1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking 2020 BMW S1000RR Ownership experience

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Feb 26, 2020.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Looking to get a litre bike after a considerable break from riding/racing. Mostly canyons. Some trackdays. The 2020 BMW S1000RR is finally in stock and available for purchase. Lots written about the flat spot, fluid leaks and cracked carbon wheels. Please post up your experience with the bike. An alternative is an RSV4 new old stock at $16k OTD- feel free to comment on this as well (like you need my encouragement to post opinions LOL!)

Thanks!

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Not on your list but have you considered a Tuono factory, Super Duke, or S1000r? Was always a Superbike canyon guy myself until I switched over, way more comfortable and rewarding to ride fast with a track day or two mixed in. It's hilarious passing sportbikes on them as their motors are better for the mountains/canyons.

3. socal

socal Well-Known Member

1290 Superduke was my last bike. Despite Dave Moss' best efforts front end never felt planted. Perhaps it was the bolt upright position on the bike.

4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Check the new one. Pretty sure they swapped to a better suspension and the new RC8 frame is supposed to rectify the old issues

nlzmo400r likes this.
  5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

the new 1290 is much more sportbike in terms of weight balance and geometry than the old one. I also felt the old one was a sofa with a huge engine. I think the new one would be a perfect street/trackday weapon.

6. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I believe I read in Cycle News that on the new model, they raised the swingarm pivot so that it would have more antisquat in the rear and steer better coming off corners. FWIW

7. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Lots to say. I have a very early bike. Go to S1ooorr forum and read. There were some recalls. The carbon wheel issue was nothing. Really only the oil cooler recall is the real recall. The bike does need a tune, as the EPA killed BMW. Love the bike. Very nimble handling.

socal likes this.
  8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

A friend is a service manager for BMW and just picked up his new S1000. I will ask him what's up with any recalls. I know he likes the bike so far, but he works for the brand. Might be a biased opinion.

All the modern 1000's are insanely fast for a street bike, so I say go with what ever bike rings your bell. If I was shopping street bikes, I would probably go Aprilia or R1. I just love the sound and feel of both when you ride em. RSV4 has lots of charisma in my opinion.

socal likes this.
  9. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

I’ve got a 17 s1000rr track bike, and it’s amazing. I had an Aprilia before this, and if I was to buy a street bike with the occasional trackday I’d get the Ape hands down! The sound, feel, power, and response of the V4 under 8k RPM is AWESOME! Plus, the Ape fit and finish is great.

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

When I say an early bike. I have one of the first 2020's to arrive. There is an oil cooler recall that will be done. The carbon wheels cracking is really not true. At best some fat guys had some minor clear coat spidering that was nothing. The bike handles fantastic and is very nimble. The brakes are fine for the street. There is a potential leaky caliper issue, however, it seeps at most. They will replace it if there is an issue. It does need a tune, as the way that it comes from the factory there is a flat spot in 2nd-4th gear at 6000-8500. The top end is ridiculous. The quick shifter is butter smooth. The heated grips are AWESOME when it is cold. Cruise control is great as well. The riding position is comfortable. On the M, the seat is hard at first, however, does brake in. The DDC is great for the street. I would recommend it. Despite the recalls, I really do love the way the bike handles and it feels like a quality piece.

Steeltoe and socal like this.
  11. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comments.

Mille R likes this.