1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Tool tube

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I mounted a couple of those on my versys when I rode to Alsaka. On another note, my buddy with the KTM 950 is going to sell it, if anyone is interested I'll get the specs and send them your way. It's currently in Petaluma Ca.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

The question really isn't DO IT.......That is the stated destination !!!

Just makes a difference what parts are on fire in 4 days, and where it is clear.

5. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

The one I rode was much more than a drip, my boot was partially covered, side of the engines and frame had streaks on it in 12 miles. I did like the bike and the DCT is something I could get used too.

Dan

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

It’s a weird thing but mine did the same thing after the PDI ride it had 2 miles on it. Didn’t notice it until I had hauled it home in my truck. Said screw it and just went and rode it. No more leak. I’ve noticed the only time it’ll really leak is after it’s sat a few days or longer and on start up. I’ve monitored my loss and it’s not even measurable. I connected s small clear hose to the drain nipple On back side of the cover where water pump is at and routed it to under the bike. Better way for me to monitor any loss. Wind catches it straight out of that drain nipple and it looks like a gallon when in fact it was nothing more than a drop or two.

Like I said Honda is aware of it and many do it some just more than others. I concluded it’s a supplier issue with the pump. Since it’s not serviceable and Honda doesn’t make parts they assemble parts just like everyone else. It’s not a huge repair if it’s needed. But I’ve read where customers have it repaired and the new part does the same thing. I’ll hold off on mine for the mean time since it hasn’t been a real problem. And I have all the parts to repair it if I need too on a rainy cold day at the house.

7. RGV 500

Right now, I am on my way back to Seattle. Stopped in Whitehorse for the night. Interesting walking around town.

I will post a day by day when I get back to the homeland.

Truly amazing that 5th wheel RV pilots will drive 80 all day long (MPH, not KPH)

Cheers !!!

baconologist likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. Then, they get on the RV forums and bitch about blowouts.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. RGV 500

OK, here is the trip as I can best recall............not all of it will be posted at once.

Day 1: We get out of my place on time and head for the USA / Canada border. Sign halfway there says that Sumas wait is 5 min and Lynden is 10-15. We head for Sumas, wait the 3 cars worth of delay and the man in the office asks 2 or 3 questions and says 'Welcome to Canada' and we're back on our way. The planned destination for today is Prince George in BC, which Google Maps says is 533 miles. Not much drama on the way, just logging miles and burning fuel. When we get within 'range' of PG, we notice a storm that looks pretty nasty on our left, but it looks like we will just miss it. We were horribly wrong. Temperature was about 65 and sunny, right up until Steve and I start getting pelted with HAIL. There was nowhere to hide from this stuff that was just smaller than a ping pong ball and it hurt like hell. Overpasses did not exist where we were, so we got to be part of the nature experience. Welts and bruises lasted about 3 or 4 days. Hurt like hell. The good news is that we are definitely on the right bikes. I am on my KTM 1090 Adventure R and Steve is on his BMW F800 GSA. Both equipped with the proper gear, but no industrial umbrella. After the pelting and the distance, we decide that we will NOT be heading for Whitehorse on Day 2, but will try to get somewhere halfway. The Iron Butt 1000 is no joke. I am pretty sure we will eventually do it, but we did not have sufficient planning for it on this trip, so we bagged it. We call it a day and grab some grub and rest of up for day 2.

Day 2: Destination is Fort Nelson BC. Map says 809 km and we point it north. Only real thing worth noting on this trip was a couple that we were heading to the same place and stopping at the same places for gas as they were. On the way to the first gas stop, Steve sees them parked on the side of the road and stops. I keep going until I notice that he has stopped, so I turn around and go back to see what the deal is. He points to the side of the road and there is a bear standing there eating, trying to ignore the unwanted attention. We take a few pictures and a short video and head north. Somehow, they get to the next gas stop as we are finishing filling up the bikes and figuring out where lunch will be. Steve goes over to ask them a question since they are also from Washington. The guy says, you have to see the picture my girlfriend too. She has a shot of the bear that we saw with its head inside the window area of the passenger side of her car. Steve yells over to me and says 'you have GOT to see this!!!' I take a look at the phone and, sure enough, there is a picture of a bears head in her car window. They both think it is a 'great shot' and are happy about it. Neither one understands how close she came to not seeing the next day. She says that it swiped a hat out of her car and shredded it. It never occurred to them that it could have been her. Only thing I can say is WOW......and I walked away shaking my head. We get to Fort Nelson and grab dinner and call it a day.

baconologist, cBJr and pscook like this.
  10. Newsshooter

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

12. RGV 500

OK, here we go for Day 3......

