1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on screwless exterior trailers

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, May 17, 2015.

1. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Just sold my old trailer to upgrade to something a litte nicer. Looking into a trailer with the fold-out bed, AC, awning, rubber coin floor, etc.

I think i've decided on the United XLMTV series trailer customized to my liking. The only thing is that it is a glued exterior. I've heard mixed things about screwless. My Father-in-law bought a south GA special 8.5x22 and wanted the screwless, but the sales guy talked him out of it that it wasn't as good.

So, what sayeth the beeb on screwless exterior trailers? I've linked the trailer line i'm considering here and will customize it to my liking.

http://www.united-trailers.com/XLMTV

Thanks!

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Subscribed. Looking at a new trailer myself and considering the smooth sided version. They referred to it as "taped seams".

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Adhesive bonded panels when properly done are stronger than riveted. That being said properly done is the important part.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: I used to sell trailers until a couple years ago, some of the new adhesives they use are pretty damn impressive.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Local dealer told me replacing panels is not as easy as on screwed.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The guys that do vinyl wraps around here dont mind the screwless type panels.
    With all the options listed you desire it sounds like its going to be expensive anyways. If I were sleeping in a trailer I would definitely want at least 3 windows.

7. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Yea, got the windows covered. Just trying to get a sense of what others with experience think of the glued exterior vs screwed. Seems the glued is on the higher end trailers, so one would have to think it's supposed to last a while..

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I have screwless on my Wells Cargo but only because it came standard on the model I bought. There are pros and cons for each so I don't think anyone can definitively say which one is "better". Perhaps cheaper trailers don't have the proper engineering and adhesives experience?

On a budget if it's an option I'd get many things before screwless exterior...1 piece roof, torsion axles, covered floor, insulation, etc..

9. dcemotorsports

dcemotorsports Well-Known Member

I had the "screwed on" panel 6x12 before my current "glued on" panel 6x12. The "screwed on" panels warped and cracked after 6 years because of flexing, went to replace them and the expense was too much. Bought the "glued on" style instead. This is the second season and it looks so much better with flush sides rather than screws (IMO).

10. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

This will be a pretty high end trailer and it comes standard on this model as well which, I hope, means they the engineering/processing pretty down pat? I'm going to call United about it today just to ask about it.

Thanks!

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Then screw less is fine. I wish United would have been willing to build to my other specs because they offer the tilt out bed option.

12. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

My family owns a truck body (van body/box truck) manufacturing company and we offer a riveted or rivetless (bonded) body. We did extensive testing, on our own and with 3M, on the bonded panels before offering it to our customers. 3M claims that the bonded panels are stronger than the riveted, but we still believe the riveted is stronger. And we tested it following 3M's procedure with prep, adhesion promoter, correct temperature, and cure time. We destructively tested both side by side, by pulling, twisting, pushing (everything you can think of) and it literally took a sledge hammer to get either to fail.

One thing that is important though, is how the aluminum panels are secured at the top and bottom. There definitely should be some sort of fastener through the extrusion, plate, or post at the top and bottom.

So with that being said, the bonded panels are plenty strong enough if done correctly. I would have no problem buying a trailer that was "screwless" or "rivetless." If graphics or vinyl wrap is applied, I would definitely recommend a trailer that was bonded.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Looking at how some of these trailers are built, the wall material will give up before the bond will. That metal is THIN! It reminds me of the houses you see with heavy, deadbolted doors, only to have a thief just kick the drywall in and walk through the wall.

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I have a Pace American trailer from 2006 with bonded panels and I've had no issues. Much nicer looking than rivets IMO. If I were building a new one, I'd opt for .040 or .050 panels vs. the standard .030. The thicker aluminum will be less wavy.

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

There are aircraft manufacturing companies that have been gluing the aluminum skins on planes for several decades now. The sheet metal itself is stronger because there hasn't been thousands of rivet holes poked in it. The metal-to-adhesive bond is the key and the level of quality control is what really matters. If one rivet fails, it's no big deal.... If one bond fails it is a very big deal.

As has been said, it works very well if done properly.

Last edited: May 18, 2015