1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Oh for sure. The engine braking is great. In the city I can let off the gas and it will bring itself to a almost a complete stop without having to use the brakes. Going down the mountains, I just let off the gas and it does its thing.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those three are where I go for info. Haven't bought used.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Check and see if you can turn/block off other vents and push more air to the bedroom. It would suck though. Ours has one bedroom on front.

One reason I love ours, built for racers not old people driving to Florida :D

Nice but stupid money. Build your own. 4 wire #6 gauge. Stove outlet from Home Depot or Lowes. On the male they have the ground as two parts making an L, just leave the horizontal piece out to match RV outlets.

Check your manual - never seen one pulling from the chassis tanks that didn't have the inlet tube for the genset where it will leave 10-15 gallons of diesel for the main engine.

Most RV fridges are 2way not 3-way so they'll run 110AC or propane. I run mine on propane then it switches over automatically when I plug in at the track. Very little 12v draw from the house batteries.

It's funny - mine have both had the auto setup - and I never use it. I prefer to do each corner myself and leave a little slope for AC and rain runoff. Since we're usually in a paddock I can choose which way it drains.

ekraft84 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If we were to ever get another I'd seriously consider buying a used semi and having one of the converters stretch it and put the box on. It'd be nice to spec it out exactly like I want without the expense of a brand new truck on top of the conversion. I still want one on a long nose Pete just for the style points :D

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

metabolism, menopause...whatever.
    65F to sleep is crazy cold.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Why do you think I'm shopping for my own RV .. :D

t11ravis likes this.
  7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I'm split between a W900 or pete 379 extended hood. Either looks darn good. The other plus would be getting a pre emission chassis to build off, less electronic stuff to go wrong under the hood.
    Ours is good ole MFI, reliable as a anvil.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My only issue doing that for real is the length and usability in RV parks. Doesn't matter at the track but you will be limited on the length of trailer you can pull without permits. Even private RV's need them at a certain length (I think FL is 65' for example) and mine is already 43' bumper to bumper, the trailer we had put it at 73' and it wasn't a big trailer by any stretch for the rig. Adding another 4-5' of nose could mess things up.

But damn would it look cool!!!! :crackup:

5axis likes this.
  9. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

My buddy has built 2 now, the first one rusted pretty bad from all the snowmobile trips so he built this one out of stainless. He can pull his extended cab truck in the back. Or 9 snowmobiles thanks to the stacker deck. It's an ok way to get somewhere.

Attached Files:

Eskimo and 5axis like this.
  10. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Coming home from Grattan a few weeks ago, we saw many 40'+ toters with large/ long stackers heading east on 80. ( there was some sort of National level club drag race at Rt66 ) They had to be way over length.
    The engines happy 1700 rpm spot puts us at about 65-67mph so the cops mostly ignore or just wave to us.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

He'd be a real good buddy if he let you put "419" on the side of her ..

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

He offered a few times for us to take his previous one, I didn't want to get a mortgage to fix it if anything happened.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is cool!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's how I found out about FL - there were rumors running throught the drag race guys that FSP was going to be enforcing the length laws one spring at the Nationals and for the bikes doing Pro Star same time as Bike Week. Since I was going to Daytona and heading through Gainesville I went ahead and got the permit. Easy to do really.

5axis likes this.
  15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Useful RV stuff.
    These folks saved us a bunch of money getting our RV fridge sorted out. http://rvrefrigeration.com/

The RV stealerships just wanted to sell us a new one.

XFBO likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool, link saved.

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Come find us Eddie. My wife is freezing if it's under 80. You'll thaw out quick!

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

F*in Lawtey/Waldo...
    Worst ticket factories in the USA!!

19. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do you have someone get out prior to stop signs and set up a brake marker?