1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Phone Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jan 16, 2019.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I had a boo boo and cracked the screen on my smat phone. I’m thinking about taking it to Batteries Plus to have a new screen put in, since it’s ~$70, as opposed to $140 at the Apple store. Has anyone else done this and have any feedback?
    Thanks!

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...difficulty depends on the phone and its construction. I can change the screen on my older Moto Turbo 2 in about 10 minutes.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

even iFixit charges $65 for a replacement screen for an iPhone7 for example. u are going to get a really cheap knockoff from BatteriesPlus if they'll install one for $70.

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I have had several iPhones where I have replaced the glass with non-apple glass and had no issues.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have replaced them on iphone five and six , no issues, if you are Mechanically inclined.. Change the battery while you are at it

Plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to do it. Get a glass and display for 20 bucks and a battery for 10
    Tools are mostly included

beac83, RossK6 and K51000 like this.
  6. This. I had a iPhone 6 for almost 2 years with a $15 or $20 screen off eBay. Phone is still in use as a stand-alone streaming device for home outdoor stereo.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Did you source the screen kit from eBay?

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Every time I try to fix my screen, i end having to buy a new phone :oops:

KneeDragger_c69, Phl218 and aaronson like this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Excuses, excuses! :Poke:

BigBird likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yup

Cheapest ebay

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Depending on the model, finger print ID can get messed with, and I have heard of OS updates killing phones with non-apple glass. I have done a couple of iPhone 5 screens and I had to salvage the home button if I wanted to keep the finger print function. Not sure what happens with the non-button button screens.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I just replaced an iPhone 7 Plus screen that I purchased from iFixIt. The screen assembly was complete except for the touch sensor which you have to reuse or purchase from Apple and the instructions are spot on. The quality or iFixIt parts is superior to junk on eBay and Amazon. You can tell the wheat from the chaff as soon as you place the repaired screen near an Apple OEM screen.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

:confused:

14. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I agree the iFixit stuff is nice and easy to use. It is also amazing how cheap the parts get after the phone is a year or two old. Their tool kits are great as well.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Sorry, I forgot some folks are slower than others. :Poke:

It means the good from the bad. :rolleyes:

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY :D

17. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

I have a turbo 2 also and it needs a new screen. Vertical green lines in one area, half inch diameter black half circle on one edge, and the top band flickers green a lot. I really like the phone. Any place you would recommend that could replace the screen and not keep it long?

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I JUST replaced my kid's iphone 6S's screen a week ago. The replacement kit (tools and screen) was about $25 on Amazon. Took me about an hour, taking my time. If you're mechanically inclined you should be able to do it.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. I wouldn’t replace the one on my iPhone X myself. It looks like an absolute nightmare to do it. We have had both Apple brand and the other brands. The Apple one has seemed to last longer so we’ve stuck with that on our previous gen phones.

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I took an old 5s to the mall kiosk to get the one camera replaced, $45 out the door. After watching the guy do it, my fat, stubby fingers would not do well. A man has got to know his limitations. :D