1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screw Hollywood

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dutch, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

2. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Flunked exam to enter University of Dayton???? :eek:

Dutch, kickA$$ info. "Scuse me but I have about a couple dozen folks to send this link to. :D

3. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah. Screw Hollywood, F@ck Hollywood, baaaah baaah baaaah.

I'm certainly not trying to support Hollywood, but I am in favor of people speaking their mind. The war isn't about Hollywood. Do you yell as loud about celebrities who speak out in favor of the war? People are entitled to their opinions whatever they are.

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

once again reading comprehension fails rsdud. it is about uneducated assholes in hollywood using their status instead of zeal to try and tarnish the greatest president and cabinet this country has ever seen. like alec baldwin can call anyone a moron? ;)

5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

RS Daddy-O, this article speaks for itself. This group of criticizing geniuses are qualified for NOTHING other than reciting the lines other people have written for them. When confronted with facts they turn a deaf ear because their rant is totally based on emotion, and hatred of someone that was elected over their chosen candidate. Boo-frickin-hoo! I love movies, but I will avoid the movies these schleprocks appear in. I, too am entitled to my opinions, and I can voice it with my wallet.

6. thuxley

thuxley Well-Known Member

It seems the point of this is to invalidate the opinions of the anti-war celebrities based on their education levels. I'm surprised you would want to go down the path of argument by authority instead of just attacking the specifics of what they are saying.

In a January poll analysis by Gallup:
    "Public support for an invasion of Iraq has been in the mid-50% range since talk of U.S. military action against Iraq intensified last summer. An analysis of the data from six recent Gallup Polls shows support highest among Republicans, conservatives, younger Americans, and those with a high school education or less. A majority of blacks, Democrats, liberals, and those with a postgraduate education oppose an invasion. Men are slightly more likely than women to favor U.S. action against Iraq. "

I would guess that even now, approval percentages for the war decrease as education levels increase.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  7. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Yeah. Who wants to hear a bunch of hypocritical blowhards make personal attacks against the President? It kind of reminds me of when Bob Barr, Newt Gingrich, Henry Hyde and the rest were attacking the "moral" character or Clinton. But I'm sure you all spoke out against that too, right? Or, like the people who you criticize, do you make your judgement based more on who the target of the criticism is rather than the validity of the accusations?

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yep. the only difference is this: GW Bush and co. say "we are going into iraq for reasons a,b, and c. hollywood {and all opposition} says "i'm ashamed to be blah blah blah." with no reasonable argument whatsoever, and people buy it. i don't care if you clowns are against it. frankly i'm glad the smart ones in office don't care either. just so your sorry hides will be safe in the future. too bad there isn't a way that terrorist plots could only injure the stupid war opposition.

oh, and :) for laurie, and huey.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  9. thuxley

I guess whether you think opposing arguments for the war are unreasonable is totally subjective, but don't dumb down your argument by stating that all opposition is based on shame.

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

the thread IS about hollywood. have you not read the quotes? probably not. oh well, i'm glad dubya is looking out for you all the same. alright thuxley, how will leaving saddam in power result in peace and justice? bye.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

gets em' every time. :D

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I still find it hilarious that people like you try to draw a correlation between Newt Gingrich/ Henry Hyde having had extramarital affairs and Bill Clinton perjuring himself in front of a grand jury, only trying to cover up his own affair. Oh, I forgot. That was not really sex. And what did Bob Barr do that was so horrific? Funny how his name gets dragged through the mud with Hyde and Gingrich. Were Gingrich, Hyde, or Barr disbarred?

13. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Hell, I just figured this place needed a new angle on the same old argument ;)

FWIW - I 100% support anyone's right to voice their opinion no matter what it might be or whether or not I agree with it. And when I disagree with those opinions I too will excersise that right and makes posts like the one I did above. I think it's totally valid to call into question the intellignce and qualifications of those who use their capture on the public to push their own agenda while calling into question the intelligence and qualifications of those they oppose. If they can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And just for the record, I read a book last night instead of watching the West Wing

14. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Hey Dutch:
    Where is that quote from?

"Chicks dig me cause I rarely wear underwear. And when I do it's usually sumthin exotic"

That is really funny.

15. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Stripes- Bill Murray

16. thuxley

The thread was supposedly about how stupid hollywood is as measured by their education.

I doubt you really are glad GW is looking out for me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and thanks.

First, the question about peace and justice is vague and naive, but I'll take a stab at it anyway even though I should know better.
    I don't believe that leaving saddam in power will result in peace and justice nor do I believe that going to war in the manner that we have or at the time we have will either. But even if my worst fears come true (increased terrorism against Americans home and abroad, ruined economy, international isolationism, a long-term occupation of a hostile country with ethnic and sectarian violence, new pre-emptive foreign policies by nuclear nations, etc) I wouldn't be able to say with certainty that not going to war would have resulted in a safer or better world. It is too late to know now, and I don't see much point in arguing what-ifs. I can only hope for the best at this point.

17. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:rolleyes: those people clawing at the food and water on tv yesterday were hostile weren't they? i suppose you would STILL say "let the u.n. work" about this venture.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What are you talking about Brad? Canadians are seldom hostile. :D

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yeah, i heard we sent twenty troops to invade canada.

{since canada had all twenty troops in iraq, the takeover was pretty easy}

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Correct. But I'm sure RSDad wanted me to answer so he could quickly point out how hypocritical it is of me to have that quote while posting in opposition of some of Hollywood's views. Trust me, if Bill Murray was among those listed in that thread that quote would no longer be my signature.