1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheila Lee-Jackson wants hurricanes with "black sounding" names

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 12v_dub, Jul 24, 2015.

1. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

When you think you heard it all. Who in the world elects such person.

http://hinterlandgazette.com/2008/06/sheila-jackson-lee-says-hurricanes.html

I have no other recourse but to give you the entire article and my position as I read it on World Net Daily about Sheila Jackson-Lee’s latest campaign. I guess Ms. Jackson-Lee is trying to get on the good side of her constituents, but if you ask me, she’s perpetuating negative stereotypes. Read on…..

Do devastating hurricanes need help from affirmative action? A member of Congress apparently thinks so, and is demanding the storms be given names that sound “black.” The congressional newspaper the Hill reported this week that Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, feels that the current names are too “lily white,” and is seeking to have better representation for names reflecting African-Americans and other ethnic groups. Again, this is an insult to any decent, self-respecting, hardworking, law-abiding black citizens.

“All racial groups should be represented,” Lee said, according to the Hill. She hoped federal weather officials “would try to be inclusive of African-American names.” A sampling of popular names that could be used include Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn, according to the paper.
    Jackson Lee’s call is brewing its own storm of response across America.

Enter Rush Limbaugh….

Radio talk-show giant Rush Limbaugh says he was having dinner with his wife when he first learned of the proposal. “I just threw up my hands. I said, ‘Has it come to this now?'” Limbaugh recounted on his show. “There’s discrimination and actually elected officials wandering around worried about the discrimination in the name of hurricanes. And hurricanes are destructive. You know nobody’s very excited when a hurricane’s heading their way, and yet here she is demanding that hurricanes be named after black people.

“You know it used to be that hurricanes were named only after women because they were destructive and unpredictable. And that’s the reason. The feminists grew upset about that, demanded that hurricanes be named after men, and so now, the civil rights leaders are demanding black names for hurricanes. (Let me interject, Sheila Jackson-Lee is no civil rights leader!)

Limbaugh continued his analysis, saying it was not the mainstream populace responsible for what he called the “Balkanization” of race relations in America. “It is these elected black leaders, the civil-rights coalitions – they’re the ones that keep causing all this racial divide, they’re the ones that keep calling attention to all this,” said Limbaugh. “They’re the ones that keep stirring this pot. They’re the ones who don’t want there to be any colorblind society. They’re the ones who keep being agitated and trying to agitate others over all this, and now it’s descended into the meaningless element of the names of hurricanes.”

Historical context….

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, hurricanes were for centuries named after the Catholic saints’ days on which the storms fell. In 1953, the United States abandoned as confusing a two-year-old plan to name storms by a phonetic alphabet (Able, Baker, Charlie) when a new, international phonetic alphabet was introduced. That year, weather services began using female names for storms.

The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men’s and women’s names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Final thoughts……

Sheila Jackson-Lee and all the people who agree with her proposal are, in essence, perpetuating negative stereotypes about so-called black names. It is also idiotic for her to suggest that the emergency management service utilize speech that more in line with how blacks speak. It is insulting that she could stoop to such a level. How is Ebonics going to help blacks in this country? Are we so insecure as blacks that we want to have hurricanes named after us? Ms. Jackson Lee and her cronies are engaging in a dangerous pattern of behavior that reinforces the opinions and positions of people such as Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Pat Buchanan, among others. Didn’t she learn anything from Hillary Clinton, who has worked tirelessly for issues that affect children? If a white person had such a proposal, the entire mainstream media and everyone else, would call them racists and even go as far as to start boycotts. The bottom line is that there are way more important issues for the government to address, such as stemming the escalating gas and food prices we are confounded with, massive job layoffs across all industries and ensuring that what happened in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will never occur again. Just my thoughts, you be the judge…….

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hurricane Jacob has made landfall.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Category 4 hurricane Orangejello heads towards the south west coast of Florida.

Awesome.

4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

So you rename them to sound like black American names...go ahead. Then a few years down the road when people forgot how those names got there, OUTRAGE! will happen and it will be declared a racist plot to perpetuate black stereotypes.

Even the Onion couldn't make this shit up.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's absolutely a racist way to do things.

6. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

like michael or freddie? those hurricanes certainly did plenty of damage.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've got an idea.

They should make a big media to-do about this, say that they are going to be be naming the next hurricane a traditional "black sounding" name. Then when the hurricane gets reported what do we call it.....????

Hurricane Rachel of course :crackup:

[​IMG]

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She's being racist ass hell against asians too.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Big question is, when will the good Representative from Texass be petitioning the courts to change her name to more closely align with her racial identity?

Or is she really white? :wow: :wow:

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

She identifies as Shaniqua.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hurricane Nyquillus Dillwad

12. ped

ped Banned

How about we compromise on airwrekca

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Isn't that train wreck Rachel?

14. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

And this is costing the tax payers how much money? So much time wasted on stupid stuff.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

NEWFLASH!!!!!

Texas coast, Friday August 14, 2015. Hurricane Sheela made shore at 3:15PM and completely destroyed Galveston Texas, ironically just before Rep. Sheela Jackson Lee did it herself. (Someone is trying to teach her to drive.)

Thanks a frigging bunch Sheela. :down:

Have I ever mentioned the fact that Sheela J.L. is just short of the intelligence level needed to walk and chew gum at the same time? No? Well now I have.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What was your clue?

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Does no one ever step up and tell these parents no?
    That name is grounds for killing your parents in their sleep.

18. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

SJL and that asshat from Georgia that thought Guam was going to tip over because of the Marine base makes me very confident we are domed as a society......somehow these turds get elected and stay in the position.

19. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

Looks legit on a job's resume :crackup::crackup:

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

:bow:

You win the internet this week lol.