1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on the Tuono

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Been digging the later gen for a while, and playing a stupid motorcycle video while my foot heals (long story) has me thinking about one again.

Newest gen is since... 2012?

What’s good, what’s bad? What can I expect to spend for a decent one?

Mran556 likes this.
  2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

2012-15 have the 1000cc motor with torquier cams but less top end than the RSV4 of same generation. 2016 til current have the 1100cc which has significantly more torque and top end than it's predecessor.

2016+ also led into the differentiation of the R & Factory models. The factory has the RSV4 tail, ohlins suspension front and rear, as well as an Ohlins steering dampener which is MUCH needed on these bikes when ridden properly.

2012-2015 has all the good electronics but 2016+ went to a IMU based platform. The 2017 dash is also full TFT and one of the best on the market. 17' also had cruise control standard.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They are all awesome. Seriously.

Depending on what gadgets you want and what tech you want.

They are fucking solid reliable.

Amazing bike on all counts. I cannot find anything I hate.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I love my '16 RR. It re-sparked my enthusiasm for riding on the street. Everytime i get ready to go for a ride, its like im opening that new toy for the 1st time.

I saved thousands over the factory and patiently waited for the factory ohlins forks to show up for sale.

For $2600, i upgraded with ohlins factory forks, ohlins ttx, ohlins damper and gold aprilia/oz forged wheels.

The biggest reason i opted for non factory was i hated the factory colors and red wheels.

Heres a good article. And dont bother with demo-ing one....just buy it.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/aprilia-tuono-v4-1100-factory-review

5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

M50 calipers biting on 330 mm rotors on the revised 17 also.

6. gapman789

As far as price goes, are you looking at new or used? If finances aren't too big of an issue, id go for '16+ model.

Aprilia resale value sucks. For some reason, they lose value quick. Good for buyer, bad for seller.

$6k for this '13 Tuono, with the 1000cc motor. Can't hardly beat that price for that much bike. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...013-Aprilia-Tuono-V4R-Black-Baltimore-MD-8000

State 8 has some low prices but they add on freight charges, set up fees, etc to their low sale prices.

https://www.state8.com/search/inventory/type/Street Bikes/showroom/APRILIA/usage/New

XPS has low prices too but will ship nationwide for free and not add on freight, setup fees, etc....This is where I bought mine.
    They also installed the Aprilia Race ECU and Arrow slipon for only $1000 when I bought it.

https://www.xps-usa.com/default.asp?page=xAllInventory&at=atv|motorcycle+/+scooter|utility+vehicle|snowmobile#page=xAllInventory&p=2&vt=motorcycle / scooter&make=aprilia

7. gapman789

There's a current recall on the Brembo OEM master cylinders on '16-'17 Tuono/RSV4.
    Apparently Brembo used a plastic plunger that can fail. wtf.

Rico888 likes this.
  8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Almost bought a new 16 last year, ended up #3 on my list . Can find them for <$12k OTD and factory models close to $13 so if you are looking used that's the cap new. Some owners complain of cheap parts and heat. Also consider the lack of dealers if you aren't in/near a major metro market.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. gapman789

They are reported to be hot in stop and go traffic. Not a good commuter bike but most sportbike enthusiasts know that aren't looking to go to the office on one. It's full on race bike with handlebars and comfort.

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Looking for used, 6k seems like a helluva deal for that much bike.

I’m familiar with the Piaggio group parts/dealer network deal... that’s one thing that has me concerned.

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I’ve got a good friend who has a 15. Very comfortable other than the seat which feels like a piece of plywood. Wheelies every where, auto shifter is very smooth. Trips to the gas station become very frequent with a heavy throttle hand. Very fun bike to ride.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’ve always loved the “tonno”

One of the most underrated bikes out there. Do it, you won’t regret it

13. gapman789

Then you know AF1 is the premier dealer in the country. Amazing parts and service. The AF1 Race Shop owners/techs are very active on the forums and bend over backwards to help with any issues.

I would be more worried about dealing with a 'good' Aprilia dealership when buying new in case a warranty issue came up.
    Not so much with buying used and out of warranty. At that point, it's just like any other "AS IS" used bike.

Tuono = thunder. Very fitting.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I've lost count of the number of bikes I've had over the decades, but the Tuono stands out as one of the best (mines a '16 Factory). Outstanding power, suspension, electronics and handling right out of the box.

Regarding heat, it's definitely not for sitting in city traffic but a couple of mods do help: remove the charcoal canister (it's free and helps with airflow through the radiator) and the race ECU comes with a richer map that helps lower temps.

This forum has all the good info: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-2012-2016-Tuono-V4-All-Variants

If you shop, you can find crazy deals. Got mine for $5K off list, brand new.

Finally, it seems reliability isn't the issue today that it was even a couple of years ago, though once in awhile someone will still talk about engine problems after relatively low miles. Stick with the 2015+ model years.

15. Has anyone ever seen a Tuono with saddlebags and a tall windscreen?

I know that have that Capricorn or whateverinthefuck it is called, but it doesn't have the V4. They made it look sorta like the RSV4, but it has that big, lazy, weak, oldass twin motor in it.

I would love to have an Aprilia version of the Multistrada, based on the RSVR/Tuono.

Granted, I could just get a Multistrada, I just don't like how they are so damn big, heavy, and tall.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A Hyper with the Multi engine would be fun :D

17. Now we are talking. :D

That thing would get me in some serious trouble though.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly I wouldn't buy one, the 1100 air cooled is more than enough motor for the bike.

19. I haven't look at the new ones recently, so i went to the website just now. Apparently the Multi is now a 1260; it says it is an all-new engine.

20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Parts availability is a non-issue anymore with the Aprilia's. Xtreme and AF1 usually have everything in stock and if not can easily get it just as fast as any Jap manufacturer nowadays.

I've only dealt with Xtreme from a buyer's standpoint concerning the actual bike purchase but it's my understanding they've surpassed AF1 as the US's #1 importer. As of last month they had around 12 Tuono R's and 10 Tuono Factories on the showroom floor with crates more in the warehouse. Eurosports in Coopersburg, PA I hear is also pretty competent with them.