1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screws or no screws?

Discussion in 'General' started by f4idrew, Apr 24, 2008.

1. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

So broke my ankle. Waiting for the swelling to go down to make a decision of whether or not to get screws put in. What are your experiences with screws in the ankle? Did your boots rub them afterward or irritate them afterwards? They said this type of break is prone to arthritis down the road:down: .. wonder if screws would make that worse..

If i get screws put in i can use my ankle sooner. Stand, walk whatever sooner than not having them in. I figure this is better for rehab and just getting back on the bike sooner. Otherwise no screws and just let it heal on its own but im in a cast longer and cant use the ankle.

Whats says you BBS??

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

you will def. have more arthritis if you get screws in.............your recovery time will be quicker if you get screws in as well......

3. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Typically if a bone can and does heal on it's own and you don't rely on it to make money and can follow the Dr.s orders to a T, let the bone heal on it's own, they typically have less swelling, pain and nagging problems years later.

If you can't follows Dr orders for not using it, or are in a hurry to walk again get the screws.

4. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

I've got a plate and screws in one ankle, and to be honest, the plate is more of a bother than the screws.
    That being said, I think that anything that will get you on your feet faster is of benifit. The longer that you are cast, the more muscle will atrophy, and the more tendons will shrink.
    Physical therapy is key to quick recovery. Find a therapist that will hurt you, as they will actually push you hard enough to get back what you've lost much sooner. Range of motion is much more important than strength initially. If you don't get the range of motion back ASAP, you'll never get it back. Strength will come over time.

5. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I Broke my ankle at the end of OCT and got screws NOV 1st. I was walking again DEC 13. A month later (JAN) I was able to run again. The biggest thing for me with the screws was I was given a walking cast to stabilize it. I was still on crutches, non-weight bearing. But I was able remove the splint to move my ankle around to keep it flexable. I was also able to sleep without a damn cast on :up:

6. jgalt

jgalt Well-Known Member

I had five plates and twenty some odd screws from shattering both Tib and Fib in both legs. One screw started to back out, and was causing pain and swelling. I had all of it removed. I second what was said in an earlier post that if you know need them, don't get them. I didn't have a choice. That was the only way they could keep all the little pieces in the correct spots.

7. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Get the screws. The biggest contributing factor to long term arthritis is going to be the amount of chronic inflamation you have in the joint. Without a doubt you're healing process will be much quicker and complete if you have surgery to mechanically reduce the fracture with hardware. As long as the procedure goes well and there's no debris or infection in the joint your short and long term recovery post-op is very good.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I had the choice between a plate or now plate on my wrist. The argument was if there was a problem later and I got the plate they could do something about it. Without it there would be nothing they could do.

9. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Scews it is...

Well, turns out I didn't have a choice. 5 screws going in Thursday. Hopefully be back on the foot in a few weeks.

10. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Not sure what your profession is or your wealth. To me whatever is going to be the best solution LONG TERM is what you should do.

I am a contractor and work for myself, if I ever fook anything up I am screwed for life.

I dislocated my shoulder about 8 years ago. For the most part its fine, although it pops in and out at random. The best is when I am sleeping and it wakes me up cause it slides out.

Good luck with all you do.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

forget the screws:down: i'm getting ready to have another surgery(number 6) to remove 3 screws from my ankle that is fused. you can feel them in my heel. If the break is not displaced don't have it screwed

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have 8 screws and a TI plate in my left distal radius bone (left arm). Its been almost 2 years and no rubbing or problems except it has a bone pain ever now and then. I accept it will never be 100% I was told that up front but considering they initially wanted to fuse my wrist I'm real happy with the way it is today. Its a $20k arm as of right now.:wow: