1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Did a lot of research on the Fun Movers back in 2003 when I bought a motorhome. Decided to go with a 24' Class C instead. It had a nicer layout, more interior room, and drove better than the Fun Mover. It was the perfect size when pulling a 6x10 with 2 bikes. (saved me $15k after buying and outfitting the trailer)

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Turns out the wife and kid are tiki bar and resort pool snobs lol

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think this is about the ideal setup. You don't have to buy a dedicated tow rig like you would with a trailer toy hauler and you don't have to live with your bikes or have wasted space if you're not on a bike related trip.

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

bummer dude.
    Send some info if you would.

6. Riders Discount

The biggest benefit was that I was able to back my trailer into my garage for added security (Someone went through and broke into a few motorhomes one summer in our area and they only took my radio instead of my bikes/tools)

7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Ours is 13'4" to it's peak. Most of trips are well known to various tracks. For others we have a rv gps which uses the vehicle size in route planning. So far no issues, I do sometimes hear the radio antenna scrape.

panthercity likes this.
  8. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

It seems like anything over 12' would be constantly hitting tree branches in the towns around here. I'd hate to tear up stuff just getting to my house.

panthercity likes this.
  9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Ouch, sorry man.
    I feel your pain. How bout this: exactly 1 week after we closed on our beach condo in St. Augustine my wife casually mentions how she "really doesn't like sand." :eek:

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

It's definitely a dilemma regarding toy hauler vs motorhome pulling a trailer. The motorhome is nice to travel in together. The lady can climb back and take a nap, etc. But once you're setup at camp how do you run to the store, etc?

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Agreed. We have a TH now and the garage does a decent job of turning into a bedroom but... it's still a garage.
    I'd do a small A or a C and a 6x12 if I could start over.
    Knew a racer in '09/'10 that bought a Fun Mover and sold it within a couple months. Said driving it scared the Hell out of him.
    What is wrong with them? Weight distribution, geometry?

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wanna trade lol

t11ravis likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fun Mover is a Ford Class C with a garage on the back, right? I bet it's a combination of geometry and weight. My E-350 drives very differently if the weight (bike) is in front of or behind the rear axle. In the fun mover, the entire garage is way back behind the axle. Plus that I-beam front suspension is shit. Camber changes wildly as it moves up and down, so pressing down on the back raises the front, making it squirrelly. Finally, most are aligned with very little caster. They need a bunch to drive right.

Riders Discount likes this.
  14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We carry a street legal mc. Often a klr which is a perfect pack mule bike. Most of the time our trailer is loaded with 5 or 6 bikes.

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I hear that, but say it's raining cats and dogs and you need to run somewhere? I guess it all depends on your setup and what you're doing. I have nothing against motorhomes. I actually really like them, but that would be my one hang up.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Uber?

Bruce likes this.
  17. Riders Discount

Ours was small enough to run to the store, however we always had a list of what we needed for the weekend and rarely did we need anything that wasn't on that list.

t11ravis, Bruce, 5axis and 1 other person like this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

usually if all goes well... I like to stop ahead of getting to my destination. Otherwise its "meep meep" on the scooter. :D

Bruce likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

ha! my wife told me a couple months after buying a condo in Panama City how she hates the drive there...lol. Before that it was "Oh we will be able to spend so much time with her family"...lol.

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

That and other friends in the paddock who can grab this or that for you when they make a trip out.
    Want margaritas, bring ice.

jimmy.jpg

Bruce and TurboBlew like this.