1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping advice with Broken Collar bone and ribs...

Discussion in 'General' started by TLR67, Oct 31, 2018.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

As someone who has busted up ribs very badly a few times, there is no choice but pain meds, and I hate pain meds.

The one time I strongly tried to avoid them at all costs I had sleep deprivation to the point I wasn't thinking clearly anymore. You need to be able to let your body rest and start to heal. It sucks man, best of luck.

Gino230 and galloway840 like this.
  2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Assuming that you were not plated, as you are already home. That's a very good thing.

I slept in a frickin recliner for about 4 months. Could only doze off when on drugs. Became dependent on them. It ended up damaging my hips, being in that chair for so long and it took a while to get over that. There is no easy answer for getting some sleep. No way that I could even get close to sleep in any other position than sitting. Really, you are going to have to just be so tired that you can't stay awake.

I hope that you have an excellent care giver. Very important. GWS.

3. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Get some THC edibles gummie bears or something! If they are good and you don’t have a high tolerance they will make you sleep! THERE IS NO GOOD IN PAIN MEDICINE

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Have you taped the ribs? That will help a little, recliner for a week or so should help too. I crashed in a cyclocross race and broke a rib or two on Sat. I'd forgotten how much a sneeze can hurt, hopefully it won't take as long as the last time when I broke 4 of them.

5. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Lay z boy. And if you take the pain pills, take laxatives. No sense adding more misery...

HellrazoRR, jkraft, cav115 and 3 others like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

at least you're not trying to hide it from your wife and casually loading and unloading the dishwasher in front of her...

Kyle Brosius and 418 like this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

life's hard enough :crackup:

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Soooo true.

lol.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This goes completely against conventional thinking, but when I did my ribs/shoulder-palooza, I ended up saying "screw it" one night and laid on my stomach. It hurt a bit at first, but then felt great and I was able to sleep. Not sure if it was the constant compression effect or what, but it worked wonders.

10. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Recliner or get one of those triangle pillows for support.
    Tylenol PM, Benadryl but you probably need something strong honestly.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

cant do that with a collar bone..... but thanks,,, good news is in all this is its mainly my left side and I can still wipe my ass

Steady T, Kyle Brosius and CMRA 270 like this.
  12. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

havnt had both broken at the same time but was able to sleep on my side OK but it was just about the 4 day mark before I could.

TLR67 likes this.
  13. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Use the pillows and that comfy chair no one but you in your house ever sits in. Also I highly recommend avoiding sneezing, coughing or laughing too hard.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

When they put the plate and screws in my collarbone, I just used the drugs at night to sleep.
    I gritted it out during the day, but nighttime needed the drugs to sleep.

Sleep = recovery

15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I broke 5 ribs, and shattered my collar bone, moving was the problem, once I lied down I didnt move to do more than breath.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

pillow under the arm/shoulder to hold it up helps. but drugs. Drugs may be needed .. sleep is important. you will want some laxatives as narcs will stop you up. ween off slow when done.

17. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I'm NOT an MD. In my unfortunate experience; Recliner; Advil (like 3 at a time on a REGULAR schedule) Screw drivers (I'm not kidding) but don't get falling down drunk.

And no kidding, as others have said, harden the fuck up. You hurt as much as you let you hurt. If you think it hurts, if fucking hurts. Don't let it.

18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Recliner if you have one. I slept on mine when I busted my collarbone and ribs after my crash. Spent about 3 weeks there, about 2 weeks before and a week after surgery. You'll not get a GOOD night's sleep, but the recliner keeps you propped up and minimizes your tossing and turning. At least, it did for me.

And yeah, ice therapy. 15 minute intervals. Don't just slop a bag of ice on your shoulder for 2 hours. Heating pad on your ribs for 20 minutes before you want to sleep to help relax the muscles around and lessen the muscle spasms.

TLR67 likes this.
  19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is what I did as well. I had a broken collarbone, scapula and top 4 ribs along with a bunch of bruising so I was hurting pretty bad. I do not do well on opioids (i get confrontational, angry and quite assholish) so I would take an advil / tylenol mix thru the day and then just oxy myself to sleep at night. But I was in the recliner with ice and heat for quite a while too.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So...normal?

(it was a softball, man.)

jrsamples, HPPT and crashman like this.