1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smart phone GPS lap timers. what are you using?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nickxx4360, Mar 25, 2017.

1. nickxx4360

nickxx4360 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, just curious as to what GPS lap timers you are using for the iPhone.

I was looking at TrackDay Pro and RacTrace. Track day pro has not had an update since 2014 though.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Harry's LapTimer

Chaplain45 likes this.
  3. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

+1 for Harry's

4. nickxx4360

ok cool. are you guys running external GPS device on your phones or is the phone gps good enough

5. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

If the phone sees the sky your all good. Can not put your phone in your pocket and expect it to work. That's the bad part. Keep in mind if you crash your phone will probably be toast which is probably the very thing you'll need post crash.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Been years since I used a phone based lap timer.....too worried about destroying it in a crash lol.

But last I did I used an old leftover Win mobile phone running RaceChrono connected via bluetooth to a Holux GPS receiver. It served its purpose until I got a proper GPS lap timer. Honestly you can get a good leftover GPS lap timer like a Starlane Stealth for cheap which is compact so it takes up less dash space and it wires to the bike's battery so you don't have to worry about draining your phones battery and constantly having to charge it between sessions.....in addition to crashing, destroying your phone and being left incommunicado.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  7. nickxx4360

Thanks! I actually have a spare phone to throw around. testing the waters with iPhone/external gps before I pull the trigger on a dedicated one.

8. Tony44

Tony44 New Member

I've been using an external Qstarz bt818xt gps receiver, Samsung galaxy s4/s5, with motorlap software. The Bt818 provides 10hz data as opposed to 1hz. And the software will build video overlays too. Great cost affective solution.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk