1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on used Chevy Avalanche

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jan 21, 2018.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gave up on the broncos so considering avalanche. Pros cons years that were good or bad? Need to find something sooner vs later

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I've owned a first and second generation. The 1st generation I owned was the rare 2500 model with the 8.1 V8. Don't get that unless you want single digit MPG at all times. Though it did haul ass, as well as trailers.

2nd generation is WAY more refined on the interior. Looks way better on the exterior in my opinion as well. If you are planning on towing, hold out for a 2009 or newer with the 6 speed. Unloaded, they get about the same MPG, and actually feel about the same speed as the 6 speed seems to be programmed for fuel economy and upshifts crazy early. With a load, the deeper first gear makes a huge difference in getting up and going, while having much less revs on the highway. Otherwise, it's your standard Chevy small block. Not much to worry about other than the ones with the 4LE60 transmission. Those aren't the most robust transmissions on the planet, but are also incredibly simple and everyone knows how to rebuild one in the event that it comes to that.

They don't have a full floating rear axle, and will sag with much less weight than the comparable half ton pickup though. However, the drive is much like a huge sedan because of it. I found it a perfect do-all type of vehicle, but leaning more towards an SUV with more hauling capacity than a true truck if that makes sense. I owned them when I lived in downtown and couldn't park a truck with an 8 foot bed and a crew cab. I used the fold down midgate constantly and loved that feature. Just short enough that I could squeeze it in where I lived. Part of me wishes they didn't stop making them. They have a crazy cult following around here with insane resale.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Had 1 loved it, was a little bit of a money pit, got rid of it for a 2017 Silverado and miss my Avay.

From what I remember thye didn't change much thoughout the years.

4. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

bought a 2013 4X4 for the ex back when we were married. Sure miss the truck.....

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I believe Broome killed one!

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

LS motors and 4sp transmissions are a terrible driving combo IMO. Get 6sp truck.

7. Yep. Haha.

I shitcanned 3 transmissions in less than 50k miles.

That’s why I got rid of it and got the Duramax.

8. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I had a 04 avalanche and towed with it every weekend with no issues. Traded it with 185k miles to get an 09 LTZ. Great truck but trans went out at 100k and didn't tow all that much.
    Wish I could find a great condition 2013.

9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

they rust under the fake fenders. check those spots. or just get a Honda Ridgeline instead.

10. notbostrom

Ridgeline is not a truck lol

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

haha i mean... it looks almost exactly the same, tows about the same weight, and isn't a giant hunk of garbage. so like...

[​IMG]

badmoon692008, cha0s#242 and Chris like this.
  12. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

drivetrain wise they are going to be pretty much bulletproof if you are not trying to tow. as mentioned earlier. get a 2009 or later. the 6spd trans make a big difference.

if you ever do shit and trans and are close to north AL get with me. I've got a guy that can build a 4l60e / 6l65e that will take every bit of the abuse a stock 80e will take. He gives a one year no questions asked warranty. doesn't care if you grenade it on a race track. just pick up the pieces and bring them to him.

13. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I had one that didn’t turn out good.

Just a get a real truck.

14. notbostrom

Sadly due to price I'll end up with a pre 2008. It will be a 3rd vehicle and only tow a small trailer. It's insane that 10yr old vehicles with well north of 100k miles are 10k plus

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I knew someone that bought one it sucked! So he traded it in on a New one!! It sucked even more !!!

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah... I mean even at teh $5,000 price point there aint anything worth negotiating let alone wasting time to play "find the flaws in this ride" for a couple hundy discount...lol. I dont know if its because people are totally upsidedown in payments or suddenly theres a surplus of Used Car Sales People that have no shame!

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The 4l60's are about good for 100k so be aware of that. Other then that, brake lines and wheel bearings (brake lines depending on where you live).

18. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Considering selling my '07 for a real truck now that I have a suburban. It was a great family vehicle when that was it's primary purpose. Since then as a truck only it's so so. No real issues. Expect typical ls variant issues (oil consumption due to the DoD) and typically run of the mill stuff on the drivetrain.

I've mostly had a problem free ownership with mine and it's at 183k. Bought it with 120k.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. notbostrom

You going to be at homestead next month?

20. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Negative. I haven't ridden track in years. Plus I'm getting ready to go to Oakland, CA for a month in Feb.

I'll be honest it's an LS 4x4 with an overhead DVD player, 183k but super clean. I've done all new suspension, new front wheel bearings, and new brakes within the last 10k miles. I own it outright and not sure what I'm looking to get yet. Trade in value is allegedly $6500-7500 good condition. So I dunno yet. Not sure where you are but I'm near Fredericksburg, VA.