1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Me on the new Bronco

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

crashman and 418 like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Those mall parking lots....right up there with death valley.

Steeltoe and Phl218 like this.
  3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Who goes to the mall any more?!

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

People who want wide open parking lots for doing burnouts and donuts?

thrak410 likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

No shit. The marketing departments need a kick in their collective dicks when they spout dumb shit like that. But it would be funny to put one of the Trophy Truck guys in one and see how far they could go before parts started to fly off.:crackup:

418 likes this.
  6. Knotcher

I suppose it’d make it out of Ensenada and a few miles into Ojos Negros.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

No kidding, while extremely off road capable.
    There simply not capable of off road "racing".....without proper roll cage and safety equipment.
    Every single Raptor,TRX, Bronco would be totalled in anything over a 30 mpg accident or rollover, And Jeeps..don't get me started, their the worst of the worst in road accidents..... Couldn't imagine what would happen going end over end...
    I live near the largest desert off-road parks in America, I see totalled trucks on aa weekly basis on flatbeds it in the roadside tow yards.
    One thing all trucks or high profile SUVs do...is roll..and they do that often.

9. Knotcher

Also, the suspension isn’t nearly up to the task.

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  10. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

I went out to Rausch Creek with a friend of mine who has one. It wasn't bad, but I don't much about off-road vehicles. Spent a bit of time on the skid plates and rails. The whole time I wanted to rip it up on my KTM.

I'd never pay for one though. It seems too expensive. The engine was pretty weak, cannot imagine with taller tires.

Attached Files:

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. This old Rz

I don't know ? So far to me those Raptor -Bronco Batwing flares look like bolt on Pep Boys/ Bushwacker flares..
    I don't think I'm down with that not for that kind of money it looks like a absolute afterthought.
    Me no likey... I've only seen a couple broncos that I really liked when was the Olympia Bronco Ford blue one they rolled out the Ford trailers in the desert for photoshoots those ones are like but I've never seen anything like them on the road...and I'm really not down with that removable soft top.

12. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Ehhhhh

Attached Files:

13. This old Rz

So as anybody here had one of their bronco engines blow up yet it's starting to make the news.
    There is an investigation underway.
    Apparently Ford says there is as many as 26,000 Broncos that can suffer from sudden engine failure.

Apparently with many of them happening within the first 5,000 miles, inferior valves ,foreign parts or a foreign engine assembly apparently.

Sounds like they've got another 6.0 debacle on their hands.

Sad..... Frankly none of the American car companies can build anything for s*** anymore

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Lol. When could they build things “right”?

the quality control and overall number of breakdowns have gone down in last 20 years.
    how often do you see cars on side of roads now vs the 90s?

the arrival of Japanese cars on the 80s and 90s kicked domestic manufacturers into realizing that they now have to do better. And they did.

See, now, the parts tracking and the ability to determine what is failing from what batch is possible. Back in the day? “Your fault…”

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can usually tell what’s the next big suburban coffee fetcher by going to pay to play youth sports tournaments. this summer there was a sprinkling of those broncos, the small Range Rover, teslas and Q7s but the big GMC suv (Tahoe?) was back in force.

weird was more and more of those big ass bmw X7 and those super high dollar conversion MB sprinters.

the arms race is in full effect in youth sports. :D

renegade17 likes this.
  16. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I had 99-01 Silverados that wouldn't die. Replace a fuel pump every once and a while, and they'd run forever. Current models? Not so much. I used to be a die hard American-made-only guy, but Chevy/Ford/Chrysler (whatever they're calling themselves now) pushed me to Japanese. The Bronco is a non-starter from a reliability perspective.

17. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I can’t remember which publication I read this from but there was a report about recent reliability vs pre-Covid and all manufacturers are suffering reliability issues because of supply constraints and trying to rush vehicles out. From what I remember, Toyota was the most affected.

18. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I know several guys with 2016+ Colorado ZR2s that are well past the 150,000 mile mark with nothing more than routine maintenance/fluid changes.

19. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

150,000 miles isn't much at all. My neighbor had a Silverado Trail Boss with 15K on the clock that had to have the transmission and rear diff replaced under warranty. City driving only, no towing or offroading. The Bronco motors are dropping valves, causing catastrophic engine failures.

20. This old Rz

Yea..I know a long read ...

Hmmmm I have to agree on a lot of levels.. But the bare Bones of reliability, and horrible engineering and quality control of many car companies in the last 2 decades is ridiculous.
    I do still see broken down cars every day 2-5 a day.
    The guy I know who own the towing company .is a multi -millionaire for a reason...

I have had about 6 ? ( Old School) Fords..in my time ,all had orig engines and transmissions. Approx mileage of each @65 289 coupe 190k
    62 Falcon, 150k
    88 5.0w 5lb Paxton blower, 200+k
    88 Ranger 4x4 4 cyl,250+k !

My current two are 81 Econoline ext 4.9 6 cyl @ 330k 100%all orig. ONLY a water pump ,+ alternator & cap & points
    2003 E350 7.3 Diesel @230k The Last of
    close to 100% Made in USA Fords.
    The 03 diesel was pushing the boundries..

Still a 1970 390 F250 & a 69 GMC 6 cyl in the family that are (still running) orig motors & transmissions.

All mine bought used w approx 100-200k. Motors were strong and just didn't fail.

Admittdly.... everything else was s***, old suspension etc . but the core bones "the motor" those things just held up. And I've spent many a day cursing changing ancillary bolt-ons..
    And just say no to O'Reilly's or AutoZone etc..! For the most part only factory parts unless you're upgrading

I'm certainly not saying that old cars are better as a whole, new vehicles we know are vastly superior in almost every way. Try driving any 60s 70s or 80s car on the freeway at 80 miles an hour..Dear Jesus.. newer engines are far & away capable in general of higher performance, but not so much .long term longevity.. sure for the 5 to 7 years a lot of people have them they're great ...after that.

You can drive any new Toyota or Honda etc.. well over 100 mph, while drinking coffee and reading your phone... And actually stop & turn!

I would argue that the American/ Import engines of the last 20 years are definitely subpar in "Long Haul" core reliability.. frankly I believe they are engineered for obsolescence.
    The extreme cost of replacement parts for the newer generations is obscene.
    Replacement transmission for my Audi was quoted@ dealer $16,000.. fir a car bluebooked @ 8k max. .Of course I didn't do that.. my friend's newer generation Fords both had engine failures.
    My mother bought a PT Cruiser God help her and a Pontiac something or other that blew up with only $75,000 MI.. Toyota's have had a couple generations of stinkers too,
    Co workers Chevy Bolt caught fire.. And..don't get me started on Subarus I know about 15 people (myself included) where the motors died... I f**king hate those things.

What's sad, It's the extreme cost of new vehicles Plus the horrible rebuild costs inflicted by the owners for that much money it should be a lifer if you choose it to be with (modern technology)

50,60 -90 k for Broncos,Raptors, Rubicons etc... Then you have an issue like the new bronco or the valves are failing and destroying the engines.. I mean a warranty is fine and dandy but what happens to the thousands of poor people that go past their 3-year 50,000 mile crappy warranty...
    There screwed for countless 1000s of dollars.

There are some examples just (incredible) reliability that being the old 7.3 diesel,/Toyota v-6 3.4 / Toyotas incredible V8s multiple Hondas,even the 1.5 Scion xB . All these engines are proving to go well into the 300,000+ mile range in the diesel many are up around 600+k and more. All these designed and engineered around the turn of the millennium.