1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seca II in V5

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any reason they're not listed in the allowed bikes?

2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

'cause you make the rules? :)

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

It seems like a decent place for them. Its not like they are all just waiting to come out and dominate any class. Since you brought up vintage rules, how about allowing all Ironhead Sportsters in V-3 and leave the Evo's in V-4.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Isnt that what Wayne rides in V-4?....he bumps to V5 doesn't he?

Ironheads....yeah baby:).....I agree with Ken....I've got a couple, but thinking about a period dragbike....yeah someday.

5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the Seca 2 the bike Jim Johnson rode , that got protested all the time by Joe in V-5 ?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord, I'd forgotten about that. I think the issue there was more the level of build but can't remember for sure.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email me about it.

8. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Seca II was a later generation than the four cylinder bikes originally included in V5. And I do now remember the Seca II protest too...

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Are you sure on that? My brother had a Seca II that was most definitely an air-cooled 600cc inline 4.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is an air cooled 600-4 - but it's newer than most V5 machines.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

sorry - i misunderstood his post.

I was erroneously inferring that he was saying the Seca II was originally allowed, but that at some point it changed engine configurations or something. I read "than" as "of," basically.

JBall likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No worries. It's one of those things that people have run in V5 because it does work well there - I'm wondering why it was never put in officially. More curious if there is something I'm missing in it's performance capabilities or the like.

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

My brother once had a Seca II.

'Racing' was not the first thing that came mind when you rode it.....

14. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Sounds like more trouble and protests to me... Jims bike was making 100 ponies....plus

15. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Aren't they really good for mosquito control?

JBall likes this.
  16. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

When they down shifted...

Killswitch likes this.
  17. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Jims GS made over 100hp. Not the Seca..
    My RZ was faster in a straight line.
    If I remember correctly it made high 60's.
    Danny Mars built it.
    Just make sure you restrict them to the 8-valve engine..16 valve was way later..

18. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Very much so. It always helps to remind the staff that these things smoke.

My first trackbike was an ex-Seca cup bike and I got black flagged my first two weekends on the thing because they thought it was leaking oil. Jim Sublet had to remind the corner workers each weekend after that.

JBall likes this.
  19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I was gonna say, wow. 100 hp from an air cooled 600 would be something.

Killswitch likes this.
  20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The Seca II was a later generation bike with single shock, downdraft carbs and not to mention it did not fall into the years allowed in the V5 class. Yes, I protested Jim Johnson because the bike was not legal in any way as the rules are written. He bitched at me directly about me protesting him which I can't understand because the rule book is black and white to me. I even told him to request a rule change specifically allowing the bike in the class during the off-season which he never did. IMO, the bike fits in the class as long as the rule book is updated.

As a side note, I wrote in the off-season to have a 1cc bump in engine size from 395cc to 396cc so my hybrid would be legal in a particular sportsman class. I wasn't going to race my hybrid in the class even if I was only 1cc too big. Sean changed the rulebook from 395 to 396 so I was legal. I take the rulebook very seriously and believe others should to.

compmoto, Killswitch, WERA33 and 3 others like this.