1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So when does a trackday org really become a race org??

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

Laptimes are important, but not the deciding factor where people should be placed. If someone is riding out of control and on the verge of crashing, but getting good laptimes, they should not move up in class. They are a danger to themselves and those around them.

Ra.Ge. Raptor and TurboBlew like this.
  2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

fair enough. i totally see both sides. having a time gives you a perspective at least in the slightest to know where you stand if you try something different each time out.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds more like BMW contingency.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We have that, it's called racing.

Knotcher, britx303, Sabre699 and 6 others like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I rode with Keigwins at Thunderhill recently. I rode B group well since all of my friends were there. The morning sessions I might have been off pace to see which way the track turns and feel my bike out. Also the way days are run out there... you crash your bike stays there til lunch or the end of the day. But if I got bumped down to "C" or "B-" I wouldn't cry or complain either. But from a policeing standpoint... they did an excellent job of keeping folks within the confines of each group. Plus I got to do laps with Cory Call on his GS1100 adventure bike that shames guys on purpose built race bikes...lol

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Transponders are a good gauge of measuring progress thru montering times. It’s just another point of feedback a rider can use to help gauge their progress etc. Nothing really unusual about it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No different than majority of track bikes have an AIM or whatever timer on them.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My $250K hospital bill would not have been covered if I was participating in a "timed event" (race), but was because it was a trackday.

Metalhead, noles19 and TurboBlew like this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

But in reality for the most part someone riding at a level of obtaining that lap time (which is also subjective) is more often then not a decent and safe rider. It really is the exception for a rider to turn whatever lap time metric is being used at the Advanced level, while not being a good rider.

One other thing to consider, is everyone better off for keeping a “faster rider” in a “slower” group or moving said rider into a group where times are more consistent to what the rider is doing. It’s not too difficult to take the hairball out of a faster rider. I would rather Place him in the Faster group with better riders than in a slower group.

Gino230, Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

This would seriously change the average mindset of people at trackdays. At least I think it would but either way trying to get a clear flying lap in a crowded track is frustrating as hell. Also how could they really implement this while telling the B and I groups they still can't pass on the inside or whatever.

Str8-Lurkin likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if they do splits...ok. I dont get how timing a beginner helps them?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Odd, I have yet to ever hear of a racer who had health insurance that didn't cover them racing. We do carry excess medical to help out as well which most trackdays don't.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's merely information, it's up to them how they use it.

14. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Yea if someone is riding like that let them race the C novice class, fit right in

15. That is the argument people always make. The conjecture sounds good, and it is a good "catch phrase" that is used alot. But in reality, there is little difference in lap times between someone pushing and not. In other words, if someone is riding in Intermediate and consistently doing 1:45's-1:48's, they aren't to be like "im going ALL OUT this session!!!!" and then suddenly go out there and run 1:35's, with the only downfall of their newfound speed being that they are a little erratic. I have been around TDs for a while now, including being a Coach since 2009 and a member of the Speed Academy Staff the 4 years it was in business, I can assure you it just doesn't work like that.

Someone might run 1:42's, then push really hard and break into the :41's or even :40's...and like I said, when someone is on the bubble, that is when it comes down to a Coach making an on-track evaluation. If someone is riding at their absolute limit, and manages to barely making the "cutoff" for the next higher group 1 lap out of 5, then no...they don't need to bump up.

But at the same time, even if someone is riding smooth and consistent, running great lines, etc...while running 15 seconds off even a mid-pack Advanced pace, then they don't need to be in Advanced.

bacolmm likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Everyone has to start at some point. Again, it’s just another data point to be used by both the org and the rider. I think most riders, regardless of “skill level” can benefit from using this as a measure of progress.

I think the key for beginners is to not get caught up in the time itself. If you are simply just concentrating on getting a faster time, you are really missing the objective. You should concentrate on the individual skills of riding safer and faster then use the time data to verify that what you did actually helped improve your time.
    Concentrate and work on skills. Verify results with times.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

not the same as lap attack, but sure.

18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Every time that I have had to switch insurance plans, I have always asked about exclusions and posed the "what if my kid decides to start racing off road bikes and gets hurt - would he be covered". Generic enough to swap out "my kid" for "me" and "off road" for "roadracing". The answer has always been they would cover it. I follow up with "even Skydiving?" just to drive it home...still covered.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  19. Exactly.

20. Sweatypants

yea... i can only imagine too a B group, or even I group dude just wandering in and out of the race line on "not" a heater of a lap and that causing some dangers. i dunno. maybe just doing hill climbs is the answer for that, like that Bol D'or stuff or Pikes. i know a guy that does a lot of them in a fast as shit car up in NH... but i dunno that they accept bikes or not.