1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simon Crafar..........

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee57, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The Beeb is mostly nonsense anyway, so what’s the problem? :D

RM Racing likes this.
  2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

TBH Nick Harris was pretty awful his last 2-3 years... I dunno how anyone thought that guys was still awesome.

I like the fact that they'll have more of a "tech" guy in the booth. One of my favorite parts about the MA announcing is Pridmore's insight on whats going on.

I like Simon a lot, but i do think he may have a bit of trouble at first with trying to "sell" whats happening.

Who knows though.. At least let him try.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I think he'll be fine. His ramp as pit lane reporter was great. Hated him in R1, thought he was awesome by Motegi.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Is there a source on this news? There's no trace of this announcement on any of the usual channels.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

so, fake news? good.

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Who's the guy they occasionally have on there that's a real enginerdy type guy, soft spoken that really gets into the techy details. Name escapes me at the moment. I like when he's on there for practices/testing.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  7. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

It's the off-season what do you expect?

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Spalders - Neil Spalding.

Crafar did quite a few of the free practices in the booth for Moto2 and Moto3 this year, and he is fine. Losing him on pit lane is a concern.

MELK-MAN and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

That's it, I'm terrible with names. I like him and his insight and coverage.

I'd rather have him in the booth, and keep Simon on pit lane. I know we all watch for different reasons, but I'd rather hear about all the nerdy technical details while watching the action, than have some dough head scream and shout about passes and riders puting on a master class. No shit, I can see that, I'm watching the same thing you are...... Tell me about the shit I CANT see.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Spalding is the good one the other one is so bad he makes me want to quit liking motorcycles altogether.

11. hdpromos

hdpromos Well-Known Member

Your comment here explains why you are truly a "Trainwreck"!

dieterly likes this.
  12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im actually surprised that this rumor seems to have started here, instead of on some news site or Twitter. I dont have the balls to just make something up and post it, haha.

13. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Guy Martin?

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Ah, that explains it. Someone clearly didn't understand what Guy was saying. Nothing unusual about that. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Guy commenting live. Imagine that... :D

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

That explains it. Guy actually said "I like eating wafers from the box when I watch on race day". The english translator heard "Simon Crafar is taking over in the box from Steve Day"

badmoon692008 and Banditracer like this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah, Harris had quite a couple of oopsies towards the end...

18. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

So now we can hear Simon misremember, mispronounce or say names very very slowly the whole race? - no thank you. This is a terrible idea. Just hire the entire BSB broadcast - they do it right.

Simon was made for the minutia of the pit lane - he’s great at noticing little things on bikes and has no problem walking up to anyone and ask them ballsy questions. That’s where he should be - not in the booth. He’s fantastic in pit lane.

I’ve said this all along - an accomplished racer can not be broadcast. When alien like things happen on the track, they don’t freak out and get excited like BSB announcers or Nick Harris did.

Same with MotoAmerica. I love Jason, but as an announcer, he’s not genuinely mystified when Tony Elias pushes the front wheel 10 feet and then hits the apex because at one point he could probably do close to the same thing (or at least understand it). That comes through in the broadcast. The play by plan needs to be a extroverted nerd fan of the sport. Damn I miss Nick Harris.

To grow our sport it needs to be more exciting to the mass population - simon’s analytics and perspective is great for us racers. Problem is it will go way over the heads of 80% of fans. Most fans only ride a street bike or don’t ride at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So, you’re asking for a Ralph Sheheen and Greg White duo? :crackup:

*Possibly the two worst announcers to EVER cover a race.

RM Racing likes this.
  20. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

Hell no - I wasn’t going to bring up Greg White being mindful of the if you don’t have something nice to say - don’t say anything, thing.

My kids learn new swear words every time Greg White screws up or reinvents common household phrases like “that’s how cookies fall into pieces” or racing terms like calling low-sides high-sides or when someone loses the rear almost “tuckin it”.

Greg tries too hard to sound technical when he should just be more of the super fan type commentator. I mean have you ever seen his website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducnut likes this.