1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking Meat

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragginass, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I picked up a pellet grill/smoker a few months ago and this has quickly become an expensive hobby/habit. I've done 2 briskets, lamb, steaks, beef short ribs and of course pork butt. My favorite so far has been tri-tip, which I had never heard of until recently. I just joined Costco to have more choices and holy shit........ $200 ribeye roasts galore.

I'm about to try a pork belly for the first time to make my own bacon.

So....what are YOU smoking?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Metalhead smokes the meat!

notbostrom likes this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You done fucked up, son...

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Several threads on the subject. Just scored 2 more butts last night (4 in the freezer now) for 99 cents/lb. Hard to beat that bang for buck, especially being nearly un-fuckupable.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

My favorite thing to smoke is a Pork Tenderloin Strip......actually a couple at a time. We use McCormick brand mesquite marinade and let them soak in that for at least 4 hours before the smoking starts. Keep the smoker between 225 - 250 and use a wireless probe set to monitor the smoker temperature and the meat temperature. I usually pull it out when it hits 140 and immediately put it on a platter and cover with tin foil. I will gain another 5 degrees or so and the target is 145. It is juicy, unbelievably tasty, and I usually sliced it diagonally about 1/2" thick. Now I'm hungry just talking about it.

Chaplain45 and ronin1052 like this.
  6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I cured and smoked a Black Bear ham a couple of weeks ago. Finished with a Maple Syrup / Brown Sugar glaze with homemade syrup from one of my sprinkler fitters. The office ate good that day.

Oh, and smoked chicken wings are an awesome base for buffalo wings.

7. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I am a big fan of both Pork loin and Pork Tenderloin Both are great smoked to +/- 145 degrees. and a minimalist rub. Flavor and texture wise I prefer the tenderloin, but Its hard to beat a leftover pork loin sandwich.

ronin1052 likes this.
  8. Dragginass

I just can't get on board with the pork loin for some reason. I probably ate too many bad ones growing up.

Anyone else use a pellet smoker? I'm a little disappointed in the amount of smoke I get, so I've been using smoke tubes. I'm not ready to go to a stick burner though, the dials on the pellet make the process too easy.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Nope use a Pit Barrel smoker, uses charcoal briquettes

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Smoked turkey.....mmm !

StaccatoFan and ronin1052 like this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Brine a turkey and throw that sucker in there. Some chicken wings of course ain't bad either.

Ever tried smoking cheeses? Another worthwhile venture to be sure

[​IMG]

ronin1052 likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'll be smoking all night.

13. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

Smoked turkey! Briskets, any kind of ribs and pork shoulders are always winners.
    upload_2020-1-17_16-11-50.jpeg
    A smoked stuffed pork tenderloin
    upload_2020-1-17_16-13-46.jpeg

ronin1052 and Sabre699 like this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Dragginass likes this.
  16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Hamburgers are awesome smoked. 1 hour. 250F

Potatoes are awesome as well. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. I think they take at least 2 hours.

ronin1052 likes this.
  17. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Mrs. Ronin & Son gave me a GMG 'Daniel Boone' pellet-pooper for Fathers Day year before last...Best FD gift EVAR!!!
    I love this thing.

Salmon & Trout, Ribs, Steaks, Brisket, Pork Butts (Whole and Pulled for sammies) Turkey (Whole, Spatchcocked, Bacon-Wrapped Breasts), Chicken, Almonds...

And Bacon. Holy Sh!t, Bacon
    Fair Warning - Brining & smoking your own bacon will ruin you for store-bought FOREVER. And your family, and your friends...

My Bro-In-Law recently got one for his birthday. He did a Prime Rib for Christmas...MONEY!
    Haven't tried cheese yet, planning on it soon.

Yes, I've found smoke output to be light-ish below 200*F or so.
    I use a smoke'n tube, problem solved.

Useful resources:
    ** Amazing Ribs site - www.amazingribs.com

** "Meathead" book, by Meathead Goldwyn (founder of Amazing Ribs, BTW) --- BUY THIS BOOK!!

** Smoking Meat Forums - www.smokingmeatforums.com

Feel free to PM with any specific Qs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    RichB and Dragginass like this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I smoke cheese all the time. Best done at 70F. Warmer smoke pulls oil out. Warmer still melts stuff.
    I don't know man. He makes pastrami with industrial corned-beef. Those things suck. I've yet to see a BBQ website that doesn't have lot of crap in it.

SPL170db and ronin1052 like this.
  19. Dragginass

20. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yes to pretty much all of the above. Oddly enough one of my favorite things I’ve smoked is chili. I stole some cooling racks from the wife and smoked all of the ingredients before finishing them in a pot inside.

ronin1052 likes this.