1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slick on 4.5 rim

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dave3593, Oct 27, 2017.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm putting sv650 rims and brakes on my V5 vintage bike. The rules allow slicks. The rear rim is 17 x 4.5. The slicks I have looked at need wider rims. What tires, preferably slicks do you recommend?

2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Pirelli is the only one with a 160 tire, but have never ridden it. People seem to like it a lot, and a lot of records are set on it. Dunlop and Bridgestone have 165s, which they suggest a 5.5" rim for. Ive used the Bridgestones on the 4.5" rim and they've gotten absolutely destroyed. Haven't tried the Dunlop 165 on the 4.5" rim, only on a 5.5" rim, but I liked the rear a lot. I dont think Michelin carries anything for a smaller bike?

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Talk to stick boy racing with Bridgestone, the sv's in the south east use the 165 slick Bridgestone.
    They won lots of races and I have great wear out of mine, I ran a weekend of sprints at road Atlanta then ran the 4 hour endurance at pitt race, and Brandon paasch set the second quickest time of the lightweight class, in the last stint of the race.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I run bridgestone 165 slicks on 4.5" F2 rims,as do many an FZR racer..........ZERO issues.

noles19 likes this.
  6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

My EX 500 has an F2 rear wheel that works fine with the Bridgestone 165 slick which I used for a number of years. It has Pirelli slicks on it now and they work fine as well. I think there is about a 1/4 inch of tire that doesn't get used.

7. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Thanks for the excellent help!

8. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Been using the Bridgestone 165 slick on the stock SV 4.5" wheel for years, it is a fantastic tire that lasts forever too.
    Fresh shock? I find when my shock needs refresh it starts chewing up the tires, but on a fresh shock I can get usually 2 full race weekends out of a single rear. You don't use about the last 8mm of tire edge, but that doesn't seem to bother it.

9. rcarson15

Fresh shock.. recommended pressures from the Bridgestone vendor based on track, temp, etc. [​IMG][​IMG]

Two different tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Yea that is funky wear - never had that before! It's a popular tire up here (for LW) and usually I see them all nice and smooth down the edges.

11. rcarson15

Loved the front tires.. and I'd really like to be able to use them for contingency, but I've never gotten a good wear out of them so I can't afford to keep shredding them.

12. noles19

Pitt race?

13. rcarson15

Yep

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Problem Identified!

All good slick choice mentioned, but don't rule out DOT's.. they work every bit as well.

noles19 likes this.
  15. noles19

That's your problem, it must be the new pavement because we had a bunch of tired look like that at the n2 endurance

16. rcarson15

I didnt have any problems with the Dunlop rear. Havent run the Michelin at PIRC yet, but I don't see the wear on those looking too shabby either

17. noles19

I was speaking of the bridgestones, for whatever reason mine and a bunch of others wore that way, never had a problem at any other track.

18. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

Could be a adding throttle but not taking away lean angle thing.

Also, what does the front tire look like? If it's mint consider adding PL to the rear and or reduce PL from the front.

I was at Pitt Race this year, on Bridgestone slicks. My tires looked great running 1:58s which yes Dave I know is slow.

I think this is a technique thing mostly, get that bitch off the side of the tire if you're going to give it beans.

[Youtube][/YouTube ]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. rcarson15

I mean the front tire is fine.. nothing unusual. The Dunflop worked great though, granted it was on a wider rim (5.5"), but still didn't have any wear issues. Yeah I run 57-58 pace as well, and I most certainly give it the beans during/out of the corner. Then again, I know technique is a part of it as I carry a lot of lean, but with better BP I could certainly improve upon that.

Nothing is ever fast enough for Dave... though with another 15-20+ hp, I could certainly close that gap :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  20. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Better start doing some fork put downs too, fatty :)

Best place to put a Bridgestone tire...is in the dumpster.

regularguy likes this.