1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifter kill times

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Apr 22, 2016.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What kill times are people using with the dynojet on 600's? Something is just a little off on mine but can't decide if it's bogging or surging / jumping.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

.065 on mine

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

check the linkage. Mine is sensitive to the spline location. Suggest thread locker too once you figure out ideal location! :D

4. notbostrom

Anyone else running a different time?

5. Pretty standard at 60ms. I'll double check my notes today because I played with it but I remember going back to 60.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

60 worked well for me.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if you only have one setting, for all the gears, i wouldn't go below 60-65 ms. Ideally, you will have a slightly longer kill time in 1st and 2nd gear. Too low, and it may not be long enough to make the shift every time in those low gears

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Would you even do a clutchless upshift from 1st to 2nd? Even with the fuel and/or ignition kill that would be pretty harsh on the tranny.

Regardless, good info in here, as I am also going to be setting up mine this weekend. I will likely start at 60ms and see how that feels.

9. notbostrom

Thanks guys 75 definitely wasn't working well

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Like Greg said, if you only have 1 setting for each gear 60ms across the board seems pretty standard. If I recall correctly I have 65 > 60 > 55 > 50 > 45 through the gears on mine. Bazzaz suggests decreasing the times as you go up through each gear, and I also have one of those Factory Pro (actually its the one Corson Piper used to make out of the stock ones) race cut shift stars that cuts shift times just a tad and they recommend going -5ms on each gear than what you'd normally use.

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

If it feels like the bike is "hopping" when you shift, does it just need more kill time or is it a sensitivity issue? Mine is a heal tech QS. Gets better in the higher gears , like going from 4-5, 5-6.

12. NemesisR6

There's probably a lot at play there, and sensitivity of the sensor itself is very likely a factor. If the sensitivity of the sensor is high then it may recognize and "kill" earlier in the application of pressure to the shift peg/rod/shaft, and throw off the desired timing of the kill vs. the completion of the shift.

Logically I would think it would be better to have the sensitivity on the higher end rather than lower. The bike isn't going to want to shift at 10K+rpm, no matter how much (reasonable) pressure you put on it......better to ensure it's not prematurely engaging the kill.

Shifts are typically easier in the higher gears since the variance between ratios is lower, and as such less kill time is required to complete the shift.

13. MELK-MAN

been doing it on 2 bikes since... well... for friggin ever. this is why you use MORE KILL TIME for 1st to 2nd shift. yes, a super short kill time is gonna make a 1st to 2nd clutchless WFO shift difficult, and likely gonna bend shift fork over time.

And if you are using a clutch from 1st to 2nd, you will likely be viewing my backside entering turn 1 ;) Well. Most do already, but that's an advantage of pre-entering races. lol.. but seriously. I have had the SAME supersport motor in my supersport bike, since i bought it in 2009. It was raced by josh day in 2008. Same trans. I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of starts since this time, zero issue.

for reference.. i'm using these kill times on my bikes.
    1-70ms, 2-65ms, 3-55ms, 4-55ms, 5-50ms.

ps: i HATE those friggin motion type sensors. They royally suck. Get an actual mechanical quick shifter like a dyno jet model.
    I also think some people get lazy with their foot, and don't make a nice fast, snappy shift. Especially if you gp shift, your upshifts can tend to become lazy. this could keep the module engaged, and give the bike the 'hops' too.

14. Seems to be a far too common problem as a lot of people install a QS and think shifts don't have to be deliberate. You don't have to jump on the thing but a smooth, deliberate motion and works like a charm.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Bazzaz is the only one that you can adjust by gear correct? I don't believe the Dynojets can.

16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I would agree with you, but I have the Bazzazz unit on my R6 and it's butter smooth. I would think that if the rider had bad shifting technique, it'd be noticeable on both bikes. But it's only noticeable on my ZX10.

17. NemesisR6

I believe the latest HealTech Quickshifter "Easy" units allow per-gear kill-times as well.

18. MELK-MAN

i have dyno jet qs on both my bikes. one has YEC kit box, other has FTecu software. I can adjust BOTH per gear. It's not the quickshifter, it's the ecu software.

19. Yes.

Whether it was an aftermarket QS unit or OEM (Panigale, RSV4) I have always clutchless upshifted from 1st to 2nd with no issues.