1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scoring Suggestion

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by RichDesmond, Aug 16, 2001.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

I had a thought (yes, it hurt. [​IMG]) about scoring procedures. Given that the transponder system has proven to be fairly reliable, would it make sense to allow the teams to score themselves from their pits rather than from a central location? Basically it would work like this: Every team would be responsible for providing their own stopwatch, perhaps a WERA mandated model. WERA would hand out score sheets, one for each hour. Everybody starts their watch when the green flag drops. You score yourself and run your sheet in after every hour. WERA officials could monitor the sheets the way they do now, except that they'd have to stroll around the pits to do it. Also, they could compare handed-in sheets to the transponder times after every hour. Both of these would be spot checks obviously, but it should be enough to keep everyone honest. Anyone caught cheating should be DQ'ed. It might be best for WERA to not announce when the transponder system has gone down, to minimize the incentive to fudge things.
    This scheme would help three groups of people. The guys running the whole series would need one less person in their group, which saves money, or the aggravation of finding a local scorer. The local guys might be more inclined to run a round or 2 if the additional scorer burden is removed. WERA would benefit because the first 2 would translate into more entries.
    Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

2. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

You don't have to provide a scorer. As long as the transponders don't crap out - your fine. If they do......you go back to lap zero.

Correct me if I wrong, but most scorers get what, $10/hour. What's $40 compared to the 2 sets of tires, entry, hotel, food,....

3. RichDesmond

Yes, I realize that you can do without, and also that you can try to hire one. Scoring's not easy though, and if we're going spend $25,000 and all our vaction time running the series next year then I strongly prefer to have a member of our team doing it. The current system requires one more person vs. what I'm proposing.

4. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Bring a girlfriend/wife/SO/SOB(to which I am sometimes referred) [​IMG] along to be official scorer.

One thing to remember is that the scoring not only needs to be honest, it also need to appear to be honest. I don't think there would be too much credibility where teams are scoring from their pit. There's too much to gain from cheating, espically at the Nat. level.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our problem is that if we do have to go back and use the sheets they must be as accurate and above board as possible which is not possible if we let people do them unsupervised in the pits it's way too easy to cheat.

6. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

nobody cheats do they?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not when I'm watching over their shoulder [​IMG]

For the most part the Endurance Series is a pretty honorable bunch of people.

8. RichDesmond

We do that now. But because she's up there scoring that means she's not available to help with pit stops and we have to have another person.

9. RichDesmond

Well, I guess my thinking was that it would actually be real easy to monitor, especially if you didn't tell anyone when the transponder went down. Some spot checks in the pits and comparison of the handed-in sheets to transponder times ought to keep everyone straight. I can see that you'd be loath to change a system that's worked for so long, but it is costing you guys some money.