1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow peeps - recommend ski pants

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Dec 5, 2020.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I’ve never been snow skiing but that’ll change when I take a trip to the Poconos this winter.

So, any recommendations on ski pants and gear in general would be greatly appreciated.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I found that a cheap pair from Marshall's was good enough for Shawnee and Camelback. The rest, I already had because I used that shit in the winter at sea level. :D

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

ScotchGuard on cammies. :D

Never been snow skiing? Spend a bit of morning time with instruction. If nothing else, you might learn how to stop, maybe even turn w/o the crash, point in new direction, crash, rinse/repeat. :D

So many hilarious stories about first-timers, but consequences can be dire. A helmet isn't out of the question.

BigBird likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My friends from college stuck me on the bunny slope for an hour or so. Then one came back and said "you ride motorcycles, you're ready, let's go." I was wearing jeans. Good times. :D

cav115 likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

Jeans...yup...sprayed with ScotchGuard?

6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Spent countless adolescent and teen years water skiing on the local lakes and Gulf of Mexico, but no powdery stuff. I plan on finding the most beginner area and staying there. Lol

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nope. My friend didn't need it and didn't stop to think that I would.

8. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Where do you live? Do a Google search for indoor ski lessons. My wife and I did this before our first time ever skiing and it was well worth the money and made the trip enjoyable. Our friends who took a lesson once we got there spent way more money and didn't learn half of what we did.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Never heard of indoor lessons, but I would definitely get lessons the first time. Much more enjoyable knowing a little bit of what you are doing.

I bought bibs for ski pants.

10. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Wherever we go, I’ll take advantage of whatever is offered to first timers

But for now, I need advice on pants o_O

11. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I went to the Columbia outlet and picked up a pair for cheap.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

BigBird likes this.
  14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

15. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

These actually could pass for ski pants (as with most ADV gear).

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-3-pants

Three layers: outer shell, wind/"waterproof" and thermal inserts. Wide opening on the bottom to wrap around boots. . .Easy(ish) to sell on any ADV site, or keep them for street/when you get old enough to justify an ADV bike. . .They run small/European cut - order at least one size up if you go that route (which should be good for two base layers underneath all the inserts). I'd take mine skiing in a heartbeat. :beer:

16. fastfreddie

Funny story. I had some leather jeans back in the day and went skiing while wearing them. The thinking was, that because they shed water, beer, whatever beverage might get spilled on them and a quick wipe of the hand would remove that shit, they'd be good for skiing.
    Then I fell...and I took off like a mo-fo. I slid down that fall line for a long time before I stopped laughing and started to dig in with my hands and boots. Who needs skis when you're wearing leather? :crackup:

17. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Ski pants have a waterproof rating and you should get something at least 5,000mm but preferably 10,000mm or higher. If you are out on a classic East Coast day, it could be a little wet. If you’re snowboarding, you’ll be on your ass all day and being waterproof is even more important. Being cold and wet makes the day suck so decent gear is important. REI outlet might be a good place to check online.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gonna be a lot of man made snow that gets icy real quick. Get insulated and water proof ones. Where you going to ski up there? That's my old stomping ground.

Shawnee was good and my back up place for a quick trip for a few runs.

Camelback? Full up with Joisey mooks and Newyawkers. More fist fights then skiing. :crackup:

Cold Lampin' with Flava! :crackup:

HPPT likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I went skiing once, got a snow board the second time and had way more fun. Multi tasking when trying not to die is not my strong suit. :)

What temps are you planning on being in? No sense in getting the warmest gear known to man when it's only 30's.