1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single speed bicycle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I was in the LBS today and saw one and was intrigued. I haven't had a a single speed bike with coaster brakes since my banana seat Schwinn in the 70s.

What's the advantage, if any?

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Hipster points.

badmoon692008, G Dawg, Jed and 4 others like this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Def hipster only bicycle. Fun to ride around the city, however.

4. Dits

It wasn't a retro-hipster looking bike though. Pretty slick looking hybrid. It was a Giant IIRC.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They are fun but you will be labeled a hipster.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you are committed to it, then you are a single speed hipster and I respect that. Frankly, the reason they make derailleurs is so you can shift gears and climb or haul ass. My friend Joe, who is an amazing cyclist that rides 13K miles per year, told me when I asked him if I should buy a single speed, "WTF? Why would you buy that? They make bikes with gears for the same price." I took his advice.

sanee, Boman Forklift, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dits

Ok, so other than mechanical simplicity, there is no advantage?

I'm far from a hipster. I'm rocking a #3 clipper cut, hiking boots and jeans from Tractor Supply right now. :D

Hotfoot likes this.
  8. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

the advantage is that it's simply fun, and fully without pretense. would be dumb to get some SpeciTrekCervelo roadie or something just to do it

9. Dits

I have a nice road bike for fitness, but I did think that the single speed looked like fun for riding the three blocks to my office or for happy hour runs.

speedluvn likes this.
  10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have a single speed and a fixed gear bike.
    The fixed gear (I could pedal it backwards) I used to ride around a reservoir. It has no brakes. You hopefully anticipate you stops.

My single speed ( if I pedal backwards the pedals rotate backwards but the bike would not move backwards) was used to commute to and from work as a weight maintence function. You pick a gear that you can spin easily over many types of terrain. Its a simple form of riding for me. Its a compromise.

It also a way to teach/learn proper spin technique of the pedals.

Bike messengers used them for reliability.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Silly hipstercycle.

12. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have a single speed Specialized MTB...advantage is the workout...spin gears are for pussies...:D

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Oh, and much quieter than geared bike which I enjoy the reduced noise in the woods.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't understand the fixed gear. What's the draw? My little brother had a care bear bike when he was 3 or 4 that had a fixed gear and it sucked.

15. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

if it's three blocks to your office, you should have one already!

also, gonna need pics of the roadie :D:Poke:

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a SS friend thats named Joe and is absolutely committed to the 2 cog cause. He flirts with going full rigid...lol

17. Dits

I walk the three blocks quite often. The roadie is a caad 3, nothing special.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Find an old Schwinn banana seat bike to restore instead. Better bike, more comfort, more fun.

19. Dits

I need to get that mid 80s moped running first. Parts are a bitch though.

20. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I ride a single speed late 60's Raleigh to work most days when I'm not hauling a bike/kid etc. As stated, instant Hipster status. Conveniently, I fuck up the whole thing because I have no clue how to dress like one.

Why single speed? Because it was free. I like simple and I like a bit of torture also. Ride home today was brutal, head wind the whole way. No regrets :D