1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Same here, been riding Royal Blue and Windrock fairly regularly over the past 5 yrs and have only saw a handful of any Can Am, a couple of Wildcats, maybe 3 YXZs, and the rest have been some version of RZR. Will be curious to see how that Talon does on these types of trails. If that dual range transmission works well, it will be interesting to see if Yamaha goes that route with the YXZ.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

X3 and YXZ have been out only 2 years. Polaris was the one to get. Around here there are x3's everywhere. Local dealer sells shit load of them.
    Craiglist is loaded with RZR's which is good for those looking in to used market.

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

That goes to my point....X3's are a dry, gravel-ish roads, dunes, open area, baja, west coast/southwest kinda rig. It's the sports car of the SxS's. Which isn't a bad thing. They look badass, handle like a dream (in open areas), great power (top end anyway, RZR has more low end and into the midrange grunt), etc...But on slow, tight, twisty, muddy, rutted, root infested, algae covered -smooth -wet boulders of trails, the X3 will and do get left behind.....if you ever saw one on a trail that is.

Different rides for different environments.....just like motorbikes.

Polaris definitely needs competition. Their quality has suffered because of lack of it. It has gotten better over the past 2 yrs. In part because of the yammi and the x3. Hopefully with Honda in it, quality across the board will improve.

I'm anxious to see these Hondas in action and how they hold up. If they come out with a 170 hp turbo setup, i'd be interested.

4. TWF2

I have been in trails like that and did not get stuck yet. Must be east vs west thing :). Maybe I come over one day and try it.
    I did get in snow I could not get through one time.

Attached Files:

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Fire up the sled!

Banditracer likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Talon prices are out...
    X - $20K
    R - $21K
    This places the R between Yamaha's YXZ1000R SE and SS SE.

7. gapman789

That will be a tough sell if dealers dont move off of msrp.

You can get an '19 Polaris XP Turbo with 60 more HP for $4-5k less. But Honda perceived quality and the DCT tranny may be big enough factors to get people running to Honda. I know i'm interested to see how they hold up and if a Turbo line comes out.

I've no complaints about my machine, but then again, it only has 300 miles on it.

I paid $16,300 for my '18 XP Turbo in Jan. of 2018. It wasn't like it was a year end close out deal when i bought mine.

8. fastfreddie

An extra $5K certainly puts the dampers on but, considering Honda makes pretty good stuff over a full spectrum of vehicles and powered equipment, the asking price might be indicative of qualities that other MFGs can't touch.

I could prolly get my local dealer to knock off $2K without any disagreement...more, if I pushed it.

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Thread revival. Just picked up a 2017 CanAm Maverick X3 Xrs turbo. Holy cap this thing is WILD!!! 175hp and $6000 shocks. The fact that you can leave black stripes on pavement with an ATV is crazy. Bought it cheap to just turn around and make some cash but Damn, it has me thinking twice about selling. 20200605_143640_resized.jpg

10. gapman789

Keep it. Its incredible what these things can do.

11. zertrider

Have owned a 2013 RZR 50in wide for a couple years now. Much more practical for the trails I ride, but not nearly as fun in open areas.

12. TWF2

Things they can't do is more exiting :)
    I rolled my on side, flipped it over backwards. My buddy just got one and first ride we went he rolled his couple times :)

Attached Files:

13. fastfreddie

That's a nice cab. Does it have heat?

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

You should see what they can do when you make em with a single cylinder motor and 21/18 wheel stagger.

650 RACER likes this.
  15. gapman789

I could see me flipping mine in a more open setting. Woods/mountains riding is very slow, for me anyway. I don't think ive had my turbo over 40 mph and that was on pavement.

16. zertrider

No heat. But there seems to be enough engine heat to keep it warm on chilly days. The glass windshield and wipers with sprayer is about $1800cnd:eek:

17. zertrider

So why buy a turbo then?

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did you rip the wheel off it or is that the spare ?

19. fastfreddie

zertrider, it may be $1800CND but it looks like it. Full-wrap canvas, shaped glass, wiper...that stuff ain't cheap. I think Honda wants $600US just for their Talon windshield and it's flat! I started looking at the full-cab, door enclosures, wiper, etc. and said, "Pfft, I'll wear a swimsuit in the summer and a wetsuit in the winter."
    (First, I gotta get the SxS. :D)

It's crazy-sick what these things are capable of compared to the original Razor. I'd have to play with slammin' it, puttin' on some sticky street rubber and somehow convincing the PA State Police that it had turnsignals so I could put a tag on it. :crackup:

20. zertrider

The windshield and wipers are $1800 alone. The rest of the cab enclosure parts are another $900-$1000.