1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I just cant find anybody say that the XYZ ( i know its zyx or whatever, but xyz is naturally easier) is a better woods/trail machine.
    The Yammi is purpose built for the track, dunes, open areas....

Id like to see a video of an XYZ conquering a semi steep hill, rocky hill .

2. gapman789

Junk may not be the right word, but they're new to the SXS game and what they have is a purpose built race machine. Lower center of gravity, firmer ride, manual tranny, shift light for crying out loud.....its for wide open areas. Every promotional video by Yamaha shows it in wide open country. Its built for speed...but its not any faster than the XP 1000 turbo.

A quick search is all it takes.

3. gapman789

Sounds like my kind of riding style, nice and easy. My silly ass will probably be driving arouund mudholes like potholes on the highway. Im a clean freak when it comes to the toys. Definitely would get the lower doors, mud flaps in case I can't turn around. lol.

4. gapman789

-tie rods bending in lst hour of new machine, both in 6 hrs....in the sand?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My buddy has a YXZ...bumpers, winch, 4-point harness, etc. He raced a 250R quad fifteen years ago and is a former Trials champion.

When he rides away from his property that has a creek, he gets together with a couple RZR1000HOs, an 800 Cat and some other sport SxSs at a PA offroad park. I take my Jeep.
    The YXZ flat out gets it through everything that my buddy throws at it. Water, rocks, hills, tight woods and any combination thereof to include all. That's PA.

He took it to a local MX park to compete in a multi-mile loop hare scramble. Never having done that before, he was running second and catching the leader when he hit a tree flyin' up a muddy hill that most everyone else was struggling with...bent tie rod. But, c'mon, he was doin' like 40mph.
    So far, the only "con" he's mentioned is the lack of a dual-range transfer case, but he doesn't seem to have any problems crawlin'. The "pro" is an available supercharger kit.

After hearing/seeing this thing run, I can no longer appreciate those lunchbox-transmission models.
    And how the hell are people burning up a clutch in the water? It's internal.
    Like someone else said, rider error. You'll be fine.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yam. isn't new to the sxs game. They started building the original Rhino 12 years ago.

7. gapman789

eh, apples to oranges here.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Two things:

1. You already have the trailer to haul it, right?

2. $18,500+ should get you a good used Jeep.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

First couple of times, I tried to get it showroom clean, but it's just a PITA. Now I shoot for "maintenance" clean. Looks good from 20 feet/20 mph :) Some other shtuff you might want to consider is a spare tire, as well as a small electric compressor and plug kit. Good insurance to have out in the woods. I was too cheap to get one of the lock and ride boxes, so I got creative with a couple of ammo cans to put my tools, straps, etc in. We take the camel backs for water and have a roof bag for snacks.

10. gapman789

Trailer - check. Im in heavy highway construction....trailers, equipment, etc...

A jeep? What the hell is a jeep gonna do? Pull the trailer and RZR?

Razr likes this.
  11. gapman789

I saw a lock down box that has a flat, plastic container that holds 2 gallons of gas and locks down on top of the box too.
    Rear view mirror(s) too are a must.

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Get you something for that kind of money that you can legally drive on the road.

13. gapman789

I have 3 trucks and 2 motorcycles to drive on the road. Not sure I need or want a jeep.

14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Wildcat X has the best chassis/suspension of the bunch. The RZR has a nicer and more refined interior, but they are harder on belts than the cat. Top spec RZR is a couple mph quicker but nothing crazy. I'd personally go with the cat, I've never been impressed with Polaris quality. Either way both the cat and RZR are great. The Can-Ams are too expensive and like to catch fire.

The SXS forums are hard to deal with. They remind me of model specific sport bike forums, where theirs are the best and everything else is junk so take them with a grain of salt.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

We can legally drive them on the roads here in Utah.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

So why are you asking opinions on something you think you already know?

I promise you that Yamaha that sucks will outlive that piece of shit RZR by a lifetime or two.

Polaris build quality is non existent, they're parts are made of swiss cheese. Go look at the brake pads and rotors on that piece of shit. It's garbage. The a-arm bushings are garbage. The frames are weak as shit. Even the accessibility on some basic maintenance shit is a joke. The whole thing is made to look good on the showroom floor and then you can spend another $10K repairing the shit and paying the aftermarket to re-engineer Polaris fuck ups.

But hey, it's your money. BTW, I don't have either. I just worked at a small shop where we had to beat Polaris owners off with a baseball bat cause the Polaris dealer down the street didn't want to work on them. Think about that one for a minute.

cav115 likes this.
  17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You new here?

18. gapman789

I was looking for real life owner experiences on the RZR S 1000 vs the XP 1000 moreso than anything, as the title suggested.

You guys are missing the 1 big key point....The XYX is more for open areas, high speed shit...like sand dunes and dragstrips, and even then its not the fasteset or most powerful. More fun in that type of riding with the stick? , sure, I'll give it that. Sounds damn good too.

It's like If I wanted to plow a field, I wouldn't use a cadillac. If I want to go tight woods/hill climbs type riding, I wouldn't use an XYZ for that either.

You can't find a video of the XYZ in the woods unless it breaks down or is stuck. Tests and reviews by all the dirtmags are all in open riding areas and simple walk-arounds of the machine. There's no mention or talk of the XYZ of being a capable woods/trails machine, escpecially compared to the RZR's.
    There are a ton of woods racing, trails videos...but none that have a XYZ in it....especially a favorable one. Why is that? Because it is superior to the RZR? No, because it sux in those conditions.

My buddy in Nashville, has had a Can Am, hated it. Another had a RZR, got the newest/greatest Arctic Cat and hates it, going back to the RZR. And another had a RZR 800s for years, with no major/frequent issues that didn't keep him from buying a new RZR XP4-seater. I guess those are the 3 supporting opinions im looking for.

And just with anything, I'll be getting aftermarket eeeerrythang....Axles, high-clearance/stronger A-arms, drive belt, (keep the OEM stuff for spares). Other than that, the Prostar motors are solid as shit.

19. ped

ped Banned

sounds like you're comparing a raptor to utility atv

OTOH anything I've seen, owned, worked on of polaris is junk. You know the big four make rock solid stuff, why guess?

It's like asking 650 twin: Hyosung or suzuki?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    ts199 likes this.
  20. gapman789

Obviously you haven't done the research like the others pedro. Polaris IS the BIG 4 combined when it comes to SxS's. Troof.

Here ya go...scroll to the bottom of this page.... http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/official-youtube-video-thread.215117/page-515