1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You ever consider sponsoring a sanctioning body? :D

badmoon692008, pscook and vfrket like this.
  2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Man, I could see me getting an RS-1 down the road and do some racing with it.

Being able to see your front wheels would be cool.

On a side note, got my lst recall on my Turbo for a heat shield or something for the fuel pump. Dealers have a STOP SALE order until all units in inventory are fixed.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Been rumored since June. Now it's official...
    Honda Unveils All-New Talon 1000X and Talon 1000R -

Some stuff maybe not mentioned in the article...
    - Same basic engine as their Pioneer and Africa Twin but they gave it a bigger cam and, I think, pistons/rods/crank...claimed 104HP. Does 70MPH.
    - Dual range, six-speed DCT.
    - Honda worked with Maxxis to develop a tread pattern and compound for the 28-9x15 and 28-11x15 tires.
    - 13" ground clearance on the R, 12.7" on the X.
    - Both models are identical with two exceptions, suspension and graphics. Honda worked with Fox to develop the shocks. The X is a three-link rear with Fox 2.o shocks and the R has a four-link rear with Fox 2.5 shocks. The control arms on the R add 5" of travel, 5" of width and 5" of wheelbase.
    - The X weighs 1490lbs and the R weighs 1545lbs.
    - These are made in the USA...engines come from Japan.
    - Typical Honda fit and finish, easily making them the finest SxS on the market come Spring (April).
    - 40 accessories planned to be available from Honda Powersports.
    - Pricing will be released in January.

Who wants to buy a kidney?

blkduc and Razr like this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

So THAT'S where the superbike development budget went. A new side by each.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think Can Am has a turbo'd one that puts out 180 hp so as usual they're still behind.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Short of the DCT, which I think will be a pretty interesting idea for this market, I do not see anything else about it that others already have not done better.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Even the Textron Wildcat XX has 130hp on the non-turbo model, and that thing is a beast.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's where they are making money. Would be stupid not to invest in the market.

9. gapman789

This is a good review/comparison.

Iirc, they will offer a turbo as an accessory, like they initially did (or still do) with the can am x3 series.

10. fastfreddie

11. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

This is exciting, I almost wish they didn't do this because now I really want one.

12. fastfreddie

No shit.
    The only way I could do it is to Boccarp my humble stable and forget I ever knew anything about two wheels. :(
    I've been in a few of the other brands. They remind me of lawn tractors with suspension. Shitty sound, awful vibration, industrial fit and finish - except the Yamaha...they don't make lawn mowers. :D

blkduc likes this.
  13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They can all kiss X3 ass :)

14. gapman789

The consensus on the x3 is great if you’re in the dunes or wide open spaces.

The visibility makes them suck severly for any kind of woods/trails/rock crawling.

And that only 2 of the $30k models come with full time 4wd. The others have that limited slip or whatever thry call it, crap in the front.

You might see 1 variation of the x3 for every 500 rzr’s in the TN mountains.

15. TWF2

I don't go to dunes and avoid wide open spaces. This are trails behind my house, white ones are 80mph but red ones are all up/down mountains, narrow and full of rocks. I have zero issues with visibility or 4wd.

Attached Files:

cBJr likes this.
  16. gapman789

I tried to love the X3 and came very close to making the deal on one.. But after sitting in a few, without even going on the trails, the visibility was terrible for me. It's more like a sports car, sits low. Especially once strapped in with 4 or 5 point harnesses. No way you can even begin to lean forward or to the side to try and see where the hell you are. IMO of course.

And after watching videos of the non-fulltime 4wd cars , struggling on what seems to be easy, dry, hill climbs, i opted out.
    And parts availability seemed to be a huge concern from can am owners.

I'm no RZR fanboy by any means. I have't had any issues with my '18 turbo yet. And got about $25k in the thing. That's decent ZO6 money right there.

The shock therapy stage 4 suspension kit was the best $$ ever spent on this thing.

rzr haspin4.JPG

17. TWF2

Not sure who those guys are but I have climbed everything I tried. Not sure about parts, I only replaced A arm twice and sway bar links few times and dealer had them in stock. He probably ordered those the minute I bought sxs :). My was $23k out the door, still all stock, 2000 miles on it now.
    Here is picture of that same area above, I have been on the top of every mountain you see there.

Attached Files:

18. TWF2

This one is at 8000 elevation, been on top of all of them as well :)

Attached Files:

19. fastfreddie

In that last pic, if you launched over them rocks towards that logging trail at the bottom, you'd be riding a typical east coast trail. In fact, we look for that shit. That other pic? We woulda turned that into a parking lot for the haulers.
    West coast can kiss East coast ass! :)

That is a pretty sweet trail system you got goin' tho'. Any idea how many miles of trails or acreage?

20. TWF2

That is just little piece of BLM behind the house to make lunch run :). Whole state is open so about half east coast.
    Both picture are same mountain top, first one looking north and second south (that is California in background).