1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpion helmets?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Mar 10, 2009.

1. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I said it was funny... I am not balding by any means but I do have one of those genetic pointy widow's peaks. Dang if my rounder helmets didn't thin that stupid thing right out just near the pointy part where it pressed on my forehead harder than the arai. I clippered my head pretty close last summer and my brother kept looking at me funny for a couple hours before he said anything. Sure enough I went over to the mirror and dang if it wasn't thin in that little 1 inch area... he laughed at me for a while until my hair grew back out enough to cover it up. Now I keep a little more hair right there to avoid the snickers....lol

Changing helmet shapes is the only thing I can think of that did it because it hadn't thinned out there when I was still solely an arai wearer.

2. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

1 smashed 700 and 2 smashed 400's...No smashed head. Bought 2 more 400's Love Them and they work!!!! :up:

3. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Scorp EXO == AGV TiTech in UK Sharp Test.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Full-on multi-impact destructive testing ratings. Scorpion EXO rated 4 of 5 Stars--same as AGV TiTech.

5-start Top-rated lids:

• Shark RSR2
    • AGV GP-Tech
    • Bell M1
    • Arai GP5X,
    • Lazer LG6
    • HJC HQ-1

Arai Corsair received 3 stars--which is crap for what it costs--same with Suomy.

The Scorpion liner is not plush like the Shark or AGV, and the preservative treatment smells like Froot Loops, but its a reasonably light lid with great venting.

I plan to race with my EXO this year and about a third the cost of the Shark. It's top-shelf quality.

4. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

I was a hater, until I tried one and now I'm a big fan of their helmets...my 700 fits me even better than my Arai and indeed the no-fog works great. :up: STG hooked me up with mine last year...at a killer price :up:

5. ktkwong

ktkwong newbie of WERA

I had a scorpion 700 last year in march when i was involved in a head-on accident with a car. I had a concussion and was airlifted... so i dont know if it was me or the helmet..

Nonetheless, i am using an exo700 again, only because i love the fit and feel, and the anti-fog actually works.

6. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

Kudos to Scorpion. Like my 400 & 700 :up:

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I've crashed twice wearing a scorpion & hit my head both times, hard. no head injury to speak of. great helmet, exceptional value. I'm wearing a Vemar this year, but if I had to spend my own money, scorpion has strong pull.

8. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

That is definately true about buying closeout.

I race with an EXO-700 and i love it, i have gone full circle with helmets, first ever was a scorpion then i went to Shoei RF-1000's then to Shoei X-11's. Now im done spending 500+ on a lid and back to scorpion now and don't see changing anytime soon.:up:

9. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

fwiw, their dirt helmets are pimp too...

10. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

I have a Scorpion from STG and am well pleased

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I replied to your PM, but the short story is that I agree with everything the positive reviewers here said. Scorpions IMO are by _far_ the best value in helmets going.

However, any anecdotal safety evidence should be ignored either way. I know a guy who looped an R1 on the freeway going 100 with one of those stupid skull caps on and he whacked his head, and was fine. That doesn't mean that they're safe. I also know a guy who low-sided on oil going literally 3mph in a mall lot...hit his Shoei-encased head on the curb and had a concussion. That doesn't mean Shoeis are bad.

If a helmet passes a quality safety standard, then it's a safe helmet. Buy and wear with confidence.

12. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I've taken shots to the head in a Suomy and a couple times in a 700. I feel like he 700 did a much better job then the Suomy every time. I'll be sticking with the Scorpions for a long time, and at the price, I alway have a spare or two around.

13. Infinotize

Infinotize Well-Known Member

I've gotta say, I was sold on the no fog at first, but after wearing a 700 on the street for a while, if it's below 40, or below 50 and wet out, it's gonna fog.

Another thing I don't like: the visor release mechanism is very exposed. This makes visor changes take all of 5 seconds, but I took a spill on the track and one of the first things to hit was the side of the helmet. Mechanism broke apart and the visor flew off, I didn't like tumbling around without any eye protection. But I've got both of mine on closeout for about $115, and there isn't any helmet value that comes even remotely close to that.

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You dudes have me convinced. I'm gonna order one.

FOr the guys that switched from Arai - what shell type would you say the Scorpion is closest too? I normally wear a Profile or Corsair, I can't wear a Quantum because it puts so much pressure on the front of my head. I have a bigass cro-magnon head and sometimes a good fit is hard to come by. In a Suomy Spec1-R I have to order a XXL, I can't even get the XL all the way on.

15. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

it isn't the profile or the signet shape. It feels to me somewhere between the corsair and the quantum but not as round as the quantum. I guess it is just a little off the corsair judging from my head shape. The profile isn't as long oval as the signet used to be so it is tighter on my forehead than my old signet but still managable and breaks in with a great fit.

I hate to say it but you gotta try them on if you can. I wear a medium arai signet, profile, corsair and hated the feel of the med scorpion at first but the large had way too much slop on the sides for me. Once I wore the medium a couple times it worked in and fit better. While still not ideal, better. Just try them if you can. I know my local dealer has some of the XL and XXL scorpions on his shelves... maybe you can find one that has them there too.

16. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I switched to Scorpion after running Arai Corsairs for years, and I haven't looked back since. Love my 700. The visor mechanism is worlds better. Have one of their dirt helmets too and it's very nice.

17. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

closer to Corsair.

18. davenjai

davenjai New Member

Scorpion's fit real tight on my round head. A new large causes me to bite the inside of my cheeks, XL is just too big. They do break in and the anti fog lasts if you clean the inside of the shield correctly. They seem to wreck well and no memory loss from a low speed HS. The face shield was hanging off though. I like the venting on the 700 over the 400 better. They also "feel" heavier on my head then Shoei RF9 and lighter then AGV (forget the model), never had an Arai.

19. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

this coming from a guy with a big head. you have a big head. they seem to run a bit smaller in size. and they also have the helmet that you pump up likes those old school shoes for a perfect custom fit.

20. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It won't fog if you crack the shield open. It's not magic...eventually anything will fog when conditions are extreme. The only thing I would improve on the 400 and 700 is that they need a little lever like a Shoei (and like a Scorpion Exo1000) to crack the shield open. If they did that, they'd be perfect.

On my race helmet I put 2 bigass zip ties around the chin bar to hold the shield cracked open...have raced in crazy fog conditions (90 deg. muggy, pouring rain/ 28 degrees) and haven't ever had fog with the shield cracked open.

re: fit...IMO the 700 is slightly more oval than the 400. I have several of each, and the 700's fit my oval head a bit better (but the difference isn't huge).