1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Zumas

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 4, 2020.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Bought a slightly wrecked 2005 Zuma that has been sitting in a garage for a few years. Battery is dead, brake lever busted, bar has a slight bend (plastic wont fit), gas tank cap so corroded that I had to use force to open it. Old gas in the tank. Carb is probably horrid (throttle wont move the slide).

Whats a good place to source parts. Any aftermarket things that are good? Bend bars back, or replace them? Used carb of ebay, or try and clean things? Any tips on these scooters? Never owned one.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Get a parts cleaner for the carb body and slide. Go ahead and buy new jets; they are not too costly.

Meet up with Metalhead and his Dong and livestream a drag race.

3. YamahaRick

4. YamahaRick

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I’m in the process of finishing an 03. Most parts are available and fairly cheap. I have a lot of old stuff, as I replaced almost all the plastic on mine. Also, have a stock cylinder/head/piston. Have the old carb too. Most of my restore parts came from Babbitts. The 72cc kit I installed came from Team Calamari...they have a lot of Zuma bits, both stock and aftermarket.

Attached Files:

6. YamahaRick

Did you pain the bodywork, or did the pieces come that way? Looks very nice.

7. 88/532

Friend of mine did the paint, and its all paint. Even the tuning fork logos. Team Calamari has replacement body work that is similar.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Sweet paintjob. Want to get rid of that carb? Some of my plastic is busted up to.

9. 88/532

Let me look at the carb, it was not on the scooter when I bought it. I don’t need it or the plastic, so it can go for cost to ship it. Some of new plastic I bought was so cheap, it just made sense to replace. Front fender and floorboard for example were $5.63 and $10.40 respectively.

10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thanks,

What is teh best way to get old gas out of the tank? I need to have the tank flushed with something. Inside looks terrible. Even gas cap is stuck. Had to use pliers to open it.

11. 88/532

Sounds like that little Zuma has sat a while. I’d remove the tank and drain it to get it all the gas out. Depends on what you find in the tank to decide on cleaning.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Its a super clean bike that hit the ground on a side, but then it sat. So I am expecting a full carb/tank re-build.

13. I have the same year. Get a Leo pipe, jet it (I have a spare carb and tons of jets if ya need any). Springs and rollers come with the pipe but also order various rollers. Forget what are in mine but I know they are 3 of one and 3 of another to get it where I wanted it. Mine only has about 100 miles on it. Hasn’t had a battery in it forever so a bitch to start after a long sit because of electric choke. Maybe I’ll swing out that way one day or come down here and try out the new range while you are here. Near the lake where you went before but a proper range.

14. To do a good job take the tank about. Put new fuel lines in it and I have a remote fuel filter on mine I had laying around. Probably better off just ordering a cheap carb off eBay, easier than cleaning one out. Forget what jets are in mine. I think up a couple sizes on the main and just one on the small one. I’ll check my sheet on it later today. I’d also empty the oil tank while you are at it and change the gear lube too. Mine sits a lot but still gets maintenance like the rest of my stuff wether it gets used or not. I run non e in mine just because it sits for so long.

Alex_V likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That looks really nice. I have an old Zuma would like it to look that nice.

16. 88/532

Carb maybe salvageable. An overnight dip in Yamaha carb cleaner/dip might do the trick. I’ve used it with great success. I’ve used Sea Foam Deep Creep with good success also. If the tank is gummed up, the carb dip would work too. For surface rust, I’d fill it completely with cleaning vinegar and let it sit a few days.

17. 88/532

Fairly easy to get them that way. The cost is not a bank breaker either. 008D21F8-0544-497C-BFC2-320D501558A9.jpeg

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

get one with a title @RRP

:D

ChemGuy, RRP and renegade17 like this.
  19. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

on my zuma, I traced the hard to start back to the vacuum fuel petcock. I too thought it was jetting, then I checked the auto choke. Both fine. Turns out those auto chokes are really reliable, no moving parts just some sort of temperature sensative gel (if I'm remembering correctly).

Anyway, the diaphragm on the vacuum petcock becomes inflexible and the fuel flowrate from the gas tank to the empty carb bowl (usually the gas evaporates after a long sit) is so slow. It takes forever to fill the bowl and until it is full, its running lean because of the low fuel height.

Anyway, thought that diagnosis might help

20. Isn’t the choke electric on those? Can’t remember but thanks for the tip and I’ll try that.