1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ski helmets: Yes or no

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Ski bums.. Are they worth it yes or no. Going to Tahoe in a couple weeks.

2. Critter

Critter Registered

Michael Shumacker

Pixelator, G Dawg, sbk1198 and 11 others like this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Totally.
    Don't mess with safety. Helmets are cheap, light and comfy and they'll save your noggin.

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Definitely worth it. I can’t think of a single reason not to. Warm, but normally vent well, comfortable, most likely safer. In the last 20 years it has gone from not many people wearing one to almost everyone.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I always worn one snowboarding. I've had enough concussions to know I hate getting my bell rung. Snowboards are particularly unforgiving when you catch a back edge...

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Natasha Richardson.

DrA5 likes this.
  7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'd wear one anyway... but with my current level of ability... absolutely!

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sony Bono

Pixelator and ToofPic like this.
  9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

$10 head?

10. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yes!!!! A small bump without can ruin your trip!!

11. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Much like wearing ear plugs on a race track, once I tried it I could hardly do it without it. Way more comfortable with goggles than a stocking cap, and fairly warm.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The vast majority of skiing/boarding folks wear helmets. Also, as a general rule, if you are travelling faster than a brisk run, you should be wearing a helmet. :)

Just like with MC helmets, helmets each fit a bit differently. Try some on and get what fits your noggin. Almost all helmets have some adjustment, usually via a knob at the back of the helmet. Take your goggles with you (or try on new goggles) to ensure your goggles fit well to face and helmet. Avoid the gape!

See Rule # 4:

https://www.antlersvail.com/2010/02/how-to-not-look-like-a-gaper/

13. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I just started wearing my mx helmet when snowboarding eventually... the pro teck style brain bucket doesn't fit as well...
    not to mention a brain injury is possible from a big jaw hit... full face all day.. mtn bike too.

14. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Absolutely wouldn’t ski or board without one. I wouldn’t get a rental either, no telling how many times they’ve been dropped. I found a 1 year old model with the MIPS system for like $100. It will pay for itself in about 2 trips and you know the history of it...added bonus, no lice or swamp ass smell.
    Who is he? Did he have an accident like Schumacher did? :D

15. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

no need helmet ski. me ski no helmet hit head me fine

NemesisR6 and mpusch like this.
  16. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

I slipped on the ice walking from the parking lot to the lodge a few years ago if I did not have the helmet on it would have ended my day, back of helmet had a dent. Landed on my head spectators said it was the perfect cartoon slip and fall on your head.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure, why not. Chicks might dig it.

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Absolutely. I had to start wearing one when I did alpine racing. Worn it all the time since. It's nice and warm, and I can open vents if I'm too hot. Can't really do that with a hat. I've definitely crash tested a few helmets, and they always did a great job.

Been looking to replace my helmet for a while, but mine has the hard sides that cover your ear, and almost all of the new ones have soft covers over the ear. I'd prefer to have that protection go all the way down.

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They weren't a thing back when I lived where you could ski. So no. Doesn't mean they are a bad idea, but not needed. Just don't run into a tree.

pfhenry likes this.
  20. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member