1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single speed bicycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Even if you manage to pick the right f/r gears the alignment won't be perfect, and you're still dragging a bunch of extra chain around extra crap. A good single speed will have far less slop and drag. A fixie is a totally different animal and should be reserved for Olympic style racing and hipsters.

Ninja likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I sez - so?

All that extra weight and drag is going to be what? The amount of his morning dump? :crackup:

There is no point in a single speed. They do nothing better than a real bike :Poke:

DucatiBomber and Steeltoe like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And no, I'm not riding any of them, screw that exercise stuff :D

4. Tristan

5. Tristan

You don't say? Never woulda guessed.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

They have, actually. Electric gear selection is now an option from Sram and Shimano. I don't think it's down to the same weight as the cable systems, but it exists. "archaic" is often quite reliable.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. Tristan

All those do is electronically actuate the derailleurs, still the same old complex, fragile 10-11 gear sets and chain setups.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's wrong with those? Urban version of a beach cruiser setup, basic bicycle.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

11. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

1x11 ftw

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

That was Matt McCutcheon's bike.

[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have an inexpensive single speed cruiser that I use for running errands and bumming around the beach, and I have a surfboard rack for it so I can pedal to different spots. I like a single speed because the salt air eats everything and I want as few moving parts as possible.

I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing single speed with fixie. Single speed bikes are like what we had as kids. Only one gear, and a coaster brake. They come in many shapes and styles. Fixies are fixed gear, and typically have no brakes at all. If you pedal backwards, the bike will actually go backwards. They really only come in one style, and it's reserved for hipsters and bike messengers.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When I was a kid on summer vacation in Germany, they had Fixie's at the school next door to my mom's childhood home. I got to go over and ride them a few times. Amazing the acrobatic stuff that can be performed by someone that knows what they are doing.

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

This is the only single speed I'm gonna ride. IMG_1800.JPG

DucatiBomber and Steeltoe like this.
  16. Tristan

not exactly, in most cases a modern SS bike will have a freewheel, not coaster brake. Some of the cheaper beach cruiser types may still have a coaster brake.

JBraun likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Rohloff ftw.

15 speed internal hub.

Get all the cool hipster points of a single speed yet be able to shift.

[​IMG]

Shit, this thing wold probably work on some small MCs.

18. Tristan

Looks great...until you see the price

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

As far as single speeds are concerned, I like the Wilier Pontevecchio :

[​IMG]

It's sure to get you some looks at your local ethical bio-coffee shop.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The only time single speed is acceptable is when you're taking it off some sweet jumps.

[​IMG]

t11ravis and DucatiBomber like this.