1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SJW of the day

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Sep 23, 2016.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How can secession be treason? The states formed the federal government as a tool, and they have the right to secede from it.
    States maintain their sovereignty. California has every right to secede if they so desire.
    A man fighting for the sovereignty of his state can't be a traitor.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

What if the local population doesnt want it taken down? What do you consider local?

Thats the strangest description of the Civil War I think I've read.

I would be, and so should you.

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

auminer likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It does not seem like that is the case though. It appears to me that there is a very vocal minority and politicians that are falling all over themselves to be "politically correct" that are actually circumventing the will of the people.

Big Sherm likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If that were the case the political minority would be voted out and the monuments returned next election - there's a silent majority that keeps electing them because they agree with what they're doing even if they aren't vocal.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You are probably right. I was chalking that up to apathy / short memory of the voting public. It seems like public opinion is pretty much split down the middle and politicians nowdays consider 51% to be a mandate so I guess there is not much to do except bitch about it...

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been that way all along - if the majority of people are being idiots from your POV :D

10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

We are doomed to repeat our errors without it. How are we supposed to have discussions if we see nothing to trigger them? Certainly not from our sketchy textbooks.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Aren't they always?:D

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, when it comes to politicians, knowing history doesn't help. Most of them never study history deeply enough to understand why something didn't work in the first place so they continue to pile money onto an issue time after time with the usual result.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It only seems that way because you believe they're actually trying to fix things.
    Disabuse yourself of that notion and it all makes sense.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Newt Gringich was a history professor.

Actually I think most are, both left and right. However the reality is no one person is capable of fixing things. Even if sometimes you get someone who comes up with an excellent stream of fixes they eventually fail and start mandating their solution which no longer was chosen due to excellence.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Obama was a constitutional law professor... ;)

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Those who can't...teach.

crashman, brex and Banditracer like this.
  17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've tried that. Failure. I suspect that the problem is that when some "fix" doesn't work in Washington the next step is to assign a "committee" to study it. Massive failure there. A damn giraffe was designed by a Washington committee and look what we ended up with. I rest my case. :)

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Actually the giraffe is a good example. It is an excellent solution to a problem of getting high up leaves. However government would have then promoter the designer for that design and from then on everything would have a huge neck....worked once.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What about those tiny giraffes those rich Russian guys have?

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fucking Chernobyl. :mad:

brex likes this.