1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sept 8-9 Road Atlanta question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by aftriathlete, Jul 8, 2018.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Good luck Scott, not that you will need it. I bet that it will be your favorite track.

aftriathlete likes this.
  2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

STT is doing a trackday on Friday...

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

The earliest I can get up there Friday is about 2 PM, so the track day is out for me. I'm in student status in the Air Force right now, so I don't have control over my work schedule unfortunately.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  4. aftriathlete

Hey Mongo, tried to message you on here but I got an error saying I couldn’t send you a DM. Just wanted to see if my number request and my license paperwork was good to go. If it’s not I just need to find some new numbers this week before Saturday. Thanks man.

Scott

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't do DM's here, got too many other things to watch between here and email and facetubes and all that - email is always the best way to get in touch.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I don't know if she did the number assignment today, I'll have to check tomorrow and email me a reminder anyway :D

7. Jon Wilkens

I know all too well how the AF student status works...lol See you this weekend!!

Gcooper9 and aftriathlete like this.
  8. aftriathlete

Email you at [email protected]? Or do you check something different? I see pre-registration ends tonight -- I'm guessing it's not possible to do pre-entry until my license is all squared away, right?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We'll get you covered. Emailed back, just waiting on the boss for the number.

aftriathlete likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

11. aftriathlete

Well my WERA debut at Tally was over before it started. I got out into the wet grass off T2 in Saturday practice and that was all she wrote. Just saw an ortho and apparently it’s not just a bad sprain, I have a small radius fracture, so 4-6 weeks in an airsplint. So I won’t make RA in two and a half weeks, and for that reason no GNF at Barber end of October.

What a boner. But it’s my own fault, I only have myself to be mad at. Maybe see you guys out there in the spring!

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Red GSXR? I was right behind you when you jumped.. glad your ok...

13. BobSaget

BobSaget Active Member

Damn man I hate to hear that! I've been following this post and it motivated me to finally get the ball rolling with racing. I sent my membership form in yesterday and plan on attending Road Atlanta the 8th/9th. This will be my first time at RA so I'm excited. Sorry to hijack lol. Get well soon!

aftriathlete likes this.
  14. aftriathlete

Yeah that was me, you came over after and checked on me right?

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes sir..... That was my Ugly Ass..... Hated to see you leave.... Was that Lane Hammonds old bike by chance?

aftriathlete likes this.
  16. aftriathlete

I just moved out here from out West, so the only folks I know for certain that owned/raced this bike in the past are Chris Peris and a guy named Tom Savoca. But it's been a race bike it's whole life, it never saw the street, so there may be more owners in there.

I don't have a good reason I crashed, I just made a mistake and I should have known better. I was overriding for not knowing the track yet, I had just turned my first laps on the track in the previous practice session. So I got onto the brakes into T2 too late because for some reason I thought it was time to try to start pushing up the pace as this was the last practice session I was gonna ride before racing in the afternoon, and then I couldn't get the bike stopped, and there was no saving it out in that wet grass.

17. aftriathlete

Have a great time man. My initial impressions from the few hours I was around the WERA organization Saturday morning was that it was pretty organized and efficient, and the tech folks were surprisingly cordial compared to my experience in the past with some tech folks at different race orgs.

TLR67 likes this.
  18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

typically when I crash it's actually the opposite of a boner. A lot bit different really. Glad you are ok. Get well and get back out there.

19. Jon Wilkens

You never did come by our pit!! Sorry to see you got in some landscaping so early in the day.

aftriathlete likes this.
  20. aftriathlete

Yeah sorry man, I was already packed up and headed home with my wrist wrapped until like a gordita by about 11, so I didn’t hang around. Maybe I’ll make it out to meet some folks and watch the races at RA though.