1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So when does a trackday org really become a race org??

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Ive racked up some hefty ones over the years, not once has a payment been denied because I was racing.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep hearing rumors about health insurance plans that won't cover it but never known anyone to have one - especially with a timed event exclusion. That is a car/bike policy type of wording.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

You see, this is what I don’t get. Does WERA have a branding problem? Do riders not understand what the organization does? Or has the definition of “racing” become somewhat convoluted over the the years, in part from trackday orgs presenting themselves as offering a “race” to their trackday clientele?

I love doing trackdays and I love racing but at times I question if the trackday orgs are helping or hurting the sport as the line between the two becomes increasingly blurred. I just don’t think one org can do both justice at the same event with the same riders.

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned about the proper safety protocols being in place, such as at least 2 ambulances on site. Also, insurance is way more expensive for the provider if they are doing racing vs just track days. Is the proper level of insurance being bought?

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  5. This provides an easy way for people to go on facebook and brag about their "wins", talk about prepping for their "next race", and use other catch phrases/keywords...without having to actually grid up in a true racing org.

I see it all the time. Guys will talk about how they "battled for the win" or are saving their "new tires for the Sprint race"......when in reality their "new tires" are Q3's and their "Sprint race" is the mock race over lunch at a track day...and their "win" was against 1-2 other guys, none of whom were running a pace capable of cracking the top 15 in a WERA Novice race.

But they leave those things out when making the posts on facebook.

In other words, these types of events give people an easy opportunity to "play the part" on social media.

Gino230, Kyle Brosius and pawpawrc like this.
  6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Have you ever told them you were racing? Sure it may be dishonest but I have no problem saying I fell down some cement stairs at 100mph.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hmm, sounds like a Midwest CCS LWT class race. :D

8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Same if I wrecked my bike. I'd take it home and say I wrecked on the street to get the insurance payout since they won't cover racing.

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I was in the ICU for 9 days and I told them it was racing, but at the hobby level and not my profession, and they covered every bit of it.

10. I didn't have to. I showed up in an ambulance from the racetrack and they had to cut my leathers off.

But when asked, yes I told them what happened and where it happened.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The way this guy told me, was that his health insurance covered trackdays because it's "training" but won't cover racing because trophy, and or prizes.
    He felt he could get around that by doing the "races" at trackdays..

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There are wins and there are facebook wins.

Gino230, Ducti89 and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

At the last company I worked for there was a clause that heath insurance and disability insurance would not be payed out if the injury happened during competition.

TurboBlew and noles19 like this.
  14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

The word "competition" can mean different things. Usually they are referring to competition that is at a professional level. If the competition is at the hobby level I have never heard of an issue. And that is how my insurance (BCBS) explained it to me.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Thats' what I thought as well. The person I talked to, also @ BCBS, said even hobby sports like softball injuries for instance could be denied... I never had to test it so I am not actually sure what they considered competition vs hobby.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're doing it because they have people who want to race and they don't want to lose those customers to racing orgs. So they play games with it. Sadly people think it's real racing and that it's how racing is run rather than come experience how it's done properly.

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had United Health Oxford at the time (have Cigna now). I'd ask my wife for the exact documentation but it's a Friday and I'd prefer to keep her in a good mood :p

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be very interested in how it was worded because as I've said I have never once heard of a racer being denied a claim. And the majority of racers never look at their policies.

19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

with that said... what would have happened if you were riding with an org that mandated lap timers to ride "track days". now it becomes a timed event. this is HUGE GRAY AREA. not sure I would go to events with mandated timers... could become a BIG ISSUE. now it is not training, instruction, it is a "timed event". food for thought. Ski

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Pays more also