1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

We’ve only done the KAT in the dry thus far. I think I’m gonna try to ride it again this Labor Day weekend. We might all take small bikes this time so we can do more hard sections.

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I just completed 800 miles in N GA, NC and TN last week with a bunch of big ADV bike buddies. Camped at Suches for the week. I was on my Zuki 1000 not my Africa Twin lol. Pretty sure I had the most fun of anyone in the group.

TLR67 and Britt like this.
  3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

lots and lots of good riding around Suches and north GA. Lots that's kinda hidden as well. :)

assuming you hit flatlands in Suches and maybe Charlies Creek/Hightower up near Clayton? maybe not flatlands, it's gotten kinda rough on big bikes recently.

4. roy826ex

I’ve done flatlands many times not on the Zuki but most recently on the 250F Yamaha last October. I’m not new in the area, been going there for 25 years and counting. I know as much of the area as you do and I probably know areas you don’t.

I took the big liter Zuki cause I’m kinda tired of the adv look at me BS scene. I own a pretty blinged out Africa Twin with full in Ohlins front and rear and much much more. My friends on the other hand love the BS look at me in a big pretend dirtbike shit scene. I went for what I do best pavement on a Zuki street bike, fast street riding! I excel at this. Good friend who works for KTM and has a fleet of ktms in his garage joined me with his 1290r, he calls my Zuki “bad boy” yep it is and it leaves nothing on the table against the ktm in fact he’s pretty humble after a ride with me on my Zuki liter bike. He brews his own beers so it’s all cool afterward. I drink all his beer which is very good and we all have a good time at his house up there which is painted ktm orange inside the garage lol

I actually have known the current owner of TWO the past 20+ years. I used to camp with him when he was a customer back then and the scooter scum crew at TWO back in the 90s.

Adam.B likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Forgot about this thread.
    Took my Tiger for a little ride

75071E75-22D9-4BA6-9883-2A1FB7C14BED.jpeg

pscook, roy826ex and Banditracer like this.
  6. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

I was introduced to Dan by gt#179. He can ride the wheels off his super adventure!

roy826ex likes this.
  7. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with Trans-America Trails? The comments about the KAT got me to looking and TAT seem to have maps for just about everywhere. I’ll be riding a KLR650. It’s a big fat pig but it’s a hoot too. Thanks

8. roy826ex

Yes he can and he gets around pretty good on the 1290r. Been riding with him a few years now up there. It’s like our own mini TT when that group gets together for a ride. One in the group I’ve know for 20 years and rode many a fast mile with him. He raced with Wera way back even before I started. In his 70s now and fast as all get out still.

Adam.B likes this.
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I did the TAT in 2011 on a KTM990R with 3 friends. 9 days, 2700 miles from Clayton, NM to Port Orford, OR. Changed tires and slabbed it back to OKC in 3 days. Have done various sections east of Clayton, NM in separate rides. Happy to discuss whatever you'd like. PM me and we can discuss offline.

Cheers,

Dave

10. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

I test rode a leftover 2017 Africa twin, great bike other than leaking either oil or coolant all over the right side of the bike and my boot.
    Is this leak a bad omen if I decide to buy the bike once the dealer fixes it?

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Meh. Things happen. It’s an awesome bike.

12. roy826ex

Quite normal on them. The service manual even covers it in the water pump section. I contacted Honda directly about mine being my selling dealer was 4 wheeler stupid and I wouldn’t let them air up the tires.

Honda did t really have a say so about if either way. So I ordered up all the necessary parts for a water pump replacement, mines the DCT. Even more reasons not to let the 4 wheeler kid at the shops here touch it. My bike is still under warranty. 7k miles later mine still drips a little at times on startups when it’s been sitting a while but rarely out on a ride. I quit worrying about it and if so will replace the water pump maybe one day. The pump is not serviceable only replaceable. Yep 100% Honda thought out.

13. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Leaving tomorrow to make the Seattle to Arctic Circle run. about 6000 miles in 9 or 10 days. Should be fun.

cBJr, cpettit, motion and 1 other person like this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Give us a report of your journey. I'm plotting on heading north next summer myself.

15. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

It will depend a lot on where Alaska is on fire. Ideally, we want to go here:
    [​IMG]

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Do it!!!!
    3CC3750C-BE40-4A49-AB85-538EF7B12096.png

cpettit likes this.
  17. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Long term, how do you like the DCT? Have you done anything to change the airflow off the windscreen?

I rented one this weekend. I liked it over all, but hated the DCT and the airflow rolling off the windscreen makes my helmet vibrate horribly. Reminded me of my KTM 990.

18. roy826ex

DCT takes a little time to get used to it. You basically have to drop all your long term motorcycle basic habits and just let the bike do it’s thing. Once you do that you start picking up new ways to ride it within the logic of the shift programming and by utilizing the paddle shifters +\- plus the appropriate drive mode that suits you.

I like mine and enjoy riding it. It’s very smooth and very easy to ride fast or slow once you pick up on what makes it tick. I’m 5’9” so stock wind screen works too good for me. No helmet turbulence for me and this time of year a full face helmet is down right hot behind the screen. Taller guys do tend to get a little turbulence around the helmet with the stock screen.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I did it 2 summers ago on my little thumper. All the way to Deadhorse. IMG_3308.jpg

baconologist likes this.
  20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

What is that cylinder shaped can mounted to frame that looks like a large can of spray paint or a thermos?