1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyway, about this coronavirus thing...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

One of my favorite shirts I keep tucked away for special occasions.

[​IMG]

K51000, G 97, duggram and 1 other person like this.
  2. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'm preparing for a three week ride through Baja in March, mostly off road but I'm going to have to spend some time with the population. I'm thinking that at the first sign of fever and chest filling I'm heading home ASAP. I check often for reported cases in Baja but hard to believe they're clear so far. I'm definitely taking a box of close fitting surgical masks designed to protect me.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

An interesting breakdown of how your defense mechanisms are working inside of you.

And something most of us don't think about, one of the best things you can do to strengthen your own internal defenses....get a proper night's sleep. Kind of makes you wonder how much of people's ailments are the results of our hectic lives and not getting the proper 7-9 hrs each night.

duggram likes this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Surgical masks don't protect you, they protect others from you.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

^^^Pretty much

Best protection is of course not being in the close proximity to sick people, but being that there's the potential for hundreds of thousands of "invisibly" sick people around you with this particular virus that can get tricky if you aren't a shut in.

After that it's less of masks and more so keeping your hands clean and making your immune system strong that'll be the biggest help. Besides the baseline stuff of making sure you're properly rested, hydrated and eating a nutritious diet, I've added the following supps to my daily routine to augment the immune system: Vit C/D, zinc, garlic, ginger, green tea, ginseng, quercetin, elderberry, beta glucan.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Welp, case reported in the USA. We are all gonna die.

7. duggram

I worked in the OR for 12 years I understand that. But there are those that can. Those blue paper masks don't protect you, they're not meant to. It was a long time ago but I remember being on cases where we got the special masks. The boss ladies always put me in those rooms.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'ma try and get a dose of Tamiflu today when I see my doc for my annual "lose weight and eat better" beratement.

duggram likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup::crackup:

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Imagine if it gets loose in LA or SF where they have a huge homeless/crapping in the street problem. A great environment for it to get started when you also add in the people shooting up.

Of course if China says 60000/1300 you can safely double that number and know you are low. Everything I see says they are not testing people so they don't count. But if you are welding people in to quarantine them that is Black Death kind of plague.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don’t forget to also be wearing goggles too then, you don’t have to breathe the particles in for them to land in your eyes ;-)

12. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

One NEW case, there were already reporting 14 (now 15) confirmed USA cases, with 3 recoveries and zero deaths.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

That’s over a 7% increase. At that rate, we all are going to die.

14. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Rewatch first season of The Walking Dead...for training purposes.
    P.s. get extra can openers

15. duggram

Of course that is possible, but I wonder how remote. I think you should be more concerned with your hands. Wear nitrile gloves whenever you're off the bike. Take them off like you're working with a sterile field.

16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Why, you already have co-morbidities? Not a great move, I hope your provider won't give it to you for 'just in case'. It's up to them though.

Thank God, I haven't had to prescribe Tamiflu in years, not since the H1N1 about 10 years ago. I see new + influenza cases every shift I work. Not really indicated though. Treat the symptoms.
    And yes, for those select cases of co morbidities, very young, very old, yes, that little bit of improvement (at best) could save their lives. That's not who I currently treat these days.

My wife has been looking online to try and send boxes of masks to her relatives in Red China.
    While I understand they can and do help decrease the spread, it's not like:
    Wear mask- live!
    no mask- Die!

You did see that the overall death rate is 2%? That includes really old, already sick people, etc.

Yep Like Garth says, we all gonna die!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Prescribe? You have a medical degree????

Spang308 likes this.
  18. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I also see + flu, in people that HAVE had their flu shot this season. According to the UPTODATE, it still helps lower the severity and duration some.
    Last I knew (few years), there is 2 x A strains, and 1B strain in each flu shot. Based on the strains that are most prevalent recently by the CDC.

Go to your bunkers! Survivalists!

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Umm, YES. going on 25 years practicing.

And no, I didn't stay at a holiday in Express last night.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Let's clarify, here: I could have sworn that you previously said something about being a nurse (I forget which specialty). You MD?