We load up in Fort Nelson and head out for Watson Lake, BC. Other than being on the main road going north, Watson Lake does have one sort of unique feature to it. There is a fairly large collection of signs, large and small, but all solid (no decals) there, just off the main road. I heard someone say that at last count, there were somewhere around 17,700 signs there, but the count was a while ago.

On the way there, we pass deputy donut going the other way and (unfortunately....) get his attention. The lights come on and he stops us for a bit of a 'chat'. Fortunately, as soon as he starts talking to us, we find out that he is really cool and his main motivation was asking me about the KTM. Turns out he has one ordered and will pick it up next week and wanted to know what I thought of it having ridden a few thousand miles on it by this point. I give him the rundown and he smiles and says 'just keep it under 80' and heads the other way. I guess if you have to get stopped, that is the best result possible.

You can't miss Watson Lake: https://www.yukoninfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/watson-lake-signpost-forest.jpg

We get there and find a 'motorcycle friendly hotel and look for dinner somewhere. Not much serious cuisine in the area, but we find passable dinner and head back to the hotel to plan the destination for Day 4.

Day 4......

Heading out of Watson Lake with the declared destination of Haines Junction. Not much to tell on this leg. More of just a 'let's burn up some fuel while we head North type of ride. No sightings of Dr. Oakley, but I was paying attention, just in case. On the way there, we passed through the capital of the Yukon and took a bit of a detour off the main (intended) path looking for some thing that Steve was looking for, but never did find there. That only cost us about 10 minutes, so no biggie. Eventually, he found what he was looking for at the busiest fuel stop I have ever seen. After figuring out where we would be staying, it was the usual eat, plan, pass out scenario that has become pretty familiar.

Day 5......

Destination Tok, Alaska. Heading out of Haines Junction the road finally starts to change and about 3 hours out, we come to the shed that is also the US Customs Office. Oddly enough, the US office and the Canadian office are about 20 km apart. In any case, it works. The guy that was at the window did not seem to appreciate his assignment to that area because other than the customs building, there was not much else there. At first, it seemed like it was not a big deal, but heading toward Tok, we did not see another building until we were actually almost in Tok. Oh yeah, once we crossed the border back into the US, the roads got noticeably more shitty again. Gotta hand it to the Canadians as far as road construction goes, they build them way better than we do. They may not mark them as well, but they are drastically better to ride on. Dinner and breakfast at Fast Eddies. For me, they were the same. Pepperoni pizza. It was not bad.

I will leave you in Tok for today. Rest up.....

13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You missed a great dirt/gravel road:

Immediately before you cross the bridge at Johnson's Crossing (good cinnamon rolls), you turn right (north) onto the old Canol Road. Well graded and maintained, thru beautiful back country, and drops you off close to Ross River. That's the north route up thru Dawson City. You'll take Top of the World "Highway" and the ferry into Dawson City. Worth the visit.

Maybe you did that on the way back? I'll standby to standby . . . . .

Edit: Gas is an issue . . . There's nothing between Ross River and Johnson's Crossing, and I think it is close to 200 miles . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

baconologist likes this.
  14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Having some weekend fun on the 640
    FB_IMG_1566154928601.jpg

Britt, baconologist and motion like this.
  15. Newsshooter

Too bad you didn't ride to Haines, one of the prettiest roads anywhere!!!! Not much in Tok though we stayed in a nice cabin, and not expensive, just south of town. :)

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Anybody else stoked for the Yamaha T7?

I’ve grown tired of all the media buildup, speculation, and so forth. However, the 44T video looks pretty awesome. I only wish it was offered with cruise control, so I could trade my 800XCx and save nearly 100lbs.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Looks great, but I'm skeptical. The reviewer above hasn't ridden the 790R yet.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I think, the guest commenter (name escapes me) was pretty accurate in the KTM being for the top 5% of riders and the T7 for the rest of us. There’s no doubt the 790 is an awesome bike, but, I’ve no interest in that much bike, weight, or cost.

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I was just sitting here thinking about this thread. I am getting together next week with my two adv riding buddies. We need a destination for next year. We have done Costa Rica, Alaska, Cambodia and the MABDR for our bigger trips. Who has a good suggestion? I've been looking at everything from Croatia to Cuba to one of the western BDR's.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've ridden with friends that have the 790 R's. Fantastic bike, can't wait to see the Yamaha. Much more simple design, no electronics, lower price but also lower specs on some items (43mm fork tubes?).

Weight looks like it's the same or within 10lbs. I was hoping someone would hit closer to 400 pounds ready to ride, but that looks like a pipe dream for me.

I'll keep my 12 year old 950 SE and keep chugging along.

ducnut likes this.