1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So when does a trackday org really become a race org??

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jul 20, 2018.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Mark Junge made me look silly at Vintage Days. First time racing my tlr and first time riding at mid Ohio. He was running 1:30’s on his gsxr 1000 and I was running 1:50’s. There was nothing I could do. Some times that’s just the situation you’re handed and you just have to deal with it. I was riding at my comfort limit and was happy with those times for my first time at the track.

joec likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

And?

3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

And back on topic. Have any of these racing TD orgs been in the sights of legal system, or have they skated by because there hasn't been a issue, yet.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

So what track day org only uses lap times to place riders in certain groups?

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wouldn’t feel to bad, Mark can make a lot of racers look silly. Dude is legit.

6. I don't disagree with any of that. A lot of it depends on the rider, the track, etc. There can be much more leeway on a track that is mostly flat. At tracks like Barber, where almost every corner is blind at some point, a great speed differential can lead to some scary situations and potentially some bad accidents.

A good Expert on a well sorted SV will have no problems in the Advanced group at any track day. They aren't much slower than 600's, and sometimes faster with the right rider on them.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

While riding track days for 10 years on a 2003 R1, I have never had an oh crap moment coming up on a 250 or 300 because they were “slow”. Granted the newer 1000s are faster in a straight line, so not a perfect example. I have had a couple when I closed up on a 1000 in Intermediate where I thought I had plenty of space coming into a corner but found them completely parked at the apex. That includes days at Road America (before the 250-300 bike thing took off) and more recently at Summit Main and NCBike where there were several little bikes out there. The peeps running those bikes in Intermediate and advanced are plenty fast enough in the corners that the closing speed only shows up on the straight where you should have plenty of time to see them coming. Hint: don’t draft at a track day. That way you can see down the track even on the straight.

8. That goes back to the part about the track being flat. At some place like Jennings or Talladega, where you can stand in one spot and see the whole track, it is pretty easy. But at a place with blind sections, it can get very sketchy.

I agree completely about not drafting at TD's. You never know where that dude is going to grab a handful. I will only draft if it is another racer (or coach) that I know very well and have raced/ridden with a lot. I might draft the random dude for the first half of the straight while setting up a pass, but I whip out of the draft long before we get anywhere near the braking zone.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I had more than an oh crap moment at Barber at a track day coming up over the hill on back section. I clipped a rider and he crashed. In all reality it was a racing incident but since we were at a track day, my bad. :(

10. joec

joec brace yourself

You safely pass them when you come up on them.

G 97 likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

NYST, for one, when they sponsor the event at their track.
    To comment about any other org that would use time as a measure, I can't. I don't usually do events sponsored by trackday orgs. Not that I have no interest, but I get quite a bit of riding in doing what I do. Any interest in expanding my event participation would start with EvolveGT...or WERA.
    A few of the larger posts here led me to believe timing for grouping was fairly prevalent. I thought I read them with an open mind, but...I musta missed something as your post leads me to believe it's not a thing. :confused:

Putting any confusion aside, and to answer the original question, I would think that any trackday org that throws the checkers giving a place for finishing (as opposed to ending the session) is sanctioning a racing event.

12. DRye

DRye Active Member

Guess this is as good a time as any to ask since I've been curious about this for years.
    Is it normal for a track day org to require my medical insurance company name and my policy number in order to sign up?

13. Ive ridden with several different orgs and have never heard of that before.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Postulate one. Why state the given. :D

15. fastfreddie

DRye, I refrained from answering due to the nature of my response - Dungeon material, but I can say the same as Chaotic.
    Fastrackriders wants to know who your provider is, but they don't ask for a policy number.

16. fastfreddie

That's right. When you come to a fork in the road, take it. :crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  17. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yes, she does a very good job with all of it.

G 97 likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone gets lapped that much. Not that I've ever seen, and that's with the modern bikes running at the same time as some vintage classes that grid up behind us.

I was almost killed by an electric bike at NJ last year. They are supposed to pull off after 6 laps, but they decided to use it as a test and see if they could make 8. I came onto the front straight at full tilt and saw him way ahead. Didn't realize that he was going 5 mph. After I crossed the line flat out, he decided to pull from the left of the track to the right at 5 mph to pull off in front of the students who built the bike. I got on the brakes hard and missed him by about 6 inches at 100 mph. Good times. Never did find out who the rider was.

As to the original question about parade laps, everyone is going as hard as they can, I promise you. Some of those dudes are in their 70's or 80's and riding old ass bikes!

19. DRye

DRye Active Member

Same here guys. Ridden with several orgs and only one does this. Have always felt uncomfortable about it. Also asks my medical history on the form. I just leave it blank. Fastfreddie, giving just provider name sounds like the way to go. As far as this one org goes, what are you gonna do? Either jump through their hoops or don't ride. They are the only game in town. BTW, I keep a medical info card in my leathers as well as a sealed envelope with the info back in the pits with my friends. Appreciate the responses guys.

20. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

What about in races? There is a guy that I see at every CCS I've been to so far who, I shit you not, is in the realm of 40-45 seconds a lap slower than the leaders in some races! The guy gets lapped about every 3 laps usually and looks like a moving hazard for everyone else. But yet he continues on. I guess there's no rules against being really slow lol