1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screws punctured top of fuel tank, what's the best way to seal the holes?

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, May 23, 2017.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I recently rebuilt the air compressors on the '71 Continental. I had remounted them with only one screw attaching each compressor.
    Started smelling fuel in the cabin immediately afterwards.

PO or some other eejit had pierced the top of the fuel tank. Compressors were mounted on the shelf in the trunk, right above the fuel tank.

Should I fork out for a NOS tank - $450 ?
    Use a combination of JB Weld and plugging the holes with the screws?
    Have the holes welded shut?

P.S interior of the tank is like new, no sign of corrosion at all.

2. I've had on 2 separate occasions customer's gas tanks on ninja 250's that the previous person who worked on them put too long of bolts back in and unknowingly punctured the tanks on BOTH sides. Finding tanks for those things is harder than it seems so we ended up temporarily using JB Water Weld. Well a year later both tanks are holding up fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Ideally I would have replaced the tanks but it wasn't an option at the time.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

As it is the top of the tank and will be protected and out of sight I would probably go the screws and JB Weld route. Silicone or that Seal All stuff would probably work to make sure the screws dont come out too.

4. L8RSK8R

• I used JB Weld on my RSVR tank, which had a weeping hairline crack on one of the front mounting tabs. Still sealing 4 years later.
    I was thinking to use JBW as a gasket for the screw heads, then once cured, build up JBW over the screwheads to seal them in.

I can't believe I was running about in the car, with full tank of fuel & two compressors running (occasionally) within an inch of the gas fumes :/

5. joec

joec brace yourself

sharpened pencil point. Rtv. That and screws sealed my bonneville tank for years. Lol.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

7. caferace

caferace No.

Not uncommon at all on the Gen 2's. The bolts for the side panels and the bolts for the front fairings look nearly identical. However, one is 1mm longer and for a newb that's an easy mistake to make.

I was a 250 newb a long, long time ago. I used JBW as well. Lasted for a lifetime of race laps.

-jim

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nobody else wants pics of this ride?

lrrs_311 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, I hate being jealous.

Canadian Bacon, lrrs_311 and L8RSK8R like this.
  10. L8RSK8R

Tanks back in place and we're back in business. I used screws & JB'd over the screw heads to seal/keep them in place.

11. caferace

caferace No.

FWIW, I hotglued a rubber grommet to the square bit on the tank the bolt threaded into, *just in case* I (or my crew) made the same mistake in a rush at the track. Worked a charm.

-jim

12. Sure you are not thinking about repairing your mandals?

13. caferace

caferace No.

I love how that persists. Two years on now without. I should get a new pair and just hang them on the wall for photos. :D

-jim

14. I may have to PayPal you some money just for a new pair :)

caferace likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Start a gofundme for poor Shoeless Jim. :crackup:

16. caferace

caferace No.

shut it.

-jim

17. caferace

caferace No.

Not a bad idea though for my buddy in Cabo. He's been a knucklehead. You can't take the Gringo out of Gringo.

-jim.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

PM me the address of the soup kitchen I can get my worn out crocs delivered to you at so you don't go barefoot until the mad dollas for the Manolo's come in. :D

19. caferace

caferace No.

<--

-jim