1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious question on a clavicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Just nervous of telling the captain, I will lose my job, just thinking of toughing it out and see the consequences later in life. Even if it 3 months from now??????

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

depends on the fracture... the compound type not so much. See an ortho... not an ER quack

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Wow...they didn't recommend stabilizing it? That's....well... Doctors? Fuck, even taping into place could've helped her there.

I almost can't believe that exactly because of the ends calcifying over and never rejoining.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah,cruddy situation. Youll be screwed long term if you wait,but potentially screwed short term if you tell the capt. Is he that much of a hardass?

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It will start to heal immediately. Whether it heals lined up nicely or overlapping with huge lumps and a screwed up shoulder depends on the break. For my young daughter we let her break heal on it's own. For my multiple fracture I had it plated. If you want to get back to work ASAP get it plated and plan on leaving the screws in. Also consider you may have damaged you AC joint which is a different issue and generally not as debilitating but limits range of movement such as reaching directly overhead.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

had the left collarbone broken 3 times
    1. just a hairline crack - healed itself (highside)
    2. broken right in the middle. (guard rail and some)
    3. broken laterally, outside by the joint

procedures:
    1. went to doc, x-rayed, not even a sling, was ok after a month
    2. x-rayed, doctor said sling is fine, worst that can happen is if i needed a tailored suit, i'd have to tell the tailor to cut the left shoulder a bit forward. told me all about risks with surgeries. i wish i had done it. now the ends lay atop of each other and i have a major bump there. shoulder misplacement goes all over back and spine, tensions etc. it sucks. if it was a US doctor i'd sue him.
    3. that was after #2 had healed, which made the middle part much stronger. was a MTB DH crash from a 10 ft drop . kept riding an hour afterwards (adrenaline). went home and took a shower, then drove to the hospital for x-rays. they taped the shoulder and told me to take it easy for a while. no regerts.

bottom line. go see a doc. and lay off the rum, the alcohol slows down healing dramatically.

7. britx303

I told her hard headed ass to go to my ortho but she wouldnt. Yeah it sucks for her,and I feel bad she didnt get it fixed.

8. Captain Morgan

Yeah, like your theory, a shot of rum for the pain an finish cooking breakfast for the crew

9. Captain Morgan

Yeah, like your theory, a shot of rum for the pain an finish cooking breakfast for the crew. Kind of interesting walking around and you can feel a bone going up and down, LOL

10. Captain Morgan

Yeah, like your theory, a shot of rum for the pain an finish cooking breakfast for the crew. Kind of interesting walking around and you can feel a bone going up and down, LOL

11. britx303

Our youngest broke hers when she was really little,and we just kept it slinged due to her age and she heeled FAST. A stepsister fell when she was 12 and they kept her in a sling as well.She has the little bump from it but its all good. Thats the thing about clavicles.......its never cut and dry or one size cures all. Personally as an adult I'd go to an ortho asap to get the real answer and shoot for a plate........because plates are fun going through metal detectors everyday:D

12. britx303

Could you repeat that?:D

13. Captain Morgan

Yeah, like your theory, a shot of rum for the pain an finish cooking breakfast for the crew. Kind of interesting walking around and you can feel a bone going up and down, LOLI'm 41 so if my shoulders a little fucked up I don't care. If I do surgery on my own stupideness I will lose my job. Can't cook for 10 guests and 5 crew with a sling. But think I can with a gimpy arm for now??????

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I hesitate to offer any advice because I know this to be a waste of time but…

Mine went undiagnosed because bigger issues gave the medical staff tunnel vision. They didn't even get a clue from the excruciating pain I was in every time I was rolled on my left side. It was noticed eight years later by a doctor doing x-rays for unrelated reasons. 18 years on, still hurts.

You decide…

SpeedyE and Captain Morgan like this.
  15. Captain Morgan

Not a hard ass but in yachts if you can perform on a top level, your out, doesn't matter the reason

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm having a hard time reconciling one arm and top level. He could fire you anyway.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. britx303

Adulthood hurts.:D

18. Captain Morgan

Kind of a cut throat, business, I've provisioned on crutches and worked directly from getting leg vein surgery. But also take 4-6 months off a year. Catch 22

19. Captain Morgan

It does, constantly avoiding it, work smarter not harder, In Mexico for the next 5 months and the Brazilian girl came to visit. I don't like Adulthood

20. britx303

Not a yacht guy,as I grew up around the GD things,so I dont know how it works working on them in situations like this. No employee injury type protection I guess?