1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slick on 4.5 rim

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dave3593, Oct 27, 2017.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The Bridgestone's win a tremendous amount of races here in the SE. I've seen two problems in other areas that cause them to not work. First, that YCX compound rear. We don't use it here, unless the country is out of YCY. I've got people winning in 40f racedays with the YCY. The YCX get that same type of wear on any track with grip.

Second, and the biggest problem is the bad information out there. I hear the craziest air pressures from different places, especially from up north. I'm not sure if they don't know how tires work, or if there's a gauge they are using up there that's off by several psi and they don't know it.

Just to put things in perspective, Parrish is still on a 4.5" wheel,and he ran a 1:34.xx at Barber last week on his SV. You can say what you want, but the truth is, they work. He ran a 1:39.5 with the same tires on an R3.

2. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I'm one of the guys up north (though maybe not north that you are referring to). What are the pressures you recommend?

3. stickboy274

warm for 45+ min 34f, 25r.

4. Champer

Thanks, that is different! (though I do run the R10 front at 34hot).

Front is close (I shoot for 32hot), but the rear I've always set at 26cold and shoot for 30hot.

Will give the lower rear a try - though I've always had REALLY good life out of them, and what I thought was very good grip too.

stickboy274 likes this.
  5. stickboy274

We used to shoot for 30f/30r off the track. I worked with one of our racers and did a bunch of testing on an SV and new R1. He's fast enough to win expert races on both bikes in WERA and CCS. We ended up really changing pressures. We saw a lot of things change as we messed with pressures and these are our new starting point. We try to share the information. We want all our racers doing well.

6. Champer

Thanks, just need to remember this all next year!

Will spread around as well, most of the LW field here uses the stones

7. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I do 32f 26r off the warmers but I run the 125 front - these work great for me. Stick boy is right on.

And yes everyone used to say 30 - 30 but it never worked for me. I now think it was just racers I was going against messing with me because it didn't work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stickboy274 likes this.
  8. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

But you have never run anything else.

You need to try the other manufactures to form an objective/subjective opinion of what works good for you.

And no one would mess with you murph, well besides hanging tampons on your bar ends lol

MurfSVR likes this.
  9. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

*dipped in ketchup, lol good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk