1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Jobs

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

What's everyone doing as side jobs for extra spending money? I've done uber but it gets annoying sometimes and loads miles on the car, but it also gives me a huge write off at the end of the year due to mileage and no fuel expenses which may actually help now that I'm making more money.

I used to do security but that was project based and not every reliable, big companies are really into the whole gig thing. I also do secret shopping, usually for food and restaurants but it doesn't actually pay much, more of a hobby that pays for meals and a few bucks for my time.

Anywho, I need ideas for more income that would work around a normal 9-5. I thought about a legit second job but I don't want to be tied down to a dedicated schedule. I don't NEED money but I also what to do more fun things without taking away from retirement/investments. So what's everyone doing in this gig economy?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Home plans

Pitmom42 likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Stripper?
    Urban Region Pharmaceutical Dealer?
    Male Whore?

track wagon likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Giggle-o

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is that a modern day pimp?

6. Trunxgp1224

Thought about it, no real market for my body type it seems
    Already tried national, turns out ebay and paypal don't like that
    did that for 2 years, too many close calls.

track wagon likes this.
  7. Trunxgp1224

paid man whore

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't know if you've tried Trendsource for secret shopping
    but they're doing a lot of business inspections these days which
    pay better than food. Depending on what they want they pay
    $17-$50 plus some travel pay. On jobs they need done fast they
    sometimes offer $150+.

9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Become an umpire at the local softball / sports complex. typically $20-30/game, paid in cash, split by the teams playing. Games about an hour long. Can bring in 80-120 a night if the complex has a busy schedule.

Oh, it can get entertaining if these are beer leagues...

RossK6 likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Deliver pizzas. Side job, AND side action

track wagon, Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Flip cars and motorcycles.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I married well. She works harder.

ToofPic, beechkingd, onenut and 5 others like this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hey @Anchovie this guy is trying to get people to move in on your pizza MILF's. You better get a Map. And a Parka.

:D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Better pack a lunch Pal...

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My buddy has been trying to get me to do this, he manages the umps at a local youth complex on the side. He doesn't have much of a sales pitch tho, pretty much talks me out of it while trying to talk me in. You're right, 20-30 a game, $40 if you're the only ump at the game, which is rare. By the time you get to the complex, get all your ump shit on, yadda yadda it's not worth it unless you can get 3-5 games, which pretty much means a weekend tournament. So there goes your Saturday. Then there's the parents....

Might be different by you but the beer leagues around me have two options - play at the 2 field complex that the on site bar owns, the ump there is typically the league manager and another bar employee. The Moose lodge league is umped by a Moose member who I think makes something, but doubt it's much. Speaking of, need this damn rain to stop so we can play the season opener tonight.

Might be an option I guess if you really love baseball and arguing with half-drunk softball league lifers ( :oops:) or parents who are sure that little Timmy was safe and your strike zone is shit.

Do you have any mechanical or technical skills? I started an LLC doing welding and fabrication. I don't make a ton, but I don't advertise, all my business is word of mouth. I have somewhat carved out a niche doing stainless and aluminum marine shit, turns out I'm way cheaper than the marina and my turnaround is 10x faster. The tax benefits really help though. That's the main reason I do it and just because I like it. In the future I may take it more seriously and start advertising but for now it's just about right.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    BigBird and AC1108 like this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Are you fast on a motorcycle ? You could find sponsors and race for prize money :crackup:

17. Trunxgp1224

I used to talk to someone through a mutual friend that was umpire for a lot of leagues and NCAA games need to try and remember who.

18. Trunxgp1224

I kind of am one of those sponsors :eek:

19. Dan Dubeau

Got any electric carts places around? With your electric vehicle background you could probably make a killing :)

scottn likes this.
  20. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I’ve donated plasma, it’s a minimum $90/week for 2 hrs time. Eventually you can get into some specials and such. I’ve made over $500/month a few times with 2 hrs total time per week. Plus I guess it helps others so there’s that.

Shenanigans likes this.