1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seattle/Everett/Tacoma, Washington folks.

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Nov 23, 2015.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Man, and I thought I moved a lot, I am not worthy of your exploits. :D

2. Technically I have rented the same house in Long Beach for over 3 years now, it’s almost the longest I’ve stayed in one spot. Almost.

That doesn’t mean I’ve always lived there. :crackup::oops:

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I can't believe you still are married.

4. I’ve been wandering around this country for 16 years now. I’m going to have to commit to something...

5. Me either. Seriously.

6. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

maybe wrong country. been wondering myself

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ahem. I think someone mentioned the fact that you would end up in the PNW. I did miss the fact that those hose bags in Alameda wouldnt actually have the budget.

Enjoy. I used to be around N Seattle, Woodinville (sp?), Everett, etc.
    Traffic is about the same as LA, but with less roads to drive on, so you've got that going for you.

8. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Tacoma is a great place to live and is far less expensive compared to Seattle. I lived in downtown for a few years and loved it. The Ruston area is beautiful. Avoid Hilltop because..... reasons.

Traffic can be awful if you're commuting at the wrong times. It's much less of an issue of you're going against the flow, even in the peak times. Definitely consider traffic in your planning. 405 can get nasty.

9. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

For that kind of money, you will be a bit further out than you would probably like. This place has been on and off a bit crazy recently when it comes to real estate. IIRC, we were #1 in the country for growth, and you know what that does to prices. If you can be a bit more specific as far as what you are looking for, I will be able to suggest areas that are good, and ones to avoid.

Smart, but the prices will likely be climbing the entire time.

Pacific Raceways (SIR), The Ridge Motorsports Park (very nice track) and PIR are the 3 closest. If you are in the Seattle area, you are within 3 hours of all 3 of them. I will concur with the suggestion on KFG Motorsports. They did the front end on my RGV and they do good work and are professional. They have a good presence at the track and IIRC, they help out the track record holder as well. There is actually pretty good grip at SIR, but having a set of wets on an extra set of wheels is not a bad idea. Warmers are also well worth having. I re-took riders school at PR last year so I could get a competition license for vintage racing the RGV, but decided that I did not want to get caught in someone else's accident with the bike, so I will only be doing track days with it. I did get a pretty good feeling for the track during the school, which is actually pretty good. They do have some fast instructors pass you closely to see if it rattles your cage, but IMHO, that is not a bad idea. They don't want people getting spooked during the races.

Get ready for a bit of sticker shock on the real estate end of things. Traffic can get pretty bad, depending on where you start and finish as well as what time you are traveling. Take a look on your choice of real estate pages and see what looks good to you, and get an idea of where you will be looking. We moved from Arlington to Everett since I wrote the last post, so I have the perspective of one vs. the other. If you have any questions, PM me your number and I will give you a call and see what I can do to help.

Cheers and see you soon !!!

10. Yeah, I've wanted to be up in the PNW for a LONG time. Over 10 years now, stars never aligned.

I didn't post it because I'm actually still pretty frustrated about the whole situation. I burned a lot of time and energy on it as well as the wife. She was interviewing at places and we also had places lined up to live. Lots of stress in the house over that move. They said around November the position will be created and I told them I'm not carting my family all over the country anymore unless I want to get a divorce. The recruiter laughed but it wasn't meant to be a joke, my wife is going to get fed up with my shit at some point. Shes dealt with this for more than 4 years now, it's time she got some level of stability.

11. Definitely trying to be more rural than any of those places. I just submitted a rental application at a house in Snoqualmie. I love that area. The absolute furthest west I'll be going is Bellvue but I would rather not deal with that level of yuppy. I'm shooting for Sammamish and east. Issaquah is cool too.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If you are willing to drive a fair bit, Cle Elum is reasonable (today, maybe not tomorrow...) and only 60-ish minutes from downtown Seattle, and 52 minutes (according to Google) from North Bend. Ravensdale is a decent spot near Maple Valley, and that's pretty darn close to Pacific Raceways. Anything Auburn/Maple Valley/Black Diamond/Kent is within 30-45 minutes (or closer) to Pacific. Lots of trackdays there.

Cle Elum has crazy epic off road riding six months out of the year (closed due to snow the other six). Anything else close to Seattle is at least an hour to decent dirt bike riding.

13. @RGV 500 A lot of my information in my original post was from 2015. I'll be working in the North Bend area. We now have 2 kids, 2 dogs and need a bigger house. We are capping it at $2400 for a rental. I found a few places that we're extremely interested in, the one we currently want is in Snoqualmie. Not sure where my wife will be working yet as she has had like 10 interviews in a week. Apparently the whole area has a massive RN shortage and is going to end up making more money than she does down here.

As far as wrenching is concerned I've been an aerospace R&D tech for a little while now and I owned a motorbike shop + quite a few years working on car race teams. The original post was about moving my shop up there (it was a bit cagey re-reading it) but I'll be turning wrenches for a living on some pretty fun stuff now (not aerospace for the time being but I have a lot of options and people who want interviews). I won't be riding much anymore, at least not until my shoulder is back up to snuff. I'm in PT and OT for my right shoulder and left wrist respectively. I will have access to a fleet of KTM's 2/4 strokes and some timbersleds plus a few street bikes (might be a 675r I can throw a leg over on the track) so we'll see how long before I actually get back up in the saddle.

As far as sticker shock, I rent in Long Beach,CA right now in a 3 bed 1 bath with a garage that can't fit anything in it (shared with a back house) and the property is worth ~$900k. You couldn't scare me at this point. I've looked up there, regardless of anything where we're going to end up living its going to be at least 60% of what we would have to pay now and thats cool with us.

I'll PM you my number, I don't have any specific questions at the moment but I only know a couple of people up there so I might call you to move a fridge or a tire machine. :crackup::crackup:

sill'r B sill'd likes this.
  14. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Well, being out toward North Bend certainly changes what you will be able to find as far as housing goes. Things start to get a bit more reasonable out that way. You are speaking my language with 2-strokes. I can't wait to get the 500 sorted.

15. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

I lived in Puyallup for 2.5yrs while I was on a job and loved it there. I was working at Ft Lewis and worked odd hours and had back roads there so I cant really say how traffic was.

16. Absolutely. I found a house in Covington that I’m pretty interested in buying but I’ll look at it end of next month when we get there. I would rather be buying something in north bend area but we’ll see, I’m more concerned with getting there and settled. If I can find something that needs work on a couple of acres I may do that and start working on it while we rent.

17. Thankfully I won’t have to worry about traffic since I’ll be setting my own schedule and have a ton of freedom/flexibility. My wife on the other hand may have to worry about it depending what shift she works at a hospital.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just can not believe you didn't take the Texas option. I had a list of stuff for you to do... :D

19. They never even called. I tried. Wife was ready to go! :moon:

20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That commute to North Bend is highway 18, which can be a bear during regular hours. However, it's very close to East Hill/Meridian, which I seem to remember has some medical stuff around there. Or not, I'm not too familiar, but that's a pretty well populated area so a good chance for your wife to find work in a medical field.

I just looked on Maps, and there are some pretty big names in medical located in Covington. UW, Valley Medical, etc. Which usually means pretty good medical support.