1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat Height For Superbike Tail

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Black89, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Background info is I ride a track only 05 R1 and I have some armor bodies superbike body work. Stock suspension I run Dunlop 209's or 211's tires. I've played around alot with the mounting of the superbike tail and the seat pan (everything else is perfect love the bodywork).

My problem is when I mount it up it is really high in the back, like 1.5" higher in the rear than the stock seat would be and 3/4" higher in the front than the stock seat. It really throws me forward so it feels like I can't even rest my chest on the tank my weight just falls on my handle bars especially under braking.

I searched but couldn't find any info on seat height and how it affects the bikes handling. I'm sure the 55 rear affects this too but my stock rear shock won't let me adjust ride height (I don't think).

Do you guys pay a lot of attention to seat height/angle?

2. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

Generally, the higher the center of gravity, the easier it is to flick the bike side-to-side. The trade-off is stability. You'll notice that if the bike feels like it "falls" into turns, or lifts the rear wheel under hard braking and wheelies under acceleration. Ergonomics are subjective... if works for you, great. If not, then try another seat configuration

3. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I'm 6'0 180lbs without gear and something is off Ergonomically. When I dropped the rearsets from the top back spot to the back middle spot (have adjustable graves) the bike seriously felt a million times better. I dropped over a second off my laptimes just by doing that. It felt like it helped me get my weight lower when I was weighting the pegs.