1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single speed bicycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

whatevs...

[​IMG]

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The nuvinci is nicer IMO. It's heavier and not quite as efficient, but it's a true CVT and will literally last forever. Plus it's about half the cost.

3. My San Francisco fireman friend says they pickup single speed cyclists all shift long. They can't stop (until they do).

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Lol brutal! :crackup:

fallrisk likes this.
  5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I get scared/nervous when people ride them on group rides and we're in a pace line at 25mph.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Honda had a pretty cool take on shifting in the early 2000s. Still a chain in the box, but it was actuated very differently.

Attached Files:

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Forgot about that one. Nuvinci with an enclosed belt drive and fenders = ultimate commuter machine.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I would never ride in a peloton with one of those morons.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This thread sucks. I was perfectly content with my $90 used beach cruiser that I ride to run errands or just cruise. Now I'm dreaming about building something cool...

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

well don't look at cross bikes or the new gravel bikes then.

The one bike I wish I never sold is a Salsa Chili Con Crosso. Great for about any terrain.

[​IMG]

Then there are the "so you want to run around on a bike as much as possible but sometimes you're not feeling lazy" bikes. Meet the Specialized Turbo bikes. Integrate Electric motor when you want it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/turbo/urban

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

And if I still lived in Charleston I'd be all over this thing:

[​IMG]

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I want

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Fragile? I put over 50K on my race bicycle without ever changing the derailleurs.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

We used to do fixies early in the year for training, of course it was all racers riding together.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fixtit4ya :D

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The Cannondale is the fixed gear. The Surly I brought and built myself cause I wanted a steel bicycle.

Attached Files:

17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Bought my wife an old school single Schwinn on Friday. The fix is in.

18. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

As far as true single speed (not that stupid fixie shit) you guy are missing another possibility and that is 'Mountain bike bad-ass'. The guys that ride serious mountain bike trails on single speed bikes can be pretty incredible. One of the guys I've ridden with quite a bit the last several years is a retired aerospace engineer who more often than not, shows up on an aluminum hardtail single speed. We do pretty serious rides with lots of difficult single track and substantial elevation. 35 miles and 5,000' isn't at all uncommon and he's on his single speed and showing us youngins' how it's done. Last summer we did a 42 miler with nearly 9,000' with some very, very strong riders. He did it on a fuggin single speed. Unreal. Today's ride he did on his full suspension bike, 20 miles and 3000' of climb. 100% single track. He positively kicked my ass on all the flowy stuff and when I commented on how impressive it was he commented that the single speed teaches you good lines and momentum. There were also plenty of sections where I'm shifting to use gearing to help with the climb and he just stands up and mashes up hills due to all his single speed experience and the resulting strength he's built up. It's damn impressive to watch...

Moral of the story? Yeah, plenty of dorks ride single speeds because they think they're different and cool but some ride single speed for the simplicity and pure bicycle experience and do it ridiculously well and end up incredible riders as a result.

19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Yup, what Quig said. I rode 20" Bmx into my 20's. Didn't ride a mt bike till I was older. Just used to standing up and cranking. I never shifted my first mt bike when it did have gears anyway so converted it to single speed. Put the cassette back on and my dad has that bike now (27.5 Jamis Dragon). Just picked up a couple of 27.5 bikes that have gears, they're in the gear I like and I haven't shifted them since. Of course, I'm in Florida so that helps!

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers