1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searched but not luck. So, how long do tires last?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DmanSlam, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Re the title, I searched using different combinations of words and questions. But no solid hits in the first 2 pages.

What's the rule of thumb for how many track days I should expect "street" tires to last, if used solely for the track?

I run in the intermediate class (about mid-pack pace, I guess). I don't use tire warmers since I prefer the performance street tires.

I ran 3 track days on 2019 Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs on my gixxer 600 track-only bike.

The tracks I ran were:

- 1 day on Summit Point Shenny (has concrete in most of the corners)
    - then 2 days on the Summit Point main track (concrete in some corners, but heavily-coated from rubber laid down by race cars)

Should I consider my tires done after 3 track days? If so, I'm in need of tires mounted in the next few days then.

Thanks!

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

If you are running a gixxer, at that pace, your assessment is spot on. Sell the used one on the gixxer forum and get a new set for the next gixxer trackday

WingLeaner likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Haha, it still works...

Sorry for not providing better info.

I guess the answer is Dunlop Q4

And gixxer

Steeltoe and Shenanigans like this.
  4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I got nothing.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

About tree fiddy miles.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

At your pace, when cords start showing or tech tells you they're about done. At a faster pace, when they start getting greasy.

badmoon692008 and pscook like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

there are street tires ? for motorcycles? ?

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  8. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Yes, and the OP prefers them.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nothing wrong with that. Mid-pack intermediate, that's an appropriate choice.

10. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

FYI for the OP:
    Obviously, this is a race-oriented forum; Many (most?) here have disdain for trackdays & trackday riders, of which I am one exclusively.
    Common attitude is "Why mess with trackdays blah blah blah? Why not not just race blah blah blah?" Thus the glib, useless responses thus far.

There are many reasons why I don't "Just Race", that I won't go into.
    Bottom line: I like riding my motorcycle at a pace that is irresponsible and illegal on the street.
    I have little interest/competitive spirit/re$ource$ to make racing a dedicated hobby. I simply enjoy hauling ass on a track with friends now and then.

I too identify as a mid-intermediate, typically 6 trackdays a year (FWIW, 35-ish yrs of street exp). At 54, I'm likely close to being as fast (not very) as I'm ever gonna get.
    From my experience and pace, I figure "street/track" hypersport tires start to lose that fresh, grippy feeling at around 6-8 trackdays.
    This corroborates well with paddock conversations with the 'usual suspects' I typically ride with (similar philosophy, age, and pace +/- ).

A representative picture of tires our paddock group rides on:
    Dunlop Q3+, B'Stone BT-016 PRO & S-21, Pirelli Supercorsa & Rosso Corsa, Michelin PR4.
    Starting at around 6 days of track use, all of us have experienced greasy feeling or 'moments' (i.e. front or rear stepping out unexpectedly), that worsens gradually over time.
    Still lots of street life, just not reliable for track-level cornering loads.
    I currently have 1.5 track days on Pirelli Rosso Corsa II (my first Pirellis). I like them so far, curious to see how they hold up over time.

Clearly, YRMV.
    Just offering some hopefully relevant, useful info. Sorry it got a bit long winded.
    Good Luck.

jd41 and pscook like this.
  11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Just an FYI i have raced on tires which were not nearly as good as Q3s (D604s). I cannot give any info on life time but I know I used a set hard for a day on a cbr1K and although and stayed consistent throughout the day. I was surprised that you could run them as hard as I was.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Tire wear depends on suspension set up, suspension quality, riding style, horsepower, tire compound, weather, track abrasiveness and probably some other stuff I am leaving out. Shenny used to be a bit more abrasive than Main, but since the Main repave and Shenny aging, they are pretty close now. Neither is overly abrasive and on a 600 at mid-intermediate pace I would probably expect about 4-6 days out of a front and 3-5 day out of a rear on performance street tires.

OP - If the tire still has plenty of wear showing on the wear bars and isn't discolored (bluish) it is probably good to go for at least one more day. If you are coming to Shenny this Saturday, see you there, but don't look for the bike in the pic. The R1 sits out Shenny and I will be on my red and white SV650 #712. Grey canopy / Black Touareg / Silver 6x12 trailer. Feel free to stop by and say hi.

badmoon692008 and DmanSlam like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wear em til the sipes are gone...plus 3 laps

14. DmanSlam

I've seen this posted elsewhere. What does "Chaotic is an idjit" mean? Or is is a bad typo that turned funny given the context it was found in?

15. DmanSlam

For the win! Thank you ronin1052. I gathered everyone was being funny. *crickets*

16. DmanSlam

2BlueYam, more good stuff. Thanks man!

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Inside joke from a long time ago, when you type Gixx.er without the . it gets replaced with chaotic is an idjit.

I think you have many good answers, they will probably last 6-8 trackdays at your current pace. After you get that many days, just pay attention once you get that greasy feeling, slow down your pace and make sure you are very smooth until you can replace the tires. We ran race tires, and those could turn blue and still be good, so I wouldn't throw out a blue tire based on color only.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    WingLeaner, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  18. DmanSlam

Thanks rob linders. I re-read my original post and noticed my gix x er reference got translated too.

Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

OP write down how many miles or laps you do at each session/weekend. Then you will know in advance when the tires are getting close to replacing.
    Fyi Pirelli supercorsa TD trackday DOTs are new and worth a try.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. DmanSlam

Hey Dale. I think we met. You had the SV650 with gix xer fairings, right? If so, you were pitted across from my buddy (Anthony, black/white gix xer) and his friend (orange kawi). I had the grey gix xer with red wheels.

All, the tires held up surprisingly well. I may do one more track day on them...on a day that a Pirelli tire vendor is present so that I get fresh tires if need be. Thanks for all the feedback.