1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious question on a clavicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Dec 4, 2020.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

And just because it's a boat and I kind of learned this way, what if you're needed in an emergency situation, I realize you're probably within eye sight of land or islands every moment, but if you're not able to help, you're just another problem.

You don't have to say you think it's broken.. Or it's broken.. How about "hey skipper, my shoulder is just not feeling right. I'm going to have it checked out" either way you're working one handed.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If you go to an ortho the plate won't set off detectors. Now if you cheap out and go to a blacksmith that may set off the detectors. I've had MRIs and the metal hasn't been an issue. As long as it's nonferrous it's not an issue.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn Captain...you make my wife's self-medicating idiot uncle look like a medical genius.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Be like Broome and upgrade.

[​IMG]

Yes it's an April 1st image.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Trust me its, broken

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

My plates set off our detectors at work. It sucks.

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

If your in or near downtown Cabo theres a really good medical center there. AMC med. I had to take a friend there last year after a dislocated shoulder.

I'll be in Cabo next week.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Mark.....go to the doctor !!

Banditracer likes this.
  9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm curious, how old it is? Mine's from 2008 and never been an issue.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Maybe this will help you decide:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...avian artery,subclavian arterial injuries [1].

Laceration to the subclavian artery ensues from bony fragments produced by a fractured first rib or clavicle. The fracture is displaced into the vessel by the traction of associated chest wall muscles. Fractured clavicle has been cited as the cause of 50% of traumatic subclavian arterial injuries [1].

Phl218 likes this.
  11. britx303

Hey same vintage,2008. I was told it would never be an issue, but as it turns out it is.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My circa 1991 plates in my ankle sometimes set off detectors. When I go thru airports I make sure Im not wearing a belt (the buckle) or my watch (big ass SS) and 95% of the time Im ok.

But yeah go see a doc and get a sling. Immobilization will help until the plate is in.

Enjoy.

13. britx303

As it was explained to me, newer detectors will pick it up. Especially where I am. Its more of an annoyance more than anything. I walk through. BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Arms out to my sides at 90 degrees and get wanded and patted down every.damn.time. I’m doing the GD b*mb sweeps and have to go through this crap. The powers that be know me and work with me every damn day but it’s protocol.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Just take a few months off, sit on a beach somewhere with it in a sling, and let it heal. Cheapest, most laid back way overall.

15. Captain Morgan

I can, cook on one functioned knee for 3 months in the Bahamas, I can deal with the cooking, its the leadering in Marlin and tuna in 10 days in Cabo that has me worried, no one hand marlin fishing

16. Captain Morgan

I do that every year, my girlfriend lives in Rio, waiting, but want to catch big fish and cook good food for the winter. Captain just left so have a week to make my collar bone function

17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Architect is Kinda like a Bone Doctor :D

18. Captain Morgan

sorry , mexico wifi takes 5 minutes to send, I'm a simpleton so just keep pressing buttons :beer:

19. Captain Morgan

Because the incident happened after 6 pacifico ballinas and a bottle of tequila, the captain was there off the start but not the finish. Its complicated when a crew member goes to the hospital, the captain is ultimatly held responsible, hes my friend/my boss, don't want to put him in that position

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Are you drinking now?? That`s what we want to know...:D