1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skid steer vs. Utility tractor

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Oct 16, 2020.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

For you guys who manage bigger lots, what are the pros and cons of utility tractors vs a skid steer? Primary use will be land maintenance and snow removal. Either way it will get a snowblower attachment. No plans to add a mower deck or run anything off the PTO that I can think of.

I used to have a Cat skid steer with tracks and was really happy with it. Quick internet search shows that they're pretty comparably priced with a John Deere or Kubota tractor with similar load capacities. What am I missing?

2. Drtyimpreza

Drtyimpreza Member

If not planning to mow or use PTO then skid steer ftw.

3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I would go skid steer as well if you have no intention of using the PTO. I am surprised you are finding the prices comparable though. Tracked skid steers are priced at a premium from what I have seen, but I guess I am not sure which model tractor you are comparing against.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yup, skidsteer. Just make sure you have somewhere that the blower can thaw out, because they can easily freeze up once you stop.

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Skidsteer if you don't need the PTO. Also, the lift capacity they advertise for tractors is always higher that actual capacity.

You should also consider a Mini wheel loader. You can get a nice 13000lb cab machine for $65K. Cat is doing 0% for 60 now.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, make sure it has universal skidsteer quick connect coupler, or you be stuck paying double for implements.

7. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I agree with skid steer. You can get one with 80+ hp that will do some serious work. They all have the exhaust reburn thing now and that hurts reliability and power. Our 10 yr old Bobcat is stronger than our brand new one even though the new has a higher hp rating.
    Just FYI, I have a friend who has a large landscape company and a fleet of Kubotas and he is getting rid of all of them. Major engine problems! He is switching to Takeuchi

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Takeuchi's use kubota engines.

9. Norton 357

But Kubota won't service his machines. He has had them in the shop for months waiting for warranty repairs.
    Our Bobcats have Kubota engines too but I can get service from BC, it ain't cheap, but they will try to keep us running.
    I love Kubota tractors but wouldn't have their skid steer

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That sucks. I'd be getting a loaner or finding a new dealer.

11. Norton 357

He's pissed about it. One is brand new and the engine is blown and they won't even come pick it up. It is hard on a business when you buy new equipment so you don't have reliability issues and the new stuff breaks down more than what they replaced.

We had a F 550 6.7 diesel eat the fuel pump and destroy the engine on a truck with 120K. Just paid it off this year. The new diesels aren't what we are used to

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The only reason to use a small tractor vs a skid steer is the PTO/3 pt or mower deck. If you dont need those get a skid steer.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Bobcat 740 does not have reburner or def. But I don't like the one we have.

I have a 750 thats really strong. I have a 770 with the toaster and its about equal to the 750.

Avoid the toasters.

In snowville you will probably want a cab and heat, which is much more expensive.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A guy was running around in a Kubota skiddie at a job site I was at this week. He had nothing good to say about it.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Cab and heat is a must. Seems to drive up the price of a tractor more than a skid steer for some reason.

17. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Think about your tasks and terrain. In a general sense skid steers push and tractors pull. Skid steer is better at lifting, tractor goes faster and has more ground clearance. Tractors seem to have better snow traction. Pto has been covered. Specifically for snow blowers tractors will have many options, skid steer will be front mount hydraulic. If this is your main purpose make sure whatever machine has the flow to run the blower of your choice.

18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I have a Kubota B3030 tractor but really wish i had a skiddy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Skidsteer.
    th.jpeg
    :D

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Also make sure you get aux hydraulic pump or the bigger pump for running a snow blower.

Also didnt know it was snowing in OB that bad....