1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat foam glue - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tophyr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Cuz this shit ain't workin out.

I've tried Gorilla glue, super glue (cyanoacrylate), epoxy, and 3M Spray Adhesive. No matter what, about halfway through the race it comes loose and starts shifting around - I assume it's a combination of heat and forces doing the loosening. PSX_20190612_122252.jpg

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

3M 74 Spray. Welds that stuff on there. Wal Mart usually has it.

418, MELK-MAN and tophyr like this.
  3. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Wurth has some mighty good contact cement also.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Contact cement... not spray but cement..

Small bottle at Home Depot with black and red label...

Coat tail, coat seat, wait 10 min then place on. Put a big book on top and run a tie down over bike from rear set to rear set for 24 hours..Works like a charm.

418, Gixxerguy855 and MachineR1 like this.
  5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Contact @ChemGuy for a recommendation (and maybe a sample).

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Appreciate the shout out.
    And i would be happy to provide some materials, but shipping solvent based contact cements is a pain and expensive.

I would guess that you either didnt use the right adhesive, or maybe didnt use it correctly. There's also a very good chance what you used had a softening point too low, ie the heat from the sun softened the bond and that caused adhesion loss. An aerosol spray adhesive should work well for gluing the seat foam down.
    Clean off as much residue as you can from the foam and the tail. Go to home depot and get some 3M spray 80 or 90. The 80 is made especially for rubber and vinyl. The 90 is a higher strength, higher temp spray adhesive and should bond well to the foam.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks for all the recommendations.. I'm gonna guess that yeah, I probably just didn't apply it correctly (and possibly the layers of other glues already on the foam ended up screwing up the bond). I'll shave the foam to be clean on the bottom and re-try with the 3M stuff.

ChemGuy, do you have a product related to this? I'd love to rep it on the bike if so - still haven't forgotten your loan of SV forks :)

8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Industrial Strength velcro

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

it looks like u left a paper-type backing on the foam. ive bought some seat foam before that had bullshit backing that would only come off in a million pieces. scrape everything off the foam with some 80grit sandpaper or a rasp and retry 3M spray glue.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just fucking raw dawg it! :D

Ps- don't its not fun, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

While you're at it replace your foam with one of these.

https://www.gravesport.com/categories/sport-bike-parts/seat.html

I had the same foam seat as you have there on my R6 and was sliding all over the seat mid corner. Emerson at BobbleheadMoto recommended the Graves foam cause he
    has it on his R6 at that time. Stupid price for seat foam, but damn...not sliding into the tank and shifting weight mid corner sure helps make riding a hell of lot easier.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Thanks everyone! I cleaned the residue completely off the tail section with acetone, and then used 3m 90 Spray Adhesive to bond a new pad (figuring the old one had some glue layers I didn't want to eff with). Worked like a charm, seat is rock solid. I waited longer for the 3M to get tackier, as well, which I think is probably what I did wrong last time. And yeah @stangmx13 I noticed what I think you meant on the new pad - I removed the actual-paper backing protecting the foam's own adhesive, obviously, but then the adhesive layer itself did look like some sort of soaked-paper thing so I took that off too. Good idea.

ChemGuy, stangmx13 and TLR67 like this.
  13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Chem Guy is a very helpful guy.

14. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

shoe goo. it's what they make shoes with. what are shoes mostly? foam.

15. ChemGuy

Glad it worked out Chris.

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Old thread, same subject. Any new recommendations beyond 3M 90?

I have a Graves seat pad that is stuck on pretty well, but want to remove to do some work to seat and then reapply seat pad.

17. ChemGuy

If it works dont break it.

I have seen some formulas used in aerospace that are 30-40-50+ years old. Everyone uses them as they are proven and work.

@tophyr did the 3M spray 90 hold up?

18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I actually found a good seat foam on Ebay super cheap I used it on my R1 SBK tail. https://www.ebay.com/itm/164387031488
    It is really sticky and easy to cut/shape.

I also overpaid for the graves pad for my R6. I havent used it yet, cause my painter ran off with my plastics and closed his shop.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Lightech makes a cheap good universel seat pad also.

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Like it was designed for it :beer: