1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SJW of the day

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Sep 23, 2016.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fuck that. Poisonous spiders and poisonous snakes and cornholing hillbillies (yeah, I seen Deliverance), I'll take shoveling snow and people talking like Yoopers. :moon:

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You forgot hurricanes and sink holes.
    And cock a roaches you can throw a saddle on.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Is Waffle House Belgian? Cuz they make the best waffles, me thinks.

4. In Your Corner

Like Slim Jim makes the best sausage.

Potts N Pans, sharkattack and cpettit like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Try their pancakes.

sharkattack likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Slim Jim makes pancakes?

sharkattack likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No, but a microwave will make their sausages light and fluffy.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it's idiotic but not to the point where I care about it. Shit on public display changes all the time, no big deal. I'd be upset if they were being destroyed, they are part of history (even if a lot of them were put up to celebrate some fucked up stuff like slavery and racism and being pissed off they lost the war) and they should be shown if for no other reason than to point at and go "Look what they used to have on display to celebrate losing".

General Lee statue in Nola should have been replaced with a General Lee from the Dukes years ago.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've got a 700R4 transmission in my car that might enjoy a visit from you. :D

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I see your point. But I've seen hundreds of courthouse confederate soldier statues in whatever cornhole county that were simply put up by the Daughters of the Confederacy of Cornhole County in memory of the fallen men of Cornhole County. It seems like a shame to tear down Cornhole County history because some find it inconvenient to their views.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There is a difference between a memorial for those who lost their lives fighting in the civil war (on either side) and statue honoring one of the generals / leaders of the Confederacy. I am OK with the former, but not the latter.

Edit: Actually the latter is fine too on private property with private funding.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Public property is owned by all the people within a given political subdivision, not just the offended.

13. Dits

Do we also tear down the hundreds of statues of U.S. Grant which seemingly occupy every public park in the Midwest?

14. In Your Corner

15. Dits

My point: There's a certain importance to historic memory.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. Isn't the quote "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it..."

Dits likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

We can remember that lots of good men and boys died in that awful war. Leaving the memorials to those who died without leaving the statues honoring those that led the fight against the United States of America would seem to do that quiet well in my view. I am not all for taking them down everywhere right this instant, but if the local population generally wants it down, take it down. Try not to spend taxpayer dollars doing it. Let some private entity that wants to put it on their private property pay to have it hauled to it's new home.

Basically your view on this will likely come down to your view of the war. Do you feel the Confederate States were fighting for the USA or against the USA. Monuments celebrating traitors to the USA are not high on my list of things to have around.

Let's flip this around a bit. Lets say that California tries to split and become an independent state Left Wing California. There is a brief war / skirmish and they are brought back into the USA. Would you be OK with California erecting monuments to those that led the split and the military officers that joined California instead of the rest of the US military?

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Are there any books you feel like burning too?

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Just think by that logic we should tear down anything honoring Martin Luther King. Oh and all the northern genrals also as they offend some southerners. Also the Washington Monument (@#$#@ slave holder). Oh and anything honoring corn #@$#@ ethanol. And.,....

Folks need to get over themselves and learn to laugh at assholes not emulate them.

blkduc likes this.
  20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Is the alternative to slide them into the ocean?