1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

? I re-read my post 7 times and didn't see where i said that. A 1600 miles machine is a tough sale. The consensus seems to be that you're better off buying new vs a machine with over 1000 miles, if your money situation allows it. You just don't know what kind of miles they were. A road driven SxS with no scratches underneath with 2000 miles is far different than a 2000 mile machine that's been beat to death by the average fearless drunken youngster in the woods with the fellas.

People are so upside down on these things, the used ones are being listed for more than a new one or just slightly under new retail.

I can get a new '17 XP1k for $14,300. People buy a new machine with tax/title/fees added on, and finance $5000 worth of accessories on top of that, and all of a sudden they have a $22,000 machine...and after a year they try to sell it for $20,000 to pay the lien.

Just like streetbikes....I"m looking a getting a late model GSXR 750....John has a '17 in the classifieds with 1000 miles, MSO for 8800. People are trying to sell their '12 GSXR 750 with 15k miles for 7800, because that's probably the payoff with the bank.

I've been looking at buying a SxS for about 2 yrs. I've seen a lot of ads and they can be ridiculously priced.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Is it a Polaris? Move the decimal place to the left.....

3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

It's a Polaris and I got it new. No it was not quite 16 thousand dollars but it was close enough.

4. zippytech

??? I wish I got it for 1600 hundred.

5. The amount people finance on those things is just as nuts as the people loaning them the money. Talking with a guy at my local dealership and he said they avg about 3500 in financed accessories, that’s f ing nuts. I looked at getting a couple new ones before I got my jeep. I got a great exec discount on my new Jeep but even if you add that 3500 back in, about 10k in lift, wheels, other suspension stuff, etc I’m still just about the same as a couple too of the line ones (1 4 seat and one 2 seat plus trailer) of them with just basic accessories. Plus my jeeps still worth a lot more in resale, maybe not as fun off-road but I use mine for all it has in it and it’s close.

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I meant junk after 16 miles....lol

7. zippytech

you got that right

8. gapman789

I be paying with cash for sure.

So when i sell it for $11k in a year, it wont hurt so bad when i put $11k in my pocket.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The only argument I've heard for buying a rzr over a jeep or taco that can be driven on the freeway with AC and cruise control to the wheeling spot is how soft the rzr rides compared to 4x4 trucks. My girlfriends back and neck are bad but she can handle the rzr all day long

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I hear WV allows SxSs on the road, legally, if it's one lane in either direction. PA is being lobbied for the same.

11. gapman789

A lot of states do....This was last summer smack dab in Cincinnati on I-75. A buddy I work with sent me these pics he took.
    You can plate a golf court and or SxS in Indiana.

In Ohio, it's a matter of the lien holder changing the title from 'offroad' to passenger.
    Sheffield who specializes in powersports financing, will do this upon request.

A guy on the RZR forum said the BMV asked him if it was a convertible or coupe. :)

rzr highway2.jpg rzr highway.jpg

12. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Are the older 800 rzrs any good, or total junk?

Seems like a lot of fun for 5-7k

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No tags, registration or insurance in WV, tho' liability is suggested. Two requirements, helmet and speed limit.

14. That would probably change my mind on buying one.

15. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Call your insurance company and ask them about coverage before you "plan" on that. The lack of DOT approved tire options had the insurance companies cancelling coverage here in Michigan which effectively shut these down on the roads. (No insurance = no plates in Michigan)

16. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I may be a bit biased here but I've driven them all and have plenty of seat time in the YXZ manual shift and the sport shift in the tight and muddy Georgia terrain. I've never had a problem in any of the YXZs. Go into your local polaris dealer and ask them how many $200 Polaris drive belts they keep in stock. FWIW, YXZs are manufactured in Newnan GA, Polaris and CanAm both are made in Mexico. Also Polaris just came out with yet another recall on their SxSs catching fire (still). None of them are terrible, although I'd rather buy something new if you can afford it, since there is really no way of checking a used SxSs history.

17. gapman789

Seems like RZR's have been catching on fire for years.

I looked at Yamahas. Just like with the rest of them, they have/had their problems. Clutches before the SS models didn't last very long. Geared waaay too tall. Weak roll cages. The Yamaha and Can am X3 seemed to be more at home in open areas.

18. gapman789

I don' t plan on tagging it, no reason to.

In Ohio, you only have to sign a paper stating that you have insurance and not show proof of insurance when you get your plates, unlike Indiana where you have to show proof.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I was between Yamaha and X3. I thought Yamaha would be harder for climbing steep hills and rocks at lower speed due to clutch.
    Very happy with X3, 1300 hard miles with 0 issues.

20. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Depends on how well they were maintained. Still see several of the older RZRs out where I ride. Mine's a '14, so not necessarily "old" yet. I change the differential fluid, transmission and transfer case fluid, oil/filter and air filter regularly. Grease the zerks on suspension and drive shaft after every ride cleanup. Once a year I pull the skid plates to get all the dirt out and just to check things over. Also disassemble and clean the suspension bushings yearly. The big thing I've found on the forums is that the 800's have a potential issue with the pinion nut backing off and grenading the rear differential. It's on my list of things to check out sooner than later, but I'm still under 1K miles, so I'm not that concerned yet.

Seems the RZRs just require more preventative maintenance and general attention than most other toys. Not a bad thing, just something one should know before purchasing one. It's not like my KDX-220, where I can mix some gas, get it dirty, spray it off, oil the chain, then do it all over again next weekend.

dickie doo likes this.