I want to drive.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

For all you guys that say you need a KLR650 and other bikes don't work that well off road! Go Super Enduro :D

XFBO and JBall like this.
  13. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a perfect adv bike for all, I think it boils down to terrain you wanna ride, and how hard you wanna ride that terrain... any bike can be an adv bike, just how hard do you wanna work to ride it.

acorn27, 5axis and CowboyRR like this.
  14. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I had a '14 Super Tenere and a plated WR450. I'm not a big road rider and that Tenere was just too heavy for me to ride much offroad. Then I started reading about guys like Walt Colebatch and his Sibirsky Extreme, and Aaron Steinman riding his EXC 500 from New Zealand to Prudhoe, then RTW and now I have an FE501. Last summer I trucked the 501 to Alaska and rode with an old friend from there. This year I retire in May and I'll be in Alaska most of the summer. We plan to be in Prudhoe for Summer Solstice and then riding as much as we can off of the Denali Highway. I'm also making plans to ride the CDT, COBDR and NMBDR. I know for a fact I couldn't do much of this on the Tenere. I think a younger rider in better shape could do the same on a 690/701 that I do on my 501 and be more comfortable on longer highway rides. There's just too much adventure riding in the mountains of Colorado and the Canyon Lands in UTAH for me to have anything besides a 501.

ruckusracing likes this.
  15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

It all depends upon what your definition of "adventure" is. For some BMW GS riders, the "adventure" is getting to the next Starbucks. I also know a GS rider that has run his bike, surprisingly well, in trials and hare scrambles. I've taken the 990R thru Black Dragon canyon, and will never do that again. By the same token, that is the only bike I could do OK City to the Pacific in 9 days on dirt, change tires, and ride slab back to OK City in 3 days. Could it have been done on a thumper? Yeah, but the sore ass and numb hands would preclude ever doing anything similar again.

Decide what you want to do, then select the bike, or in my case, bikes, by which to handle the various situations. I'm not a GS or a Tenere fan. However, that is a matter of preference, and there are those that will swear and die by them. The KTM 950/990's are damn tough to beat for bona fide do it all, albeit big, bikes. But, they handle their weight better than any other big bike of which I'm aware, and they'll do excellent two up with bags duty; that was our two up touring bike for years before I added the Multistrada Enduro. It (Duc) is a better road bike, but not nearly the off road bike. I've had the 990R on rocky, nasty hill climbs as brutal as anything experienced racing Baja (i.e., the Summit), and it handled it with aplomb. Likewise, I've had it airborne, and it handled it well. In both circumstances, it was the bike that made and saved the day; the rider was simply along for the ride.

I rode an ex-Dakar 640 and a KLR650 alternately for 5 days over 12 passes all over 12,000 ft. in Colorado several years ago. Both had their attributes and poor qualities. The KLR was easy to ride and putt along up and over the worst passes. The KTM had magnificent power and suspension, but it required more revs and was more work to ride. I was fortunate to be able to experience both back to back to back to back. Which was best? Neither - it depends on your preferences and riding style and desires. I love my XR650R. But, it's a kick start only and folks loathe it for that alone. But, it's low end torque makes it easy to ride, and it is a verable anvil. Yes, it is somewhat big and heavy (compared to KTM 500's), but so am I. What's the point? In addition to handling nasty single track, it will run 100 mph and soak up whatever comes at it. Then again, I like BSA's. Go figure.

Bottom line: get something and go! You'll figure out what you like and dislike. Sell it, get something else, and go! Don't overthink it and don't get analysis paralysis. Riding season is here. Get something and go! Life is short and motos are meant to be used, enjoyed, sold and used and enjoyed by someone else.

Cheers,

Dave

SuddenBraking, beac83, G2G and 2 others like this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone claiming the KLR to be great off road....it's just that you can bash it against trees and rocks and it doesn't look or run any worse. If you do manage to break one, it can be fixed with a smaller rock and maybe some tree sap. And no shit a KTM SE does everything pretty well...it had better for the price.

17. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Are you friends with Swamp? He writes some cool trip blogs and seems like an all-around interesting guy.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It only took a few posts to turn this place into f#cking ADVrider.com. Thanks Tolstoy. Pretty sure you covered it. :D

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've ridden with him a few years ago but nothing recently, I'm not in B'ham so haven't seen him in a while. The other guy, Mulley, I've ridden with him quite a bit and still do (we are headed to CO this summer). Both are great guys.

and this place isn't close to ADVrider. you don't get banned for looking the wrong way at someone. :crackup::moon: Way more fun here... :dead:

JBraun likes this.
  20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’ve ridden my multi up to and beyond it’s limitations off road. Although it’s better than most people think, if your travels take you off the beaten path more than maybe 20% of the time, you want something more aggressive.

The small wheels are the big issue. In any kind of sand it’s a handful. I’ve also been super nervous negotiating washed out roads in Mexico with deep mud ruts. The small front wheel and big rotors don’t leave much margin for error.

Despite it’s shortcomings, all is forgiven once you return to pavement. I test rode the enduro model and wasn’t impressed. There’s no 600lb motorcycle that’s going to handle like a 450, so you’re still limited off-road, but with the enduro you’re also limited on pavement. I’d rather have a bike that puts a big smile on my face on the road where 90% of my miles are, than a bike that’s just ok at everything.

XFBO, 83BSA and cBJr like this.